Independence - Have we used it well? Contest for August 2008!

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by Induslady, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear IL'ites,

When August 15th 2008 rolls around, we would have completed 61 years as an independent nation. Independence day is a time for us to reflect on what we have done with our Independence. Have we used it the right way or have we squandered it away?

So, the contest for the month of August 2008 is..

Independence - Have we used it well?

We are interested in your candid assessment of whether the past 61 years have made the best use of our freedom and independence.Or you can give a narration of the top 3 things that we did right as an Independent Nation or the top 3 things that we did wrong. Or, you can take a forward looking view and give a prescription on how not to repeat the mistakes of the past. We are looking for an insightful and well-written entry that makes all of us pause and think.
    • So IL’ites, please send in your entries by email to contest@indusladies.com
    • Send in your entries by 25th August 2008.
    • Donot post your entries in this thread.
    • Kindly include the contest title in the subject of your email and also your IL username in your entry.
    All the Best!

2. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear Indus lady,

I had sent in first my entry for the contest on Saturday 23rd .

Today, 25th Monday ,I have re-sent the same with a few corrections.

I was not sure if the first entry got across as the site was not accessible on Sat & Sun,anyway I had to make a few corrections so todays ( 25th) entry may be taken as the final entry.

3. Vidya Arun

Vidya Arun Senior IL'ite

Dear Malathy

I am sorry to even ask you this. I made my writeup but wanted to know if i can send it now. I know its already past due date.Let me know and i can send it across.

Love
    Vidya

4. Induslady

Hi Vidya and all IL'ites,

This month being the 1st time we are closing the contest a few days earlier than the last day of the month, we really want to be flexible this month in accepting entries for this contest.

Please go ahead and send it to contest@indusladies.com by Aug 30th, 2008

Thank you for your participation.

5. Induslady

Dear IL'ites,

August being Independence month, we asked you to comment on whether we have used our independence well in the past 61 years. We received very thoughtfully crafted entries and we are very happy to announce the winner as

Paulina

The special gift for Paulina for winning this contest is:
    cellphone_stand.JPG

The gift is a wooden cell phone stand with a picture of elephant carved on it.

All the entries were of very high quality. However, the optimism and the coverage of India's achievements - both in timespan and in breadth - in Paulina's entry won us over. It might be natural for people to make a judgement on the past 61 years using just the events of last few years. But Paulina has covered wide ground, starting from the beginning of this nation's birth - noting down key milestones along the way. She has balanced the achievements with the challenges and leaves us with sense of hope for the future. Well done Paulina!

Paulina, DolorCosta, Wildtrout, Thank you very much for participating and taking the time to send in a thorough entry. Can you all please post your entries in this thread so that other members can get the pleasure of reading it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2008
  6. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Congratulations Paulina- Well done !

Regards.

7. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Dear IndusLady

As requested I am posting my contribution in this thread :

Independence - Have we used it well.

One of the most important days in Indian history is the Independence Day. This is a day on which every Indian, no matter what his political affiliation, feels a sense of national pride and glory, when he sees the National flag being hoisted and the rose petals dropping gently to the ground as the flag is unfurled.

This is the august moment in which we must do some soul searching and find time to take stock of the past and look to future with cautious optimism. On the occasion of India’s sixty-second Independence, I can assert confidently that we can quite be proud of former and excited by the latter.

In the pre independence era, all efforts were made to throw off the British imperialist yoke .Our hearts go out to our great national leaders, valiant freedom fighters who made many sacrifices, including their lives to liberate India from colonial rule.

We have always had inspiring leaders, who fought on the noble principles of non-violence and truth and we now have a responsibility to carry forward this great legacy. Let us not forget the great values and tenets that this noble land is famous for: Sathya, Dharma, Prema, Shanti and Ahimsa

These high values have been passed down to us from time immemorial and indeed this is the legacy that we must pass on to our children.

We can be proud of our strong democratic foundation, a historic constitution and an independent judiciary that have contributed to making India a powerful and well respected nation in the international community.

Freedom brings with it responsibilities and burdens, and that we must face them in the spirit of a free and disciplined people. Due to our efforts and perseverance, we have many achievements to our credit. We have a robust economy with a 9 percent economic growth rate, one of the most formidable armed forces, largest pool of scientific and technological manpower, top-notch reputed educational institutes such as IITs and IIMs and a increasingly global corporate culture , where the Indian private sector stands tall amongst the best in the world. Tata’s buyout of Jaguar cars and Corus steel are indicators of the vibrancy and potential of the Indian economy. Progressive strides have been made in agriculture, irrigation and the retail sector. As the world's largest democracy and a major economy, our role in global political and economic affairs has always been responsible and forward looking.

Apart from this, we can boast of a secular society where the value systems are based on harmony, tolerance and mutual respect. The fabric of our society is based on our age old values of dignity and respect for all humans irrespective of caste, creed or community.

Peaceful co-existence and pluralism have been the cornerstones of our national ethos.

However we must be aware that there are several tasks that await completion and new challenges that need to be addressed. We can never rest on our laurels since a nation's work never ends. We have to work tirelessly to move towards to our common destiny of building India into a role model in today’s world.

The major socio-economic problems facing the country are poverty, illiteracy, unemployment and disease. However measures are being taken to address these core issues. Some of these will be mitigated when the economy undergoes a robust growth. Increasing private participation in healthcare facilities and the education sector will provide some relief to the Govt agencies in these fields.

Today’s problem is terrorism which is rampant on a global scale. India too has been severely affected with several blasts in leading cities. Fortunately we have stood firm against this mindless onslaught and have not allowed these disruptive forces to wreck our national harmony. India has always sought to have dialogue with its neighbors and with the international community in order to promote peace and harmony in the world.

The other issues facing the nation are ecological issues such as pollution-of land, water air and other natural resources. Acid rain threatens to affect several historical monuments including the Taj Mahal.Other types of pollution such as noise pollution is also increasing. Deforestation is carried on in an unchecked and irresponsible manner.

We still have a lot of concerns regarding gender equality, opportunity for all, inflation and political skullduggery. However, it can be confidently asserted that the New India resolutely marches ahead, fully seized with the right priorities and ignoring the niggling inconveniences that may hamper its steady growth.

Another important issue that we need to take cognizance of is non-conventional energy sources. Fossil fuels and petroleum are not going to last forever. The nation must make a deliberate shift towards these renewable sources such as wind, tidal, solar and nuclear energy. In this context the stand of the Indian Govt has been vindicated when they braved a no confidence motion in Parliament, in order get the nuclear deal approved. Patterns of energy generation and consumption must be studied and economies of scale must be achieved. It is pertinent to note that emission and effluent technology must be improved in order to behave as a responsible nation and avoid damage to the ecosphere.

Prudent management of our natural and financial resources is the need of the hour. We cannot be shortsighted and forget that have an obligation to our future generations.

It can be confidently asserted that, if all Indians come together, sink their differences, and resolve to work together as a nation, nothing can stop India from being a truly global leader and a nation that other nations will look up to.

Addressing the title of this post-Independence, have we use it well, my answer is –
    Yes -indeed we have done a good job, but there is still a long was to go.

India has arrived and is ready to take her rightful place in the comity of nations!

Jai Hind!!

[/FONT]

8. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Congratulations Paulina on the winning entry! Waiting eagerly to read.

9. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

WOW MY DEAR RANI PAULINA AMMA
    WHAT IS GOING ON YOU ARE BAGGING GIFTS ONE AFTER THE OTHER...........:clap:clap
    :2thumbsup: CONGRATS TO BE THE WINNER OF AUGUST MONTH:party:party
    Please put in your article for us all to read

10. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear Indus Lady,

Absolutely thrilled that my entry was considered to be worthy of being declared the winner .Thank you for your kind words of appreciation.
    Having spent thirty odd years with my DH in the diplomatic service this topic is one that is very close to my heart especially as I shared those glorious moments standing behind him as he represented the country and unfurled the Tri-colour in foreign climes in many a distant land on several Independence Day celebrations.
    It was a delightful experience for me to write in and take part here.
    Thank you also for the beautiful gift which shall be a prized possession to be cherished forever.

Warm regards
    PAULINA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.