Indian community in Houston

Discussion in 'Indians in Houston' started by priti2106, Mar 24, 2008.

1. ruku05

ruku05 New IL'ite

hi I lived in Pune for 6 yrs. I m looking for apt in Houston. plz suggest

2. indianamerican

indianamerican New IL'ite

Sorry for the delayed reply. I only come one here rarely and to assist where i can.

One thing i suggest all apartment seekers is to choose an apartment primarily based on the area and its amenities not only on the number of indians. Areas such as sugarland/ missouri city/ stafford has the most indians followed by alief pearland katy woodlands and champions forest.

South indians seem to be concentrated in katy pearland and stafford. Punjabis in northwest houston esp sikhs. Gujuratis in alief and sugarland. Sugarland has all sorts of indians.

To answer your original quesion, the only areas that i feel are pretty safe and have a good crowd are the city of bellaire and the rice military/midtown areas these are close to downtown. If schools are very important i suggest bellaire. Its high school is the best in the entire houston region they even teach hindi classes. These areas do not have a large number of desis but are nice and centrally located you can be in hillcroft in 15- 20 mins

Dt2004 at earthlink dot net

3. indianamerican

indianamerican New IL'ite

If you have been already living in houston you may wish to consider leasing a house because it might not be much more than renting a nice apt b/c the real estate market is down

I suggest sugar land for those wanting to be near max indians. There are many indian stores, residents, indian returants, great access to houston via hwy 59

4. madhuresh126

madhuresh126 New IL'ite

: Indian community in Houston

Hi friends,

We are moving to houston from detroit.
    I need suggestions from u guys about the schools and desi populated areas ( apts or houses for rent) and schools as well.
    I have 2 kids one 5th grade and the other KG.
    My husdand work place is located in enclave parkway houston 77077.
    I want to rent a house with in 5-8 mile radius depending up on the good school.

thank you guys for your replies.

Madhavi

5. sireeshavad

sireeshavad New IL'ite

hi
    i've been in houston for 1 year and i find york town apts the best for indian communuity and it is near to even cvs,walgreens and to the bus stop even.u can also find schools there where u have a private carrier to school.there are 2 schools in this zone,u can choose either of those.these are also the cheapest apts u can find.u have other place called katy which is full of indians.

6. harshanischal

harshanischal New IL'ite

Hi Madhulika.....

How r u? this is Harshini...even iam new to Houston and from Hyderabad..... :)
    Trying to find some friends here and just gotta c u i stay on cutten road......
    nice to c u....... :)

7. sreedtt

sreedtt New IL'ite

Hi,
    Is there any Indian radio station (1460 am) here ih Houston?

8. SurekhaKrishna

SurekhaKrishna Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shanti,
    Do you still live in the same location(west road)?Yes currently I live in west road.
    I am so sorry i didnot check any previous posts since my baby was born(21 months now) and eventually i got busy with her.
    I was away from Indus website and Houston Forum since so long time :(

thanks
    Surekha

9. SurekhaKrishna

SurekhaKrishna Bronze IL'ite

Hi Harshini,
    I've replied to you in another thread "Looking for telugu friends in Houston".

10. just20

just20 Silver IL'ite

Surekha

Yes, we still live on west rd...would love to catch up with you all

Thanks
    Shanti