1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Independance Day Out In Bangalore

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sunkan, Aug 15, 2007.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

The Independence Day in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Bangalore</st1:place></st1:City>:

We had gone to see a prospective home for the guys who wanted to move out and strike it on their own and while on the way, I could notice most autos and cars were sporting a national flag, on their vehicle. This phenomenon occurs only during the occasion of 15<SUP>th</SUP> Aug’ on other days one could hardly notice the national flag. Kept safe in the cupboard I suppose for the next 15<SUP>th</SUP>. The road side all decked up dais for the speakers to arrive blaring music drawing the attraction of the drivers, most schools singing the national anthem, institutes some were lined up with chairs for the function to start, some groups of men all wearing the same kind of t shirts and taking group photographs.

On the way back we wanted to round off the event by having a huge family breakfast as it was rare that the entire family had gathered,
    mom and siblings and kiddos, but on our return getting a restaurant that is having space became a rarity, with the holiday spirit it looked all family have planned an outing, we went to sukh sagar, but had to wait for all of us twelve in total, to get a seating arrangement.

While on the wait I observed a well maintained garden opposite and Bangalore is famous for gardens, even a small space is enough for some greenery, a kempegowda statue to go with and a big pagoda or karpaga vinayagar temple street, and when a seat was available we moved forward and we started ordering masala dosa which is famous in Bangalore some had fruit juice as they never took any coffee but many of us settled for the brew to round off the session.

Observed a family ordering one upma, masaladosa and idli vada in sambhar, and the man kept dipping into every thing one spoon over the other, a child along all wrapped up in the head may be had an accident and she was being fed the same way as the father was enjoying one spoon from each dish which is a luxury one can have visiting a hotel, as we can never make all the breakfast items in the house at one go.

Then came a middle aged couple, the man was pretty relaxed, and the lady with all her attachment like a bun on her hair, remember having one when in 30’s from kolkata, she was having a slight lipstick and her diamond earrings, and nice silk saree with all grandeur either they were coming from some function or this was a ritual they enjoyed the most. The companionship of a husband brings the pride in a woman, which can be well noticed in her appearance and at any age they speak with their eyes to agree on what was being ordered. Yes! Man is a season in a woman’s life that should stay for ever to keep it in bloom. They ordered just vada and a cup of sambhar, by then I had to leave the place so not much to observe.

In another table a small little girl had draped on a saree and was all dolled up, looked like she was coming straight from the school function on our great independence day.
    The hotels around were making brisk business, with all the traffic junctions having national flag of various sizes for sale. The festive mood of holiday had taken over every one. Plenty of gajras the strung jasmine for most vehicles, which many bought, so it was not only the decoration for the people but the vehicles were getting all spruced up this holiday…

HAPPY <st1:City><st1:place>INDEPENDENCE</st1:place></st1:City> DAY TO ALL..SUNKAN

[​IMG]

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sunkan,

I will make use of your post to wish everyone a Happy Independence Day !!!!

Enjoyed the flying flag and enjoyed reading about your outing even more:)

It could be a day out of my own life, if I were in B'lore and going around and then stopping at Sukh Sagar for a breakfast! BTW, which SS was it ? I guess there are many all over B'lore. We frequented the little one in Jayanagar the most as my family lives there. Well, like your other article on Yatra Nivas, it brought me back very poignant and happy memories of my visits to Bangalore. The whole post carried the aroma of the dosas, sambar-chutneys and 'piltered' coffee :))

L, Kamla

3. abhatv

abhatv Senior IL'ite

Hai Sunkan,

You hada nice outing on Independence Day. Sukh sagar in Koramangala? There is one more place where you get Mexican food -very good. I did not go anywhere. Saw film on t.v. My office is in Indiranagar. You are somewhere near Frazer Town? I read that in Krishnaamma's thread.

Happy Independence Day!

Regards,

Abha.

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear kamla,
    it is the kammanahalli road sukh sagar, now there are many in each area i should say it is either shanthi sagar or sukh sagar, but yes the dosa was good but with a little too much of garlic, coffee filtered was superb, thanks for dropping here..sunkan

5. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Wow Sunkan, what a write up on your day experience on Independence Day. It took me back to all my memories from Bangalore from the school days we use to dress in school uniform and red ribbons to my hair and red bands to my hands to perform the drill at my school & in college eating idli vada sambhar in my college canteen and watching movies with friends in several theaters in Bangalore and as an adult we always use to go to Lal bagh to watch the flower shows also in turn my mom use to buy lot of rare plants from there. She said this year in lal bagh they made beautiful Taj Mahal out of red & white roses...Thanks for sharing your experience
    Happay Independance Day

Tulasi

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear abha,
    yes, we had a wonderful time, my mother who is blind always insist that we all join for any occassion possible so that she gets to chat with all of us together, and i must say her requests are becoming more and more unique, like she wanted a plate of bajji in the morning, where no hotels make them...but on the whole like how they say peeney walon ko peeney ka bahana chahiye, like wise here milney walon ko milney ka bahana chahiye...regards sunkan

7. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi sunkan,
    So you had a day out on Independence Day... Good.... I just stayed home and listened to the FM playing all my favourite songs...:-D

8. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Hi Sun. !
    Enjoyed reading about your day out. I can well imagine the plastic flags all over the place - was in Bangalore last Ind. Day and seen real HUGE flags fluttering on Autos and flags in all shops in Ulsoor.....Ah ! Sukh Sagar ! Their Gandhi Nagar outlet,( near Tribhuvan Theatre) their very first one, used to serve a mixedfruit punch with a dash of pepper and kala namak sprinkled on top. Slurp ! Slurp !..... Havn't been to Gandhi Nagar for years now , though i visit namma bengalooru frequently.

This Ind.Day, I visited a rural school near Heggadadevanakote with a group. The little ones singing the patriotic songs so earnestly brought tears to my eyes. In the first place, I always get senti. and get goosebumps during Flag hoisting and hearing the Anthem and Sara Jahan se Accha...but those kids, with so little to cheer about in their lives singing : "Jahan Dal Dal par sone ki chidiya......" i melted, Sundari !

rgds
    manjula

9. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

that sure was great a flying
    scooter tops
    tricolours in flags
    salt pepper hair and scarfs..!
    enjoyed a great outing...!

sathya

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

i can understand viju,
    being away from the land, and that too after a recent visit, it is a lot tough, but i am sure plenty of indians all over and u must have a lot of friends too, anyway my hugs to u, dont despair, we are united in thought wherever we are..sunkan