Indians in Kenya

Discussion in 'Africa & Middle East - Other Areas' started by Raksha, May 10, 2007.

1. nashrin

nashrin New IL'ite

Hi Apha, my name is nashrin, I am gujarati from Upleta. right now based in Bangalore. I have one kid of 4 yrs old. my husband is planning to move to nairobi for good. before coming to bangalore we were staying in Dubai. i was trying to find some info on nairobi like cost of living, indian foodstuff and indians in nairobi and your post was very helpful. thanks for that... but onething is troubling is about the family status...like in Dubai husband should have resident visa to call the family and should have income more than 5,000 Dhirams. is there any such rule to call the family in Nairobi? i am not success in google. can you please help me out with this.

thanks and pls do keep in touch as we can be good frens when i am in nairobi. ...ya one more thing which is the best / cost effective and safe place to reside in nairobi.

Bye - Nashrin

2. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

HI Nashrin,
    has your husband found a job in Nairobi or does he any friends here or relatives, has he ever been to nairobi? you get all indian food stuff here the ration and everything most of the shops are indian owned and we have DIAMOND PLAZA which is indian hangout with shops and everything, if he is of indian origin he will haveto get permit dpeneds which one investment or working permit.
    Life is good here, not as fast as india and the weather is like banglore.
    the cost of living is high and hte rents are expensive as well if you are planning to stay in parklands or westlands these are indian based areas all indian shopsare here and we have good supermarkets here as well.
    so you need to be clear about what i have asked you.
    Right now economy is not good here and so a lot expats are moving back to india.
    I am gujrati too.
    looking forward to your response
    alpa:cheers

3. nashrin

nashrin New IL'ite

Hi Alpa, thanks for your reply. my husband is planning to start a business in nairobi. business of used clothings. his partner who is into this business for years in india and he exports used clothings & shoes in Africa. he wants his trade office to be based in Nairobi so he wants my husband to be based in nairobi.

no he is coming there for the first time and he dont have any friends or relatives there.

he will be coming there on visit and will need to work on BUSINESS LICENSE and everything. is it easy to get a license for busienss? i was thinking if he is on visit can i also join him and start leaving or do we need to first take residense permit to stay.

Nashrin

4. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

hi,

he is doing second hand clothes business right. right now work is not good here and the second hand clothing business is not good, also to get licenses here these days is very expensive. If he has been to Nairobi he should know the situation better, when was he last here. i am not trying to scare or anything am just giving you the reality of nairobi these days, and form monday we have been having a lot of riots in the down town city.
    In nairobi rents are quite high nad living expensesare high as well, things have become very expensive here. your husbands partner exports to Africa has he exported to Nairobi? if no then right now its not the right time to invest here.
    I think your husband should first come here and survery and then decide.
    hope i have answered all your questions. i am telling you all this as i am in business as well and we all business people are suffering al ot due to al ot of licenses we need to take.

5. nashrin

nashrin New IL'ite

thanks Alpa,

yes alpa, he is doing second hand business. he has not yet visited nairobi but will soon visit.

His partner has exported in nairobi and lot of export to Uganda.

I am pretty worried about everything.

keep intouch alpa. my email id is lala_family at yaho dot com.

Nashrin

6. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    you say his partner has sent to nairobi nad uganda, is he still doing it and when was the last time did he export, do not be afraid, you haveto look at all angles and right now things are bad, if hid partner has exportedto nairobi then his partner would have visited nairobi? it would be better if your husband visits nairobi with his partner and see the situation himself.
    right now the second hand business is not good as we used to deal in it and right now we have stoppedit, infact we stopped 3 yrs back as one of the customer did not pay up and we were doing it from europe.

7. nashrin

nashrin New IL'ite

thanks for your reply. yes sure we will keep your advice in mind and will ask my husband to visit nairobi with his partner. when i told him all these things he was asking me how am i getting all these information and i told that i got a good fren who is in nairobi and passing me all these infos. thanks alpa. so nice of you... just one more thing:- how much a single bedroom rent will cost in parklands/westlands area per month basis...just for an idea.

:) Nashrin

8. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

ok in parklands they would go for around kenyashillings 30,000-40,0000 so conversion is
    1 INR = 1.75 KENYA SHILLING so around 25000INR
    westlands is expensive and oaso there is water shortage in both the areas.
    right now is not the time to come and i think your husband should come with his partner here as i feel there is something fishy, is your husband investing any money.
    i am just making you cautious.
    right now do not wind up anything i india, let him come and see and then stay here for a few months and see, life here is not like india it is totally different.
    dubai is like india butafrica is completely different, when he comeshere to visit where will he stay most good hotels in secured areas cost around 100$ this is 3 star i am talking about. taxis are expensive and local transport is not good, you need to have a car here to move around and if hte local police see you that you are foreigner you will be harrassed.
    i am just looking out for you.

9. nashrin

nashrin New IL'ite

thanks for your mail. no my husband is not investing any money...its his partner who is investing. my husband is right now working for a company in india.

the rents seems to be very high compare to india.

anyway thanks for everything. will keep intouch.

Nashrin

10. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

NAIROBI IS VERY EXPENSIVE AND THE COST OF LIVING IS HIGH. ASK YOU HUSBAND NOT TO LEAVE HIS JOB TAKE LEAVE AND COME AND SEE NAIROBI WITH HIS PARTNER FOR HIMSELF AND SEE. AS I FEEL RIGHT NOW THE ECONOMIC SITUATION IS NOT GOOD AND LEAVING A GOOD PAYING JOB AND COMING TO STRUGGLE HERE WILL MEAN STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN, GOOD PRIVATE SCHOOLS ARE EXPENSIVE.
    SO ITS UP TO YOUR HUSBAND TO DECIDE.
    ALPA:cheers