1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Indian Style Food Tailored To Lose Weight

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by BhumiBabe, Jun 12, 2017.

1. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Unfortunately, I cannot reduce the amount I cook since I cook for my H and in-laws and toddler. If I reduce the amount I cook, I don't get any food.
    But I will try the rasam/soup tactic.

That's a thought. I'm going to introduce the concept of a salad. Its a good habit for everyone. Right now, I'm the only one who munches on raw veggies. Nice Ideas!

That makes so much sense. Our good is very carb based, and protein is optional most of the time.

justanothergirl likes this.
  2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm definitely going to start trying these.

Keep it coming, please

3. silento

silento Silver IL'ite

All the above posts are very useful,

Here are few things I do:

Instead of using full white rice, I cook half quoina and half rice in the same vessel in pressure cooker.

Somedays I cook pearl millet and white rice together.

For making pongal (both sweet and spicy), bisi bele bhat I use cracked wheat instead of rice. There is no differnce in taste, but texture wise you might feel it.

Dosas I use part brown rice, part white rice.

Based on my experience, the key to weight loss is exercise and portion control. Good luck!

sangeethakripa and Naari like this.
  4. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Hi BB,

You got lot of awesome inputs from our fellow Ilites, just my 2cents,

dont make all the changes in one day, he may get overwhelmed and gets demotivated, change 1 meal a week, start with dinner as it is main meal which switches the numbers on the scale, include a Salad/soup and small portion of dinner meal, then include a snack for 4pm craving, then increase protein intake during lunch meals, which helps to keep full for longer time, dont change the amount of carbs in breakfast for sometime, as he will be reducing his dinner intake, let him have his carbs for breakfast. Make these changes week by week, and also encourage him to spend 30mins on some activity (mostly fav activity will keep him motivated without getting bored).

Checkout Keto diet and slowly increase protein percentage in every meal, he has to loose weight consistently than rigorously with lot of changes which might back fire soon.

Life style change for one self is pretty easy compared to applying change for other family members!!!

Good luck!!!

Sravani

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I have a grain mix that I like which is 3 parts yellow millet (the yellow millet we get here in USA not the ragi millet) and one part red quinoa. I cook it in the rice cooker one part mix to two parts water. It cooks up very fluffy but still satisfying but you will get cooked 1.5 times the quantity of cooked rice for the same amount of dry grain.

BhumiBabe likes this.
  6. shygal123

shygal123 New IL'ite

7. Bluelagoon

Bluelagoon Senior IL'ite

Some tips are:
    1. Quinoa tastes same as white rice when mixed w sambar, kulambu etc
    2. In salads add cucumber, avocado, lemon, little red pepper flakes for a kick
    3. This is an amazing tip to cut junk food and it works - always grocery shop on a full stomach, u ll not be tempted by junk foods.

8. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Tip no:3 is so true ! When I go grocery shopping right after work I end up buying lots of junk, only because I am hungry !

9. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

My husband is diabetic for last 15 years . He takes tablets ofcourse , but has changed his food habits after consultation with dietician .
    We have found that there is no need to panic and take up crash diets . Just avoid Maida and White sugar .
    Simple south indian food , a usual square meal, rice based meal is fine . No need to give up rice .
    Rice , two vegetable preparations without much oil ( like koottu ) any dal ( sambar) and buttermilk . Take a " sundal " everyday .
    What to watch is the QUANTITY only . And REGULAR timings . And EXERCISE.

Indira28 and Sandycandy like this.
  10. likikuppu

likikuppu New IL'ite

Hi Bhumi,
    I have a sweet tooth and tend to eat lots of sweets. But recently i have realised that baking healthy cakes may help - for example - i googled recipes for sweet potato borwnies with no sugar/ flour/ lactose. There are incredible options on google and these healthy sweet treats might interest you :)
    Hope this helps,
    likikuppu