1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Indian groceries prices gone high in the US. Why?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by honeyj, Feb 29, 2008.

1. honeyj

honeyj Senior IL'ite

hello ladies
    why the indian food in grocery store gone high price on everthing like dals, atta rice and other stuff

Any body notice this.......

what'z the reason?

thanks

2. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Re: indian grocerey...

Dear honey,

I have been going to the same shop since 2 years and the shopkeeper is quite friendly with me.So i asked him the same question,this is what he told me and it made sense to me:
    dollar value is falling and at the same time rupee is gaining.before if we paid $5 to import a product now we have to pay around $8 for the same product.this extra amount we as shopkeepers have to recover from the customers,so all the rates have increased.
    I agreed to him.But in my mind i felt he should have been an economist instead of a shopkeeper.
    But i agree everything is v expensive now a days.
    My 2cents
    suji

3. DudeWithAttitude

DudeWithAttitude New IL'ite

High alright, look closely and you will find that some of the foods are also expired....way back into the past! Coming to the question 'why'.... who knows, who cares, and again what choice do we have other than to hop to another shop - looks like the FDA here isnt doing a diddly squat about the way our desi grocers operate!

Should we call Better Business Bureau now?

4. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

It's inflation - prices in all grocery stores have gone up - not just indian stores. we buy milk, eggs, butter etc at lucky or safeway and the cost is at least 10% more than last year. our grocery and fuel bills have more than doubled! sadly, salary does not double each year. I believe inflation in the US is the highest in 26 years, so expect more increases in the future!