Indians In New Zealand introduce yourself here!

Discussion in 'Indians in New Zealand' started by Kelly, Nov 7, 2007.

1. nimminaras

nimminaras New IL'ite

Re: Are there any NZ Indus ladies members??

Hi Roopa,

You will like NZ any time of the year - with its lovely seasons including winter which is brrrrrrrrrrr!!!

But the best time is during spring and summer when the place is full of color and just about everything is so beautiful. The months of October through to March/April is great for travelling in NZ.

Regarding where to travel - look at the site Thrifty Tours New Zealand Coach Tours Trains Ferries New Zealand Package Holidays NZ and it will give you an idea of the variety of areas you can look at and what your preferences are.

You dont need a guided tour but you will need to have a clear plan and booking done from India?. Your travel plans will be based on what you would like to see. When we started our travels we wanted to see the fiords and glaciers - so that is what we checked out and went on. Next time we are planning a trip on the trans-alpine.
    Both North Island and South Island are beautiful and worth seeing.

Hope this helps.

Nimmi :welcome

2. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Thanks Nimmi,

That was a useful piece of info promptly coming from you.

Does the same apply for Australia too.

Regards
    Roopa.

3. nimminaras

nimminaras New IL'ite

Hi Roopa,

I am not sure about Australia - but highly probable it is similar.
    New Zealand travel, take it slow and enjoy the natural beauty and live in lovely little motels/bed and breakfast places, book a vehicle, read and learn the road code and you can have a great time without having huge expenses.

Good luck in your travel.

Nimmi:2thumbsup:

4. mouli_7

mouli_7 New IL'ite

Can anyone frm NZ tell me abt places near auckland

Dear NZlites,
    We r moving to pointchevilar, auckland in april and we need to sent out a rental property near to pointchevilar, problem is we tried our best but didn't get any suitle property in point chevilar, so we are looking near to that place and we don't know anything about the suburbs near to it. We looked into westmere, Mt albert, kingsland. We liked a property in kingsland but tried to gather info of commuting distance frm kingsland to pointchevilar, but failed so plz can anyone give me an insight abt the suburbs of auckland, it will be great help as we have very short time to sort this out

Thanking you all in advance
    shwetha

5. needinfo

needinfo New IL'ite

Hi,

I am in India planning to move to Christchurch in 2 months as my husband is studying there.Can you help me in knowing about the Job Consultants in Christchurch.I am working currently in IT field in India.

6. Kelly

Kelly New IL'ite

Re: Can anyone frm NZ tell me abt places near auckland

Hi shwetha

Hope this advice is not too late!

I know a little about that area. I know the closest suburbs to Pt Chev (Short name) is Western Springs, Westemere, Grey Lynn, Ponsonby, Hernbay, Freemans bay

I think most of these areas are quiet close to the main town (within 15-20 min to downtown auckland Central) so I think rental prices can be quiet high, some of these areas are quiet posh & expensive. But I guess it all depends on the property that you end up choosing, but you can eventually find a suitable property.

Most of these areas have good bus transport - so no problem getting from place to place.

This may sound a bit racist, but I know that these areas there are a lot of "Europens/white people" the only couloured people you will see are the people at the surpermarket (yay it just like Adanis) This probably sounds a bit odd, but sometimes I have notice these things, as sometimes I feel out of place.:spin

Hope this helps you a bit

7. parveen9

parveen9 New IL'ite

Hi Nimmi, Kelly, Simrananand and the rest,

I am Parveen and have recently arrived in Christchurch to study PhD. It is a blessing to know what there are other indian ladies here.

Nimmi, i am really keen in voluntary work.. more for satisfaction and not for money. pls et me know how i can contribute.

Stay connected,
    Parveen

8. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Dear Friends,
    My niece is going to Victoria University of Wellington coming July. I would appreciate if someone could provide me with information about the social life there, what to bring from India, etc.. Appreciate your replies.

best,

9. nimminaras

nimminaras New IL'ite

Hi Parveen and Sindhu

Parveen, there is an organisation called Shakti in Christchurch which supports ethnic women in domestic violence. They would highly appreciate it if you were to do some voluntary work with them.

Sindhu, your niece is coming at the start of winter so she will need all possible winter clothing, including boots which will keep the wind and the cold out from the feet. There are heaps of Indian students in Wellington and she will be guided to the Indian students support groups once she comes in. Wellington is always windy and cold - but she will feel quite at home due to the large number of Indians and particularly the younger generation in Wellington.

Hope this helps and if you have any queries feel free to write and ask

Cheers
    Nimmi

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  10. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Thank you, Nimmi.
    How about chudidhars? Do you suggest her to get lot of chudidhars or a few?Do people wear it outside or just for the parties?

How about groceries? Do we get all indian groceries there? Does she need to bring some from India? She is coming on her own. She is planning to work part time during the evenings? Is it possible to get job easily?

Thanks again! Appreciate all your help.

regards,