Indians in Kenya

Discussion in 'Africa & Middle East - Other Areas' started by Raksha, May 10, 2007.

1. nashrin

nashrin New IL'ite

thanks alpa. sure will take your advise. i have told my husband to take 1 month leave and look the place first.

Nashrin

2. saviola

saviola New IL'ite

There's a lot of useful information provided by everyone here! I have been offered a job in Nairobi with a MNC and plan on relocating there (currently in Mumbai). They have offered a Housing allowance of approx 800 USD pm. Is this sufficient? I plan on settling in for 3 months before my wife joins me in Nairobi. Is it a safe place and what is the cost of living other than rent? I would appreciate your feedback on this. Thanks!

3. beautifulworld

beautifulworld New IL'ite

hi, alpa

I will be coming soon to nairobi..this month if you can please guide me where to buy furniture ,even second hand will do... as it will be convenient for the start up....and which school is good in primary division and the rent for houses ..I will really appreciate it .

thanks ,

m

4. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

hi
    where will you be staying, are you going to be relocated here if yes then your company will give you a flat or a house, and hten you can get in touch with the agents here and they shall show you furnished houses, for how long you will you be here and if your company is paying oyur rent then get a house in westlands or brookside, also where will you be working just let let me know so i cna help you in which areas you need to stay westlands or parklandsi better as it is indian area all grocery shops are in parklands we have diamond plaza it is mini mumbai.
    so post asap here
    love
    alpa:cheers

5. ansureeba

ansureeba Bronze IL'ite

Even though am not living in Kenya at the moment, i really miss that place...

Such a lovely place to be...

Love,
    Ansu

6. Highhort

Highhort New IL'ite

Hi apla,
    My name is bharathi I'm living in bangalore and i recently joined in this site. I'm going to move to kenya by 2010 june. my hubby is already working in Huge Rose form as a manager. I'll be staying alone in the town called Nakuru with my son who is 8yrs old because i can't stay with my hubby since there is no school near by his form. Can you pl. tell me Is it safe to stay alone in nakuru? and I am planning to work from home, is there any oppertunity to one for me. I am B.com graduate knowing computer and i have done Montessary teacher training. Can you suggest me something so that i can prepare myself before i come there. I appreciate your quick reply.

Regards,
    bharathi.

7. Diyasingh

Diyasingh New IL'ite

Hi everyone

We are considering moving to Nairobi for two years at least. Please i want honest feedback from all of you about What's will be the education scenario over there for my daughter. She has just moved into eighth grade..she is currently in a very good ICSC board school in gurgaon and is doing pretty good in studies. Since these are very critical years for her studies, our decision would be almost entirely based upon the schooling prospects for her in Nairobi. Are there really good International schools there..such as American School..or something at par...Will the quality of education be as good as she is currently getting here in delhi. Guys please help me in taking the right decision...Please let me knows some information on this as soon as possible...because I am losing my nights' sleep over this issue....
    Thanx
    Diya

8. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Diya,

if your daughter is in her final years i suggest that you let her finish her studies there, here the private schools are expensive and we have an American school which International School of Kenya, ISK, its a great school but extremely expensive.
    What are you planning to do here in Nairobi, do you ahve job offers? if not think again as right now there is reccession going on here.

love
    alpa:cheers

9. sudhak90

sudhak90 Senior IL'ite

hi diya,
    i've been in nairobi for quite sometime around 10 yrs back. my daughter had her first stint of schooling there- it's very good. as it's now reflected in her all round development. good schools like oshwal jain, aga khan academy, premier academy etc. are close to parklands, apredominantly indian locality. also many of teh teachers there are also indian.

once u live there, and leave , u'll miss that place-- such is the life in anirobi.

good luck sudha

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  10. Diyasingh

Diyasingh New IL'ite

Hi Alpa,
    Thanks a ton for ur prompt reply. Yes, my daughter is in eighth grade and therefore I am worried about the quality of education overthere. Expenses on education should not be a problem because it will be taken care of by the company where my husband works..(and yes my husband would be taking up a new role in his curent comp only and would be moving ther as an expat..so would not be affected by recession..but thanx for ur concern... it was really thoughtful).. the International schools do provide IGCSE curriculum..but do you think that the quality of education in these International schools would be really good.....and i am also apprehensive about the school environment, i mean... I hope there is no major bullying problems in the school...and my kids (younger son is in 1st grade) would be able to adjust there.... will really appreciate if u share some information on these points...will look forward to ur reply...
    Thanx
    Diya