Indian origins requiring visa to go to India

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Viswamitra, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

When we obtained the citizenship in the United States, we immediately rushed to get 10 year multiple entry visa to go to India. As most of our close family live in India, during that wait time, if there was any emergency, the only way we could go to India was to visit the Indian consulate that had appropriate jurisdiction and obtain the visa in person.

I understand the U.S.immigration requiring the Indians to obtain visa before entering the United States. This is primarily because, there are lot of Indians still migrating to the United States. But there are not a whole lot of Americans migrating to India. Mostly the Americans of Indian origin are the ones that would like to go to India. In the circumstances, does it make sense for Ministry of External Affairs to have restrictions for persons of Indian origin to come back to India? The regulations are becoming more stringent now. Even for surrendering Indian passport, one had to pay fees. If one need to obtain visitor's visa, he needs to pay a fee. If some one needs OCI card, they need to pay a hefty fee as well. Why can't the Ministry of External Affairs make a simple procedure for Americans of Indian origin as well as other nationals of Indian origin to enter India without much of restrictions?

If someone does not have a criminal background, if they had a valid Indian passport in the past, why can't they permit them to obtain visa at the time of departure from the U.S. airport? Why can't they simplify the procedure for OCI card? After all, the foreign nationals of Indian origin are remitting so much of precious foreign currency into India and why can't the Ministry of External Affairs take a liberal approach to the person of Indian origins?

Is it not a national pride for India now that so many Indians doing well overseas? Now, so many Indian Americans are playing prominent role in the federal government in the US. The Indian government is fighting to have more lenient approach for issuing H1B visas in the United States for Indians. Can they pay a little attention in being liberal to the Indians who have migrated earlier to visit India without any major processes and procedures?

Please send your comments and suggestions to this post. All ideas are welcome. Hopefully, someday, Ministry of External Affairs will read it and make it liberal. Even if you have a good reasons why they should not make it liberal, please mention it so that we can discuss all and every opinion in this forum. Thank you and I look forward to valuable views of IL members.

Viswa

1 person likes this.

2. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Viswa,

There are countries, who concentrate on tourism that allow tourists to avail VISA after landing. I agree, India could develop their tourism strategy by doing so.

Nevertheless, I cannot agree that VISA steps have to be relaxed for people who are CITIZENS in foreign countries to have any relaxation just because their parents are native citizens. Citizenship is chosen based on patriotism, and not for convenience (OK, agreed, am an idealist here :) ) Still, I dont agree rules have to be bent for convenience.

If you could wait for so many days, weeks, months to get a visa to US, please take some time to go through the visa process for India as well.

I believe, some day India will grow, grow to be a better country than many other countries. It may not be the best, but some day people would want to come to India.

Am sorry, if I sound too rude, but man ! my blood boiled on reading ur post !!!

3 people like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Dear Justmyself,

You are entitled to your opinion and that is precisely why I asked everyone to post their opinion whether it is positive or negative. In my opinion, there is nothing in my post that warrants your blood to boil. After all I am expressing my opinion on visa rules which may or may not be aligned with your views. I have nothing against India, the country where I was born. Please don't convert this into a forum where everyone's patriotism is discussed. I love India as much as I love the United States.

Viswa

4. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Dear Viswa,

I agree, my words sounds deviating from the topic, though it was not intended. Thanks for taking my opinion.

Cheers,
    JM

5. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A passport is a document, issued by a national government, which certifies, for the purpose of international travel, the identity and nationality of its holder.

Yes, you have to pay the fees, since you want to surrender your nationality.. This is common to all countries.. If you surrender the nationality/passport, then you need to pay. Its not like something that you can change acc to convenience/ other reasons..

And once you are a US citizen, ofcourse you need to pay vistor's visa to India.. you are only a visitor now.. because you have returned the citizenship of India.. what's the deal? and for OCI.. this is a boon since you can fly so many times, definitely cheaper and hassle-free compared to visitor's visa everytime.. this is already a special case given to "people of indian origin''..

Who asked people to remit ''precious foreign currency''?? and is this a deal.. i give foreign currency and you give me ''on-arrival visa etc..".. People have given up their nationality, and as well they can invest elsewhere..

Nooooooooooooooo.. This is called ''BRAIN DRAIN"...

They have already migrated.. so they are considered "foreign" only...

A passport is a document, issued by a national government, which certifies, for the purpose of international travel, the identity and nationality of its holder.

4 people like this.
  6. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

I agree with what viswamitra said.

too much Chauvinism . Don't be Chauvinist , it effects ur judgement.

In Hindi film "Ab Tak Chhappan" theres a dialogue said by Nana Patekar to the young police officer " leave the country to politicians" (Desh Ko politicians Ko chod do)

7. Viswamitra

Preetitech,

Thank you for your response. I understood that you are not in favor of changing those difficult procedures.

I am not addressing the rest of your response. Only thing I would suggest is for you to attend one of the Diaspora meetings conducted by the Government of India to find out what the Government of India wants from the OCI.

Viswa

8. Viswamitra

Nettem,

Thank you for your response and your support to reduce the difficult procedures.

Viswa

9. Viswamitra

10. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

And they merged PIO, OCI and all these visa cards under one denomination! (last year?)
    Great standardization, no more renewals :2thumbsup:

Re: Original Post

I'm more worried about the photographs for visa and passports. Strict dimensions and back ground color which renders one set of photos practically useless for another visa application. Not to mention the photographer chiding "Please don't smile, your visa will be rejected". Recall traumatic incidents in life for that deadpan look!

1 person likes this.