Indian street food - finger licking good

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by riya123, Oct 31, 2011.

1. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

Hello All,

I am remembering the mouthwatering taste of pani puri, bhel puri , masala puri, tikka chaat. Here I have tried in several places but I dont get the awesome taste as in india. I'll appreciate if anyone can share their tried and tested recipies of any of these chaats. I want the same flavor as in india, dont know how work about it. The chaats in US is nowhere close to the chaats in India.. Share your recipies here.

Thanks

2. killerontheplat

killerontheplat Senior IL'ite

Hi riya,
    I feel the same right now. I miss all the chaat food from india like crazy, especially going to the chaatwala near my house for pani puri. Obviously, there are few places here that sell it but dont get the same taste. Have to satisfy myself with it any how.

If you have any indian shop there you might get a pani puri pack from Gardens. There is poori chutney and shutney to make water in it. So its simple. I also make sev puri on rice crackers or tortillas often,, will post some recipes for u soon. Good luck

3. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi friends,

You might find the chaat recipes given by chitvish ma'am useful..Here it is Chaats :-D

Bye

4. lakshmi72

lakshmi72 Bronze IL'ite

hi, friends,

Listed below are the chaats which i make at home. And these chutneys can be made and kept in freezer for 3-5 months. You can use them for all like samosa, papdi, fried papads , even making BHEL PURI- just add pori with potato,onion and all the chutney mentioned in SEV puri - a wonderful chaat.

SEV PURI

Green Chutney – Coriander leaves – 1 bunch, green Chillies – 5 nos, Ginger 1 inch piece, Jeera – 1 tsp,
    Tamarind pulp ½ cup, Black salt – 1 tsp, salt.
    Grind all together in to a smooth paste.
    Red Chutney – Garlic – 10 pods, Red Chillies – 10 nos , Sugar – 5 tsp, Salt
    Soak garlic and red chillies in water for 1 hour. Then grind into a smooth paste. While serving add sugar and salt to this paste
    Sweet Chutney – 100 gms Dates, Tamarind pulp 2 cups, Gud – 100 gms , jeera pd – 1 tsp, Chilli pd- 1tsp salt.
    Soak the dates for 2 hrs. Then grind the dates, tamarind together. Put in the kadia the mixture with salt, gud, jeera pd and chilli pd and bring to boil for 10 mins.
    To Assemble
    Sev, Onions, Chat Masala, Coriander leaves, Lemon, Puries, boiled potatoes.

Keep the puries in plate . Top it with Mashed potatoes, then add onions with coriander mixed. To this add a tsp of green / red chutney. Now pour the Sweet chutney to reqd qty. Drizzle the sev over the puries now . Sprinkle chaat masala, lemon and if required broken pieces of Puries and some tomatoes.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RAGADA PATTICE
    For Ragada
    White Mutter, Onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, 2 bay leaves
    Masala to grind- 3 cloves, 4 pieces cinnamon, 2 elaichi, 4 strands of javitri, 2 spoons whole jeera, 1 tsp chili pd, 1 tsp dhania pd - all grind with tomato

Fry Onion, ginger,garlic paste and bay leaves whole in oil. When brown, add to this the Masala tomato paste. fry till oil comes out. to this add the boiled mashed little white mutter. When nicely boiled add 2 pieces of jaggery and 1 tsp of garam masala and bring to boil again.

For Pattice

Potato, Green chilli, Ginger, Dhania leaves

Boil the potato with less water . Mash the potato with the paste of green chili, ginger and dhania leaves. Add to this Bread crums, corn flour 1 tablesp. Make balls of this and shallow fry them in oil till golden brown.

To assemble
    Put the pattice in a plate over that put the ragada, add cut onion with corinder leaves above this. Drizzle 2 spoons of garlic red chutney, 2 spoons of Sweet chutney, roasted jeera powder or chat masala, and top it with lime juice.

Lakshmi

2 people like this.
  5. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

lakshmi,
    thanks for posting the recipes..my mouth is watering already

6. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Here is an all-time healthy and favourite sandwich that every Mumbaikar loves and is proud of. I used to eat this sandwich every single day in Mumbai whenever we went with my Dad to Mumbai for a small break every few months!!!

BOMBAY SANDWICH

Take two slices of fresh bread. Cut the sides if you want.

Apply green chutney on one slice and butter on the other slice.

On the chutney slice, first place a layer of fine sliced boiled potato, next layer of thin sliced onion, and last layer of thin sliced tomato.

Place the chutney side on top of this. Cut the sandwich into four quarters. Serve fresh with some ketchup on each quarter and a little sev on each quarter!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. AnanyaAjay

AnanyaAjay Silver IL'ite

Riya,

Yeah Even I am dying to eat pani puri when I return to India. I made it here once at home but Its not at all comparable to the street ones. The day I return to India, first thing I will do is take parcel and have it at home at least 3 plates!!! :) hehe

Another thing- you know what my dad used to tell about pani puri, when we said home made pani puri doesn't taste as the street ones- he used to say that the panipuri wala washes his hands inthe paani, and that pani only he serves you, thats why u feel so tasty huh!!!!
    EEEEkkkkkk!!!

BUT STILL WE DIE TO GO TO THE STREET AND ENJOY IT!!!