Indians in Adelaide Australia

Discussion in 'Indians in Australia & NZ' started by vanitha335, Aug 3, 2012.

1. SYD2003

SYD2003 New IL'ite

Hi Shareon,

Reg. dress code: Yes, there is a dress code for interviews and for work in general. It is normally pant/shirt or skirt/shirt. I would suggest you to get some formal clothes. You can wear salwar when you are going out with your family or may be occasionally to work but not always!

Reg. Centrelink payment: It varies from family to family. Centrelink will guide you through that if you contact them directly during the first week or so after you come here.

Reg. shipping services: We also shipped things like mixer/grinder. It cost around 15000 Rs. (if I remember right). You can go through Yellow Pages and get quotes from different agencies and choose the one that you think is ok. I would have given you the name of the one we used but I cannot remember it now. We made sure that they wrapped the items in front of us and then carried it. Also do not forget to make a list of things that you send in shipping.

Shareon, our house is just enough for our family; if it was any bigger, I would've certainly asked you to stay with us until you find a place for yourself, sorry.

All the best.

1 person likes this.
  2. shareon

shareon Senior IL'ite

Thanks for response SYD, kind of you to make that statement of inviting us to share the place if feasible, totally understandable!

I am still looking out for suitable places, hope I zero in on one sooner.

3. abs2911

abs2911 Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am Abida.We(me,hubby&5yr Daughter) got our PR in November 2012 and planning to move to Adelaide soon. I am a Lighting Designer and my husband is a Transportation Modeller. We are in Qatar right now, were in UK for 4.5yrs.
    We are planning to come to Adelaide in April(for a week) to see how things work there, jobs and otherwise. After that we plan to move there in few months after we wind up things here.
    First thing I will be looking for is accommodation. I hear many mentioning house share, do you think its a good option till we settle a bit. We should look for jobs as soon as possible, school for my 5yr old too.
    What else are you guys bringing there apart from mixer/grinder:)
    We also plan to live close by to Indians so we can at least make friends and I hope I make friends here as well.

4. SaradhaRaj

SaradhaRaj Senior IL'ite

Well abida...u have juz begun making friends from india with me being the ribbon cutter!
    Hi to all indian ladies over there....as of nw am waiting for pr grant anytime soon as all submissions to diac are over...
    Shall update u guys once am on the mark to get set go...bye for nw.
    Happy new year to u all who are stepping into a new life...c ya.

5. abs2911

abs2911 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sharadha,

I presume it would just be a matter of days now till you have ur PR granted. Good Luck with that. Do you plan to move right after ur grant?
    Keep us posted.

6. shareon

shareon Senior IL'ite

Hi Abida,We have just another week to go before we fly out. Hopefully everything goes smooth along the way, the baggage weighs exactly as much as the airlines permit, my son sleeps like a baby (well, (literally) through the flight) and there are no flight delays and and people are sweet as can be, including the flight attendants and the immigrations folks.I am filled with mixed emotions now :) True, there are loads of websites with rentals/share accomodation. The best way forward would be to stay in a hotel for the first 2 days and then look out and move at the earliest, as long as you dont see AUD flowing in you have to be scrimpy with AUD flowing out.Although the thought of sharing accomodation is something that we are not used to, when necessity strikes, we've to reconsider I believe. What I think is we could change our mind when we arrive and consider what the rentals have to offer once we inspect the site and surroundings. I am unsure how immigrants are considered for tenancy esp when there is no surety of employment. I also strongly believe much of our questions would be solved on arrival.Oz folks, can we take noodle (Maggi) packs/coffee satchets/biscuit packs for baby as check in baggage? Any idea?I am returning after a short stay while my husband would continue to stay on.I will try to have all questions (silly or not :D) answered once I return. I am carrying pots and pans besides the mixer and what I think are basic necessities like bedspreads and pillows and towels, baby stuff, hand blender,small chopping board, I cant afford to take the grinder since it will eat up most of my allowance.Maybe next time.These are the things I can think of for now, you think anything is missing, let me know .Long talk,Shareon

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  7. SaradhaRaj

SaradhaRaj Senior IL'ite

Hi abida and shareon...
    Hows life yaar...we got our pr visa granted yesterday...thats y am having trouble sleeping
    ;-)...thot of sharing my excitement wid u guys.

Shareon : are u thr yet? Give me an account of ur trip...atleast the essence once u r done n settled. Ur hubby too is a mech engg? Wat abt his job hunt ideas...we could probably get our men some intro to each other...

Abida : wen r u planning to move? Wat made u choose adelaide? Am juz beginning to understand life at major cities so that we could direct my hubby's jobsearch...

Both of ur inputs are much solicited...keep in touch.

8. abs2911

abs2911 Bronze IL'ite

Congratulations Saradha, I know how u are feeling now, butterflies in the tummy :)
    We are planning to go in April for our first entry and see how things work there.We will go back next yr hopefully.
    We choose Adelaide coz we wanted fast immigration process and Adelaide seemed a nice place to settle in.
    So when are u planning to move? Do u have any kids of school age. I have one 5yr old.
    Shareon must have been in Adelaide by now and would be too busy to respond I guess. Lets wait and see what she has in store for us.

9. SaradhaRaj

SaradhaRaj Senior IL'ite

So true abida...am really not sttled from excitement yet...guess it will take time to sink in.
    Yep...am waiting for shareon's review...n urs too sjnce i wont be movin in untill june or july....
    I have a 4 year old son...5 going on,that is...he is into lkg...hw abt ur kid...schooling?boy/girl?
    Am beginning to like mel,adelaide as of nw...syd is costly i feel....let see which city offers us a job :)

10. abs2911

abs2911 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Saradha,
    I have got positive responses about Adelaide from many people and I have started to like it. We will go there in April or May for a visit. I will let u know all about it once we are back.
    I have a daughter 5yrs old, will turn 6 in may. By the time we are there permanently she must be almost 7. Now she is in Year 1, British Curriculum.
    Keep in Touch.