1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Indian snack for American kids !

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by flysauc, May 1, 2013.

1. flysauc

flysauc Gold IL'ite

Hi everyone,

My son has a event comming up in his school, where he has to get some snacks for the entire class. As usual his class has many restrictions wrt to allergies....i am at my wits end .... please help me with your ideas ladies?

Would like to know some simple snack items which won't involve nuts,spice and dairy products in them.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

With many restrictions I think it is a good idea to bring something from a store just because they have product information and expiry date. I think you should keep something as simple as Indian biscuits....I am assuming this is for a younger group.

3. flysauc

flysauc Gold IL'ite

Yes its for 8 yr olds Rama, even i was thinking of buying from outside. But just concerned about the spice levels.

4. anjanag

anjanag Platinum IL'ite

Only problem is u have to check properly for allergens for the stuff from indian store. My son has many allergies and its always a challenge to get stuff for him from indian store. Many of the fried stuff are done in peanut oil, so be careful when u read labels. How about indian style sandwiches ? Mild green chutney + cheese ones? Or you can try making rolls with puff pastry and indian style filling.

2 people like this.
  5. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

my suggestion is as below :-

1. Make chappatis - cut them into triangles .- i used gluten free wheat .
    2. Decorate the chappatis with some veggies like shredded carrot and cucumber (make it like a face) .
    3. else roll the chappatis with the veggies(steamed) and cut them into small rolls and serve them with some sauce if required.

this is what one i made last year for my frds sons mothers day .........as you said too much restriction .....-gluten allergy,diary allergy,protein,peanut ............. god save these children and tight hugs to their parents

3 people like this.
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Recently I came across gluten free, nut free, dairy free ready to bake cupcakes in Walmart. Check that out but not exactly Indian though.

7. mimi77

mimi77 Gold IL'ite

It is always a good idea to buy commercially prepared food for school children.........You can also ask the school teacher....She might give you a list of snack items to choose from........

8. flysauc

flysauc Gold IL'ite

Thanks Anjana , after much thinking even i feel veg puff with mild masala stuffing would be a good option. yeah sandwich also sounds good.

1 person likes this.
  9. flysauc

flysauc Gold IL'ite

Yeah Blessbabydust,

Liked your idea of chappati , Thanks for your suggestion.

Yeah with too many restriction i was going crazy also wanted to be on a safer side.

10. flysauc

flysauc Gold IL'ite

Rakhi they need to bring some food which is from their culture, so its little challenging to keep so many things and make something.

But appreciate your Suggestion.... Thank you dear.