1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

In US - Buy Saree at Chennai

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Classy, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Classy

Classy New IL'ite

Hello all,
    Am new to this site and find a lot of good communication going on here, glad I found this one.
    I live in DC, USA and my in laws are coming in next month from Chennai. My parents live in Chennai and am planning to get a saree for the first birthday of my babies. As you all might agree, its better to look at what you buy. I was trying to see online for any saree collection and if possible give the specs to my parents like the store name, saree name and so on so they can get what I selected rather than leaving the choice to them. I am looking for latest model type of sarees, it seems like silk sarees are out of the trend. So am looking for the work kind of sarees but not very transparent. Can you suggest any places you all know of as good for this, do they have any online collection? It will be really nice if I can look at the picture and get the same available at the store, have any of you done that? Is there any other option I can consider with my constraints? I saw some sites ship to your address in US but am not sure how reliable they are and when people are coming from India I thought I could use it. please advise. thanks.

1 person likes this.

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    the Kumaran Stores (five floor) has brought out a denim saree, please look for that too.

4. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

The occasion fo which you are buying seems to be a traditional one.
    However if you are also considering buying designer wears Manmandhir, Varasidhi are two very good shops.
    Also Sri Krishna has a good collection..

Also consider buying threadworked/ stone worked sarees in pattu..In thing these days :)
    I was able to give you info coz I am doing preps for my wedding in June. Let me know if you want any other info

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Seeing the title of this thread, I was thrilled thinking that I can buy Chennai saris in US. Alas, that is not so. I do know of one store in Edison NJ where they had authentic south saris, not much of a selection, but still they carried a few. But the prices are atrocious.
    I truly wish we could buy good Indian saris here for reasonable prices. I do not feel like spending a good 150 upwards for some questionable saris here.
    Are any of you aware of any private persons selling saris for reasonable prices in the US? If so, share it with us.

A sari lover....Your's truly...Kamla:)

6. ritaroy

ritaroy Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the link Sunitha

Love

Rita