1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Indian neighborhood in Edmonton, Alberta

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by satty, Jul 13, 2010.

1. satty

satty New IL'ite

Hi women,

We will be moving to edmonton, alberta in a few weeks. Could someone please throw some light of good neighborhoods to move into and also with some indians around.

Thanks
    satty

2. depma

depma New IL'ite

[Hi Satty

I replied to u on another thread on this topic, please see.

Deepa

QUOTE=satty;1309442]Hi women,

We will be moving to edmonton, alberta in a few weeks. Could someone please throw some light of good neighborhoods to move into and also with some indians around.

Thanks
    satty[/QUOTE]

3. depma

depma New IL'ite

Hi Satty
    Good to know that another fellow indian is coming here to Edmonton. I moved here abt 6 months back.Pls look for apartments ONLY in the SW/SE part of Edmonton.Other areas are not safe at all. The Millwoods area in the south is lively and vibrant and has lot of indians..Avoid the north and downtown areas.

There are public schools in every community,but i guess ur son is still young for kindergarten. As far as I know there aren't many playschoos/ preschools here or at least u cant be sure that there will be one near your apartment area. I had to do a lot of research to get my son into preschool.When r u plannig to come here since admissions are already over for the academic year.

Let me know if u need any other details, glad to help.

Deepa

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by satty [​IMG]
    hi Grace and Deepa,

I'm new to this forum and will be moving to edmonton from boston very soon. i too have a 3 year old boy and would really benefit from any information regarding preschools and apartments in edmonton. hope to hear from you all soon.

thanks
    satty

4. preethis1588

preethis1588 New IL'ite

hi can u please tell where to grind sambar powder in edmonton ?? do u ve any gram flour mill there

5. submadkicdar

submadkicdar New IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    We are moving to edmonton in a month's time . I am new to this place and climate . My husbands office will be near Queen Mary's park . We are tamilians and dear friends ,please suggest me a place , where i can have indian community ( south indian community esp ) ,where you can indian grocery shops , residents and cultural activities. We are husband wife , both my children settled .
    What will be the rent and i think we will be requiring a 2 bedroom house at present .Please email me to submadkicdar@gmail.com
    With lots of love to pur Indus ladies,
    Mrs Subhashini Madhavan

6. kn543

kn543 Bronze IL'ite

You can look for apartments in the south side. That is where the Indian community is. I see a lot of south Indians near Southgate, millwoods, century park, summer side, Laurel, Meadows. You can looks for apartments or houses for rent. The rental market is good in Edmonton, so you will not find many vacant apartments. If you are planning, it would be better to contact the apartment/ individual early and book it.

For schools, you wouldnt find any pre-schools year. It is 90% daycares here. If you want you can put your kid in half day pre-schools that are available (not many as far as I know). Here kids are eligible to go to Kindergarten when they are four. I think they should have their birthday before march of that school year to be eligible. There are a lot of Catholic schools. There is also a ABC Headstart program which accepts kids from 3 years.

Hope this helps :) Let me know if you need any other information.

7. kn543

kn543 Bronze IL'ite

Looks like QM Park is on the north side. It would be a difficult commute from the south side during winters.