1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Independence Day in our Building

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by malspie, Aug 15, 2007.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Our Party was worth to Hit Page 3 of Times of India

Hi to everyone,

Happy Independence Day.

I am the Chairperson of our Society. We celebrate Independence Day with lots of grace in our society irrespective of the hatred that we share at times with each other. On this day we meet to hoist the flag and sing national anthemn. Children render their speech n we hit on to the delicious snacks and sweets (purchased from out).

Later in the evening we have a get-to-gether in the society premises itself. Woman from each flat prepare one delicious dish. We have 12 flats in the society. Since each of us are from different states, all of us get to dig on to lip smacking dishes from that state. We wear our traditional outfits and have a great time in the evening.

All North Indians love our Sambhar and I am going to dish that out for the party.

Happy Independence Day. :)

The party began at 8.00 in the eve where all men sat with their drinks and women were cracking jokes and entertaining them. Lets list out the dishes:
    Makhani daal, Steamed Rice, Jeera Rice, Sambhar, Aloo ki Sabzi, Puri, Aloo Paratha, Soyabean ki Sabzi ( a dish famous in Nasik District of Maharashtra), Sprouts salad, Pickle (Mango), Pappad, Custard, Payasam.

Of all the dishes my Sambhar was a HUGE HIT.... I was so happy. Praises from all sides. I had made a Huge Hundi full ( max qty). Many of them fought over to carry it home for them to eat the next day.

Though women also praised me, their face fell. As their dishes were not praised much.

I was in my Red Pants with Kurti. One of my neighbour may be after few pegs could not see my pants. He was asking loudly, why are your legs so red........ Since he was a doctor he was worried n that turned out to be a hilarious one liner .... ha. ha. His wife did not like it...... But she moved on, laughed little more louder so that nobody sees her face red....

Another Guy asked his wife to rush home and get a katori (vessel) for the sambhar. His wife went with a dry smile. I cant help. I was looking at the stars in the sky, may the one thats twinkling the most is my mother. She must be happy, I am sure.

Also it happened to be the birthday of one of the new occupants of the building. He turned 62 today. So while singing "happy birthday to you.... " I sang loudly, " Happy birthday dear Uncle". everyone quried.. why that word "unlce' was so loud... my reply, "I saw his wife" Everyone laughed............

Another neighbour came to whisper something in my ears. I suddenly saw his wife galloping to reach him... I managed by whispering it loudly. ha ha....

A girl who has just passed her 10th standard exams with flying colours is not getting much attention in the building as others know that their wards cannot achieve the same. She sits alone,eats alone and goes home alone.

The girl who is going to give her 10th standard exams the coming year immediately nudges and says, " DiDi, look at her pimples, so dirty they look na. I do not know how she is moving around with that face." I corrected her saying she too would have it later. She was not convinced.

Another neighbour just gets up and sunddenly changes place, wondered what happened, Oh, her competitor was around, the woman who was sitting next to her has purchased a Plasma TV, so the other woman toured the whole of North and cried loudly about it. They have become competitors.

I am always a threat... my single status.... most of the woman trust me but not my age and their spouse ..... ha ha....

One female was with me till 1.00 in the morning asking me many times, My mantra of happiness. They have seen me going through hell during my mom's illness and those dark days. She could not understand how I managed to bounce back so easily. Do not look back, you cannot change the past, but the future is in your hands... this is my mantra. However, beautiful is your past, it can only be in your memory, but, you can always make your future full of wonders." My throat was parched, drank water and continued till I could see some smile on her face. She left later. Ha.. finally......

Food was a hit, party was hit, my observation I think was also a hit....

Winding up now.

You need not watch movie "Page 3" and read "Page 3" of TOI (newspaper) to know what a party is....
    We were nothing LESS.....

Bye folks
    Love you all as always.............

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007

2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Good to read. Hardly few or no buildings celebrate ID. Great To know that you do. Good Luck with the Sambhar, Mals.

3. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Mals,

We too celebrated ID today. Ours is a very new society with 200 flats. All have not been occupied yet. But some of the residents here are so active that they keep on organising some programs or the other at the fall of a hat.

Today we had flag hoisting by one of the senior members of the society then a round of introductions. Each one had to introduce themselves. Then breakfast and everyone played dumb charades.

This has also helped all the residents in bonding well with each other.

Warm regards
    Roopa.

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mals,
    Very enjoyable post, hilarious to read particularly your "bottom red" part !
    You are blessed to be single, Mals, but not a blessing always, as well. Every married woman will "view" you as a possible threat, knowing how even the best of man, can "vazinjufy", on meeting a single woman.
    So, your Anda full of Sambar got over in no time ? - you must be having such kaimanam, my friend ! Or did you make chitvish sambar ?:mrgreen:
    Please, put your photo in your avatar - I want to see you, now !
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mals
    your post was really rea;lly enjoyable especially the one regarding your red pants.what is the secret recipe of ur sambar?

6. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hey Kanaka,

The secret of my recipe is, I was playing. " Deep, Deep, Deep, My blue ship, sailing in the water, like a cup and saucer, Deep Deep Deep." Not to add that masala (it it OUT). Again, "Deep, Deep, Deep................

Joking, it was my usual recipe... Turned out well.

Bye Kanaka (nice name...........)

7. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Friends,

This Independence Day, I am away from home!

Nothing to interesting to share dearies! I was waiting for the celebration, some funny anecdotes and to eagerly post it here.

See yaa!

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

mals,
    I missed your last year, Independance day celebration post...
    But this year I am eagerly waiting for one from you...
    Happy Independance Day..

sriniketan

9. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Re: Our Party was worth to Hit Page 3 of Times of India

Dear Mala,

Initially I wondered what were you upto?. But as I scrolded down to the page it was more than interesting. You have depicted a typical Hsg. Society. Isolating some, forming a clique most probably to stab someone at th next general body meeting.
    Most probably page3 was only inspired by our next door lady who looks at you head to foot wondering how you manage all theseb sarees.(Sorry at times you may not even realise what you wore yesterday). But your neighbour knows well.

I will tell you a joke. All the women of my block whether Swamy is at home. Then they don't come home. It seems they see whether both the cars of our's are there. if they find both the vehicles either they may avoid coming or come late evening!(Got the joke).

Believe me it is told by them "Aunty yesterday I saw both the vehicles. So I knew Uncle will be there".
    I liked your joke -you being watched with microscopic eyes, with their husband/s.
    True. Look youcan address the as uncle still things can go the way you want.

I always thought only Goans have crab mentality. kanaka

10. Senorita

Senorita Silver IL'ite

Dear Mals,

I am sure there is some thing in you which may be attracting all your neighbors and off course IL's also. Your way of writing is very nice enjoyable and same time hilarious. Haaaaa red pants Big Laugh you have nicely narrated, so women in your society are jealous of you na..

Like chitra mam i too wanna see you. Do we get that opportunity mals!

Yeah, finally your mantra of happiness is :2thumbsup: