India Trips - Most Favorite/ Least Favorite Parts

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

For those who live outside India, what are your most favorite parts or moments and least favorite parts or moments of your trips to India?

kkrish and Sandycandy like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My favorite is hands-down walking a few feet from the house and hailing an autorickshaw. Even locals now say they need to go only in cars due to pollution etc. I can simply hop into an autorickshaw, and the driver won't even make out I am from phoren. The exhaust from the buses and trucks blows straight into the autorickshaw... and doesn't bother me at all. If there is a dupatta handy, I very lady like, cover my nose with it. If no cover is handy, no problem.

Least favorite is the humidity. Stepping out of the shower and if I have to wear a saree/blouse... oh my... there doesn't seem to be a moment when the body is completely dry. Even as you towel it dry, you start to sweat. : ) The struggle to get into the blouse you remembered to pack in the VIP or Samsonite suitcase. You struggle to pull your arm through its sleeve... never sure if it is simply the humidity in the air or there is more of you trying to get in to the now old blouse. : ) Dil mein jagah tho ghar mein jagah* doesn't apply to blouses, alas! : )

*if there is place in the heart, then there is place in the house (for guests/family members)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    anika987, shravs3, jskls and 11 others like this.
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

My favourite
    Staying with my parents
    Indian food, I go to top restaurants as well as street food
    Jasmine flowers
    Having maid for cleaning

anika987, Rihana and Sandycandy like this.
  4. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Obviously, the most favorite part is staying with parents. I always cherish those moments ......
    2...Spending time with my sister's family
    3...Going trips , visiting temples especially going to Tirumala by walk
    4...Shopping for Jewelry , salwars and Sarees.
    5....Indian seasonal fruits and food
    The least favorite part is staying with Mil and Sils for few days. :p

sindmani, Rihana, Umanga and 4 others like this.
  5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Most Favorite : Good food , shopping for Indian clothes
    Least favorite : Traffic,weather , mosquitoes , family politics, power struggle with the IL about my schedule and which relatives to visit and when . I win most of the times :banana:

In short , my India trips are very stressful . There is good food available here and I have also started shopping online . So my two reasons to visit India are not that compelling anymore.
    P.S sorry to be a Debbie Downer ! :facepalm:

shravs3, sindmani, Amica and 5 others like this.
  6. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Mine too

Naari and Sandycandy like this.
  7. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

Most favorite: Getting to meet parents/relatives, the food(yum!), mom's South Indian coffee, shopping for clothes/accessories, the climate, TV, the casual atmosphere overall
    Least favorite: Traffic jams, long local travel time, family politics, bad hair days (for some reason the water has not been agreeing with my hair in the last few trips :O, having to clothe "decently" at home especially PILs', despite the unbearable heat depending on season

Sandycandy, Rihana and Umanga like this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

After all these years even now the least fav part is the actual going on the plane! I can't take it anymore and I go twice a year now.

Favorite parts - reunions/weddings/baby showers and other ceremonies are plenty. I'm yet to go on a trip where we didn't celebrate something. Of course, shopping with my mom and sis. I cherish that. Meeting friends is something that I look forward to. I don't have too many school/college friends here and it's always nice to meet them and catch up on each other's news.

9. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Most fav part- almost everything right from touchdown . The minute you land in Des, the feeling of being home seeps in automatically. Last time it was raining and both of us didn't want our driver service or Uber . We wanted to be pukka Desi and took our two wheeler on the streets , got drenched and enjoyed the open atmosphere and the freedom to do anything you want. We stopped at a tapri (Street side tea stall) and had the most unhygienic but tastiest pakoras and chai. My MIl's heart was racing when she heard that we will be using two wheeler in such weather but we firmly believe that "when in Rome do as Romans do" . There were some restaurants that used to open at 7 am for breakfast and we along with our kids were always the first visitors there . Nothing can beat a hot idli or dosas ,vadas or vada pav along with tea,coffee for breakfast . It's the freedom to do anything and live life to the fullest is what I enjoy the most . Somehow ,I enjoy shopping in India amidst the crowd so much than here . And no shopping is complete without roadside snacking or trying out some eaterie in a mall .

The least fav part - actually I hate this the most and it is the final goodbye . The sudden realization that it's time to leave everything behind including your parents , it's very, very emotional and something I don't look forward to. Last time , my FIl and parents had tears and never ever have I seen them so weak emotionally. The return flight back to US is always heartrending .After coming back here , it always takes me a good few months to get over it.

shravs3, sindmani, breeze01 and 9 others like this.
  10. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

+1, Lord,where are the good DILs???;);)

Most favorite: Eating mom's food, eating Delicious outside snacks (batata vada, samosa:yum::yum:)and restaurant food (though I have had allergies the last 2 trips, thanks US for reducing my immunity:tongueclosed:), going overboard shopping ethnic wear, jewelry, visiting my favorite temples

Least favorite: Crowds, pollution, Stress , anxiety and tension starting from the time I board the plane to end of trip, first worrying about how my Pil stay will be and then actually living it..

Amica, Sandycandy, Rihana and 2 others like this.