Indian Vegetarian diet for Weight loss and Diabetes.

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Vasuk, Oct 11, 2008.

1. hemadurga

hemadurga Bronze IL'ite

hi bambli,
    thanks for posting diet chart from a dietician ...here in India we are lazy to go to a dietician...we also think it is waste of money....:shhh:

from all the posts here i found that i am doing three mistakes - taking more rice in lunch, not going to walks and third thing eating even little wheat rava rice in night is wrong !!

I wish I dedicate more time in walking from now on and count my duration of walk also...

2. achoo

achoo New IL'ite

Ok Looks like it might be a pregnancy induced diabetice. Anyway it seems like you are doing all the right things. My husband is border line diabetic. He researched about this problem. The internet site said that beat root that people for so long thought was not good for sugar problem is the best. Also you might want to eat more bitter gourd or karayla. Pavakai as we call it in tamil. You should be invariably free of the problem after the baby comes. Just keep doing what you are doing. Idlee has rice too right? Eat substitues like chapathi home made without any fat. Indian wheat is good to make it without ghee or oil. Best of luck/

3. GoplaniNupur

GoplaniNupur New IL'ite

Hi bambli

Thank you very much. I am slight over weight but facing many problelm so today i was thinking about start diet and look i got a good diet from you thank you very much i will start it from tomorrow and i will tell you the result in future thaks for such a good information.:thumbsup

4. injustice

injustice Bronze IL'ite

Can u Please advice me on this.

Hi,
    AS i said i have insulin level very very high.

doctor put me on metformi i started taking from yesterday with along provera.

this provera only for 10days just toget periods.

metformin is 500mg aking my dcotor tot ake 4 times a day.

can i ask him for lesser dose.

and he asked me to main tian diet.

i am stirct veg. ad working i wake up at 6 and make prepare to my hubby and me and come bacvk at 7:30 with lot of stress.
    that to my job is physical job i will get backoain daily after reaching home.
    what diet i caN FOLLOW?

CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL A PROPER DIET IN LESS TIME.
    he asked me to stop rice, chapthi i dont know how to make it.
    please tell me can i eat brown basmathi rice.and tell me nice diet.\\

can i have peanut butter in bread.
    can i have idly and dosa. atleast.

5. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Can u Please advice me on this.

Hi Injustice,
    Brown rice is good compared to white rice. Try it, but still reduce the consumptions. Include more vegetables. Eat more veg, less rice; change the proportion of these in your diet! Have fruits when you feel hunger. Divide the meals into four or five times a day with smaller quantity compared to three heavy ones... Try Salads, soups.

Check some diabetic diet & follow whichever suits you. Whichever is simple in preparation...

When you have metformin, initially you will feel more hunger, manage it with fruits...

All the best...

Check this one...
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/f...37408-indian-vegetarian-diet-weight-loss.html

PS: Will move this thread with the above one or some other relevant thread soon!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  6. jewel4u86

jewel4u86 Silver IL'ite

<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> <title></title> <meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 3.1 (Linux)"> <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style>
    1. Eat breakfast lunch and dinner slowly. Take 20 min because it takes 20 min to brain that your stomach is filled. A kind of cheating the brain
    2. Have hot water before half an hour of taking food. Also if you had any oily food have hot water after food(This tip will work if you had oily food in less quantity).
    3. Apply moisturizer in body daily if you are in weight loss program. It reduces stretch marks.
    4. Sleep for 7-8 hrs minimum.
    5. If you are having fruit juices have it w/o sugar.
    6. Keep it fresh in the refrigerator. When u feel like munching some junk food, eat 4 or 5 piece of cucumber.
    7. Drink lots of green tea.It helps in increasing your burning rate .
    8. Drinking Banana Stem juice reduces tummy
    9. Drinking Green tea in empty stomach is good for health and weight loss
    10. Consuming more water melon helps in weight loss
    11. One simple exercise which increase metabolism is :
    12. Breathe out, Put ur head down (i.e. near ur chest) with breath hold, Shrink and contrast ur stomach, Breath should be locked and once u feel discomfort just leave and take breath, This will help to reduce weight as metabolism is will improve.
    13. Honey with lemon in warm water - first thing in morning
    14. Reduce sugar intake in coffee
    15. Having green tea with pepper increases the metabolism
    16. Having watermelon before dinner fills up the stomach, so the amount of rice consumed is less
    17. Do stretches before you start with your exercise.. if you are burning 150 calories normally.. Doing stretches will burn calories easier and uniformly... People who see heaviness at one area is due to lack of stretches in that area.. (tummy thigh).. so do stretches for the whole body and feel the pain while actually stretching..
    18. do 50 squats every day; stand upright, bend at the knees to squating position, make sure knees do not go over toes; do 50 times keeping knees slightly bent when standing; wont take even 2 minutes a day; will start to see results in a week.
    19. Take 1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder mix with honey intake atleast twice a day to reduce weight.

