Indian food recipes with less carb and gluten free

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Priya16, Oct 30, 2014.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

He is an applied kinesiologist and uses muscle testing and some other methods to ascertain what is out of balance in your body. Treatment could be vitamin and /or herbal. He is a pioneer in this field. I was not on allopathic medicine (had finished it and was very ill from it) and my friend was on her full pantheon of anti-depressive and pain meds. Office call and treatment items are very reasonable.

You might read his paper on solanine toxicity....I have always felt that this would be especially pertinent to Indians given how they eat so many items in the nightshade family at one meal (not the nightshade you know in India but the nightshade family from the New World). Westerners never would eat so many items together at once...perhaps maxing out with eggplant parm. The plants in this family are all poisonous but the fruits or roots (as in potatoes) are eaten. These would include tomato, potato, eggplant, peppers.

2. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Hi Kashmir Flower,

This thread is very much useful for me as my H is having RA for the past 10 years.

He did not mind about pains in joints before marriage and even 2 years after marriage. He just started taking medicines when the situation starts worsen, his fingers joints got swollen if he do more work in keyboard, hands and leg joints started paining, stiffness and pain gets worsen if he lifts a normal weight luggage or something like that.

Then with my constant pressure he visited an allopathy doc, he has done some blood tests with CRP, ESR etc in which we found his CRP (C-reactive protein) is very high. He prescribed some tablets for 3 months and my H took all those medicines and then we forgot about the followup.

Again after 6 months with some pain aggravates in the leg, this time we went to ayurveda doc afraid of allopathy medicines. Ayurveda doc first checked our blood test report and gave us some set of medicines which contains legiyam, churnam and vati, he had all those for 2 months. The pain is now reduced but the CRP count is just reduced by 10 mg/l, again we went to the doc but this time he asked us to stop those and gave us different sets which contains the additional ghee sought of medicines along with legiyams and churnams. Within in one month the CRP has reduced to major extent but still not in the normal range. Hence we followed for another 3 months and then stopped due to laziness.

But now after one year again pain started in hands and legs, he can feel the changes very much. This week will have to take blood test for CRP and i am sure it would have increased by now, so will have to check with the doc.

The only issue with that ayurveda doc is he do not explain the problem to us. Even when we asks doubt he will not clear, so without interaction we feel something is not satisfied. But faith is the only source of curing any ailments...i know....still thinking twice before going to the same doc this time. Let see....my H's collegue has some other digestion issue and now he is checking with Naturopathy (fully curing through diets with minimal natural medicines) so we have another idea of going there too...but not yet decided....will let you guys know in my later post.

So happy to join this thread to share our issues reg RA, thanks for sharing yours too in detail.

Hi priya16, Very happy to see you here, your posts makes me to enter this thread when i see in the main page and thanks for starting this thread, will be in touch.

A favour, if possible can anyone of you ask about CRP and RA connections, everytime we calculate our RA through CRP measurement, but whenever i search about CRP in google it makes me afraid, coz of the consequences it mentions. But once when i met my family doc who is allopathy, he asked why to get worrying about CRP, this is nothing important. But i am not satisfied. So if possible can you pls just about the both CRP and RA connection with your doc next time which will be useful for me.

Thanks !

3. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Dear tashidelek,

even my dr also told me not to eat nightshade vegetables.So many things to fallow,so I didn't put my effort into this area yet.

What do you replace with tomato in curries where you need gravy?

4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Hi Bhucat,

I am glad to share info. The more info u know u better can manage such chronic issues.

CRP- c-reactive protein is a blood test to measure the inflammation level in the body.
    It may be more meaning to the Rheumatologist, as my doc gives lot of importance to this test results.

There is a blood test called "RA Factor", you can ask ur husband to get it done in any big labs. This one shows in higher range, if one has Rheumatoid arthritis.

not all RAs are same, now a days my doc says I might have seronegative RA, for which treatment differs from doctor points of view,.
    As per my doc, there is so much interrelated in this autoimmune problems, connective tissue disorders, and this auto immune thing can affect any part of the body.

I don't want to scare you, everybody will not get affected same.

I feel ur husband is not taking enough care, better to keep it under control with medicines.

For emergency, you may contact ur family doctor, but it is good to be treated by one doctor always , who is a rhematologist. (so that doc also knows better about the person health condition). Only a rheumatologist knows best, as lot of research goes on these chronic diseases.

Even though u use ayurveda or naturopathy, u visit ur rhumatologist with ur blood reports, and make sure that ur in good condition.

5. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhucat ,

thanks for dropping by.

I do once in 3 months do blood work for my RA and the dr says it's drud monitoring lab work ,Yesterday when I checked the blood work I don't see anything related to CRP in my blood work.

The dr which I go is best in town but he didn't seem to me answer to my questions.One time my shoulder stuck in the night and not able to move and which was fine in the morning.For that dr gave me steroid medicine and when I asked what is it and why I got it,he said it's not RA but he didn't gave me any reason why I got it that pain.
    So far I was doing ok,didn't spend much energy into RA.I'll ask him in my next visit which is in Jan or I'll try to check with Naturopathy Dr when I go next time.

I'm not sure what allopathy medicine your husband on though.Currently I'm on sulfasalazine.

even my naturopathy dr said,I had digestion issue,He told me gut is main cause of RA flare ups's and gave some dietary supplements.

I was feeling very less energetic before,after I started taking those started feeling some energy.

6. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Hi KashmirFlower,

I have no words after hearing your story and you are a one strong women.
    I'm very happy that you got a right dr who can listen to you and advises you.

Even I was on
    sulfasalazine from the beginning.Now I'm understanding importance of using medicine after your posts.

My Dr,so far put me in the right direction of medicine but he doesn't seem to me talking much and giving me information.He just listens and won't speak much.

I'm with same dr for past 7 years and I do blood work every 3 month.But I don't see he is checking RA factor not CRP in my tests.He mostly says drug monitoring.

I know he checked RA factor initially when I went.

For me mostly one finger will stuck for extended period of time.Like midle finger some inflammation will be there and will go for 3-4 months,Because of that ,that particular finger will be stuck and rest of finger and hand will be fine and I'll not get much swallow or anything like that.

For that my Dr gives me AntiInflamory medicine.Somehow I'm not big fan for it as I see more side effects.That's how going on :).But I have used for big things like my toe gone for some period and I was able to recover only with AntiInflamotry medicine.

Please share with me your meals receips. Probably I may able to learn new recipes.
    Yesterday I made jowar roti,which didn't come well.Still may need to learn more .

Thanks for all the useful information and the support which you are giving me.

7. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Priya.

My doc also did RA factor test in the beginning, to mare sure it is RA, they don't repeat it seems.
    CRP test my doc does it often, I think u keep all copies of ur blood work with u, if not ask the nurse next time, they will give u. Check some old reports might have CRP test done for you.

coming to food, because of Ulcerative colitis too, I eat very bland diet, It won't taste nice, but now I got used to this bland taste, I will share later, when I make anything interesting.

8. tashidelek2002

It would be a huge shift in how you eat....no doubt. Remember, chilli is also a nightshade...it's not just the tomatoes. So back to black pepper (which was what Indians did before New World foods were introduced to India). Some friends of mine once used pureed cooked zucchini as the base of curry gravy...it was actually really good.

9. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

It's very good alternative and personally I like zucchini and yellow sqaush. Probabaly. Probably I may get good puree from those.

I'm not spice person ,will try to see I can substitute pepper.

Please let me know if you know any easy and good recipes which works for me.

10. tashidelek2002

You can also just thicken whatever juices are there with cornstarch and water. Add to the broth and boil a little to thicken.