Indians in Egypt

Discussion in 'Africa & Middle East - Other Areas' started by Arunarc, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Curryqueen

Curryqueen New IL'ite

Hello Aruna,
    Sorry I didn't see your post. Nice to meet you! I am in the suburbs (Heliopolis). I am grateful I'm not in the centre of the city. We are building a new villa in a lovely area called Kattameya, and plan to move next year. I love all things Indian, and my family enjoy homestyle North and South Indian food. As I said, I have difficulty in identifying some of the lesser-known spices. I'd be grateful for any help with this!

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Curryqueen
    Kattameya is a beautiful place. I think lot of indian's stay there.
    Why don't you post the pictures of the spices, in case I know them can tell you. Hope I will be of some help to you:)

3. premabarani

premabarani Gold IL'ite

Hi.
    I am from Qatar. I am visiting Cairo to attend a conference for 3 days from 9 th Feb. & I will be leaqving on 11 th Feb. I will be free from 4-5 p.m all the days. I am coming alone, so I am little bit nervous. I would like to know the
    1. The places to visit in & around Cairo
    2. Thingsv & Souveiners to buy reasonably without bargainig( I went thro the older poste).
    3.Is It safe for to me to around & shopping alone there?
    4. Is there any guide to take me around you can suggest?
    Which is the safe mode of transport?
    I know I am bothering you much w3ith so many questions, But I am helpless & anxious.
    Thank you.
    Have a nice day
    Prema Barani

4. Arunarc

Hello Prema
    Mostly after 5 pm these places are closed.
    1. You can visit pyramids, go for the sound and light show as it will be in the evening, becoz after 5 pyramids are closed. you can ask the local guys to book for this evening show. Where you are attending the conference you can ask them to do it. These people are good in all such things.
    You can see the museum, there is cithadral but that too is closed at 5 or 6 pm.

2. Without bargaining you will not get anything you have too becoz once they come to know you are an outsider they will tell any price that comes to they mouth. You can buy many things like crystal pyramids, papyrus painting which is very famous. When you will go to Khanalkalili you will know what you want you will find many things around.

3. Egypt is not like before after those problems last year. Please do not go alone in the evening catch hold of someone who will take you around. I will advice you not to go anywhere out on your own.

4. In every hotel there will be some guides who will take you around, you can ask at the reception. They will help you. But these guides take you to those places where they have tie up with the people so be careful while buying something from those places. But they will show you around nicely.

5. Actually taxis and all were very safe before, but not any more dear. You keep a guide to take you around, even if a few pounds goes you will be safe with them.
    When going out do not wear any jewelery or carry too much of money, just as much as you want for the day.
    It is not a bother at all. Happy to help you. I would have taken you around in the evening but I am going for a short holiday on those days that you are coming.

Have any other query you can add or send a PM.
    Hope your trip to Egypt will be good.

5. premabarani

premabarani Gold IL'ite

Hi Aruna
    Thank you very much for your guidance.
    Is it so cold there( here it is around 14-16 ' c).
    Once I get to know my hotel I'll let you know.
    Thank you very much. It is my bad luck I could not meet you.
    Have a nice day.
    Prema Barani

6. Arunarc

Hi Prema
    Yes it is cold here too. Almost same as Qatar.
    Ya I know couldn't meet hope we will get an opportunity to meet in India. Becoz very soon I will be leaving Egypt for good.
    You too have a wonderful day.