7. jewel4u86

jewel4u86 Silver IL'ite

Re: Can u Please advice me on this.

<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> <title></title> <meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 3.1 (Linux)"> <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style>
    1. Eat breakfast lunch and dinner slowly. Take 20 min because it takes 20 min to brain that your stomach is filled. A kind of cheating the brain
    2. Have hot water before half an hour of taking food. Also if you had any oily food have hot water after food(This tip will work if you had oily food in less quantity).
    3. Apply moisturizer in body daily if you are in weight loss program. It reduces stretch marks.
    4. Sleep for 7-8 hrs minimum.
    5. If you are having fruit juices have it w/o sugar.
    6. Keep it fresh in the refrigerator. When u feel like munching some junk food, eat 4 or 5 piece of cucumber.
    7. Drink lots of green tea.It helps in increasing your burning rate .
    8. Drinking Banana Stem juice reduces tummy
    9. Drinking Green tea in empty stomach is good for health and weight loss
    10. Consuming more water melon helps in weight loss
    11. One simple exercise which increase metabolism is :
    12. Breathe out, Put ur head down (i.e. near ur chest) with breath hold, Shrink and contrast ur stomach, Breath should be locked and once u feel discomfort just leave and take breath, This will help to reduce weight as metabolism is will improve.
    13. Honey with lemon in warm water - first thing in morning
    14. Reduce sugar intake in coffee
    15. Having green tea with pepper increases the metabolism
    16. Having watermelon before dinner fills up the stomach, so the amount of rice consumed is less
    17. Do stretches before you start with your exercise.. if you are burning 150 calories normally.. Doing stretches will burn calories easier and uniformly... People who see heaviness at one area is due to lack of stretches in that area.. (tummy thigh).. so do stretches for the whole body and feel the pain while actually stretching..
    18. do 50 squats every day; stand upright, bend at the knees to squating position, make sure knees do not go over toes; do 50 times keeping knees slightly bent when standing; wont take even 2 minutes a day; will start to see results in a week.
    19. Take 1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder mix with honey intake atleast twice a day to reduce weight.

8. rasnakanwar

rasnakanwar New IL'ite

NICE TIPS:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

9. wanttobeamom

wanttobeamom New IL'ite

Dear Vasuk,

I just read your post here.

My blood sugars remain little higher than normal and I am planning pregnancy. My ob/gyn advised me to eat less carbs, more protein, and no sweets with exercise daily. I am also a strict vegetarian and do not eat eggs. I have been following her advise for more than a year. I got my A1c at 6 last year, but then again in recent blood work doctor said it's high. So she referred me to primary care physician for follow-up.

Now, I am worried that I may be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. And since I want to plan pregnancy, I may be advised to take insulin for the time being if doctor feels that the right thing to do.

Were you able to fully control your diabetes before planning pregnancy? did you have to take insulin before and through out the pregnancy as well? the biggest worry for me is to check my blood sugar 4-times or may be more a day. Though, I have done it before for 3 months to control my sugar with diet and exercise. It hurts a lot and when I had to to it everyday, I would be scared every time while testing my sugars- It was very much stressful for me at that time. I can't imagine going through the same stress again. But at the same time, I am aware that, if I want to have a kid, I may have to do it to control my blood sugar. I am suffering from hypothyroidism too, but by HIS grace, at least that is well controlled.

Your post has given me a hope that one can have a baby with diabetes as I can see from some of your posts that you have been blessed with a baby even with the diagnosis of diabetes.

I would really love to hear from you, regarding all the tips especially to check the blood sugar. Did you find it as painful as I feel or is it just all in my mind?I know I have to be strong as I am sure now I may have to do it all again and then probably insulin too.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post. I am really depressed, stressed and scared at this point.

Thanks again.

10. Topaz

Topaz Silver IL'ite

Dear wantobeamom,

Don't worry you will conceive even though you are pre/diabetic. I had gestational diabetes with both my kids, and am now classified as pre diabetic. Maintain regular excercise and a healthy diet, more vege and protein, and you should be good. One thing is to reduce tofu/soy products as they do carry other risks and are not as healthy as touted before. Do eat ghee and coconut in your diet and low GI fruits. Finally do not stress about the future, work on what is here and now!