1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

India is a poor country !!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by piyarustagi, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Amen to all your quotes here. Thanks ! :)

Good.

New Orleans is a poor city. So is many places in detriot, chicago, new york, atlanta etc... There are variances everywhere... The only difference is, in a country like India it affects. Today New Orleans is being pumped with many aids and benefits, but still people in parts of Andhra, Bihar suffer after many such calamities. Why? They can be easily cheated by corrupt officials and there is no one to help them unlike America, where people voice against injustice in most occasions.

I agree that trickle down effect SHOULD be in effect to have a healthy growth in a country. My point is, that's lacking in India. I agree that he is now "able" to employ his own driver. But with the attitude of "finally there... " ready to expense and make other live's better is not happening. The same people who have grown from middle class to upper middle class still are stingy and their attitude has not changed. Employing someone now for your benefit is not a way to help them come up in life if you are going to pay them the a 1980 salary, especially with the cost of living now. A driver gets paid Rs.2000 per month let's say, how is he going to uplift his children's education so that they go to some college and not end up like him?

Yes, that's a different debate altogether. One other reason why India is still struggling to come out of "third-world-country" name tag.

2. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

I am not assuming anything. That's the reason I asked what you are doing about it, remember?

nice to hear, keep up the good work :thumbsup

There is a proverb I need to mention here, I don't remember the exact words but here is it how it goes:

Unless your fellow citizens are able to eat a meal, sleep in a shelter and have a dress to wear, however rich you are, you are still poor.

We might have all the materialistic luxuries now, but still millions of fellow citizens don't have basic necessities today. So yes, we are POOR as a country.

I guess GIJoe has explained about the other parts of your post, I don't want to re-invent the wheel here.

The point here to concentrate on the problem and solve it. Not on how others think about us as a country.

3. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

Demand and supply will always drive the compensation, a software professional who works in India does not get paid the same amount of money as his counter part in USA (he might be doing more) so basically the demand and supply will always be the driving force. Poverty is complex and we can debate all day about why a person is in poverty and the rich are responsible for the fate of the poor. My take on this is if you decide to be a beggar at least make an attempt to get a large vessel so that people can give you more, if you have a small vessel and think that why people are not donating more then it is your fault.

A starting salary for a driver in Chennai is Rs.5000

Here is a nice motivating story on how someone can change their life http://www.rediff.com/money/2006/aug/31spec.htm

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  4. veenat

veenat New IL'ite

Hi,
    I too agree that majority of people in india does not have helping tendency,Many are rich in finance and they have surplus currency ,but they are selfish,they are accumulating wealth for them and their fellow generation, they dont think about the poor people in india,if all these people will think and donate 10 % of their money , india will go up, and then any developed country cannot stop our growth in all aspects, Nowdays one thought comes often in my mind , if any natural disasters comes in big way , is india will stand up after that?

5. piyarustagi

piyarustagi New IL'ite

I also told her the same thing that India has both rich and poor. But yeah here in US people think that all Indians are poor and are slums after slumdogmillionaire.

I also discussed this with many of my friends... as I was really upset with her comment that "India is a poor country" .

Most of my frds said to ignore those kind of people and not feel bad.

Situation is that I'm currently on dependent visa and I don't earn , so I can't help my motherland in anyway right now. Infact ,I myself need help right now....lol.... but, once I'll get a chance, my ultimate dream is to do something really good for our country and for underprivileged people.