Indians in Adelaide Australia

Discussion in 'Indians in Australia & NZ' started by vanitha335, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Lavanyad

Lavanyad New IL'ite

Hi shareon,

My PR is still not granted, so have to wait till then. I'm a analyst programmer. how abt you? Have you got any friends/contacts in Adelaide?

2. shareon

shareon Senior IL'ite

Hi Lavanya,
    Still not got any contacts for the SA region. There are plenty of sites on rentals etc but not sure about the reliability.I am a system admin and left with no choice but SS.Hoping to find some relief soon :)

3. Lavanyad

Lavanyad New IL'ite

Hi shareon,

Even i was surfing the internet for accomodation, but not sure which suburb is best to live (safe, grocery stores & easily commutable). trying to get some help via online. i will keep in touch with you & update you if i have info.

1 person likes this.
  4. shareon

shareon Senior IL'ite

^^ Appreciate it :)

5. shareon

shareon Senior IL'ite

Hi All,
    Any further updates to your posts?

6. SYD2003

SYD2003 New IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

I live in Adelaide. Realestate.com and Domain.com are the most popular websites to look for rental accomodation. Any suburb in the radius of 12-13 kms to the city (centre of Adelaide) is considered to be good.

7. shareon

shareon Senior IL'ite

Thanks for your response, appreciate it. There are advertisement on rentals all across, since its a new country, which places in Adelaide would you recommend.
    I also would like to know if you could give a heads up on what to bring, what not to bring to OZ, based on your experience. Also is it mandatory that I have a baby car seat since I will be travelling via car/taxi from the airport. How does anyone manage that? I am just getting my stroller along :)

Any advice, appreciated

8. SYD2003

SYD2003 New IL'ite

No problem at all. I can understand how daunting it can be to move from India to another country; I have gone through the same situation.

I stay in the Southern part of Adelaide where there are suburbs like St Mary's, Mitchell Park, Ascot Park. These suburbs are pretty good. Like I said, most people look for suburbs in the radius of around 12-13 kms to the city (like the Majestic Bus Stand in B'lore).

Have you tried to get a service called "On Arrival Accommodation?" It is given by the Govt. for new migrants, although I couldn't get it because I applied for it very late. They give a house for the new migrants to stay for 2 months (or may be 3 months, I am not sure) but you have to pay rent. Within this time, the new migrants can look for a rental place and move.

Reg. baby car seat, I am not sure if they have them in taxis (I didn't have to use them so I don't know about it) but I will try to find out and get back to you.

Stuff to get here: There are many Indian grocery stores and you almost everything but if you make your own powders like sambar pwd or rasam pwd, I would suggest you bring them. Don't bring any item that contains milk and milk products (like ghee, etc.).

If you want to ask about anything particular that you want to bring, you can ask me and I will tell you whether it is ok to bring it or not.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ammu1

Ammu1 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shareon, actually many Indian shops r here as syd2003 said so I hope u can manage with tht cos bringing eatables r nt generally allowed...despite tht if u want to bring any sort of powders u need to mention tht in the immgn form bt I would say better to avoid those... when I travel to OZ I used to bring milk powder fr my 12 mnths old baby nd we had mentioned tht n the form...

If ur husband has international license tht too frm specified countries say US UK SINGAPORE, u can rent a car thro online with baby seat nd can drive frm the airport to ur destination cos we did like ths... otherwise normal taxis here wont hav baby seats I m nt sure abt wat taxi drivers ll say... if u stay n hotel fr sm days then the hotel ll arrange their car to pick up u frm the airport...hope ths info ll be useful... hav a gr8 day:)

10. shareon

shareon Senior IL'ite

Thank you SYD and Ammu for those replies, quite helpful. Although I wish to rent a home and not a share, I think during the initial period it would be moneywise to settle for a flatshare or houseshare till one of us finds a job. Regarding foodstuff am not keen on bringing anything except for some baby food which would be declared.

1.Is there a dress code while attending interviews? One of my friends told me that women should be wearing shirts/pants for interviews. Is it true? If it is I havent shopped for formal wear (nor am I used to wearing) except that I will be carrying few salwar suits.
    2.Is it safe to discuss on social security payments? If yes, how much will one be entitled to? I know centrelink has good amount of information but am confused with the payments and eligibility
    3.Would you have any idea on shipment services if I am hoping to ship across wet grinders/mixies etc..

I am trying to find Indian folks on the rental websites, hope I find some place soon.

Thanks again,

Shareon