1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In the eyes of the beholder

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dear friends,

From the day I planned to shed off my mid-rib fat, by walking on the nearby school ground, I followed the fellow walker's direction, which was in anti-clockwise.
    I was wondering why not in clockwise motion....(but what difference that is going to make in my walking..still it was in my thoughts). I don't want anyone to think weird of me (eventhough I was weird in my clothing of saree and the walking shoe combo) if I walked in the clockwise motion. So I had decided to go with the flow or be a Roman in Rome( not in my dress sense :biglaugh)
    One day, I raised the question with my mil's helper, who accompanied me to the school ground...both of us were pondering what would be the matter in the anti clockwise direction of the walkers.
    One day, my daughter dropped us off at the school ground and we were talking of the same subject..to which she answered, "Amma, athletes run anti-clockwise.." How did we miss this :bonk. From that day I was into looking what else moved in the anti clockwise direction...
    To my surprise...I got answers why it is done in the anti-clockwise and what else moved in that direction..
    I am sharing it with you all here:

The reason:
    As the heart is located on the left side, pumping blood is made easier if we run anticlockwise (not walking..please note it here) and not get tired quickly compared to when run in clockwise direction.

What else moved in anti-clockwise direction:
    In nature...Molecule structure of amino acids.
    Shape of sea shells.
    Rotation of planets, including our earth around the sun, except Venus.
    Thinking this is also a part of nature...when we fall down and see the stars..that is also in the anti-clockwise direction :hide:

Man made :
    Carousels, clocks, windmills (except in Ireland), revolving doors, cable operated airplanes, spinning Hula hoops (which I am trying, trying and trying in the name of excercise:hide:) washer and dryer, base ball runners and much more...but not to forget Elvis's hip..:idea

Some say that "the directional spin of an object all depends upon your frame of reference". For example, the earth rotates clockwise if viewed from Southern Hemisphere and the other way round if viewed from Northern Hemisphere..

Everything lies in the eyes of the beholder..whether it is the beauty or the movement of objects or any problem we face in our day-to-day lives.

I know you are going :crazy about this thread and feeling :spin (hey, did you notice that this motion is also in anti-clockwise):biglaugh

Sriniketan

2. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sriniketan - Have you started walking anti-clockwise? Unfortunately I can't walk anti-clockwise because I walk on a treadmill :hide:. But whenever I go for a walk to the beach I always walk anti-clockwise. I never gave it a thought till I read your post today. Probably this is the reason they say that 'Valampuri Shangu' is very auspicious because it is rare and different. A very interesting post Sriniketan.

<ABBR title="2009-01-20 04:30:45 +0000"></ABBR>

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Monifa,
    I thought you asked me that I walked backwards :biglaugh.. You cannot walk anti-clockwise in the treadmill, but the belt goes anti-clockwise...isn't it! :idea

You are absolutely true Monifa..Valampuri Sanghu is as auspicious and special as the Valampuri Vinayagar, where His trunk is turned to the right na!

sriniketan

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

HAHA

everyone in the park walks clockwise, but i walk anticlockwise, so that i can meet every female walker twice in a round, since i take 8 rounds, i get to see the pertty faces 16 times, which makes my blood circulation soar u see:rotfl

if i go clockwise, either i will see the back of the same owman throughout, or she will see my back, then what is the fun of taking a walk tell me ?:biglaugh

Good one.

Regards

kamal

5. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Srini dear,

Now I am not sure, if my head is spinning clockwise or anti-clockwise trying to figure out, what all goes round which way :crazy. When we fall down, do we really see stars ?...I am yet to see maybe :biggrin2:

I too have noticed the atheletes...but only throough your post got the right reason for it :thumbsup.
    But about the treadmill....does the belt go anti-clockwise :confused2:. I don't think so..In that case we we would be walking backwards na..let me go and check mine now hehe .

Recently I was reading an article similar to one you described about the spinning of earth as viewed from either poles.
    I guess you would be interested in this piece.
    Thanx srini for thinking aloud. Its a interesting topic for me to explore more now :-d

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  6. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear sri,
    Oh,yes,Iam gritting my teeth for you know that a person like mithila whose iq is to be pitied a lso reads your posts.
    Everything lies in the eyes of the beholder..whether it is the beauty or the movement of objects or any problem we face in our day-to-day lives.

This I understand,when SLN says "mythili,your toothless smile is enchanting"This he said before my tryst with the dentist,may be he wanted me not to spend on dentures.

love
    mithila

7. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hmm Srini
    Something to scratch our heads again.....hehehe
    I never even dreamt about these movements if it is clockwise or anticlockwise, all went unnoticed..................
    An interesting topic something to work on now....hehehehe

8. vennelaaaa

vennelaaaa Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sriniketan,
    Its an interesting observation. And your research on the topic reminds me of how Dan Brown talks about the number 'pi' in Da Vinci code.

9. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

I am not sure whether my entire body is spinning in clock wise or anti clock wise direction:biglaugh:biglaugh

Hey I got a doubt, What about Shaktiman? clockwise spinner(???!!!!) or anti clockwise.

And sri,Saree and shoe is really a great combination:biglaugh

So you hit the great conclusion whether it is beauty or movement, everything lies in the beholder:)

I enjoyed the post very much.:cheers

10. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

I don't thnk anybody can think like you dear Sri! Never thought about any of these clockwise or anticlockwise stuff till I read your post. Hey, treadmill belt spins both ways depending on which side of the machine you are standing and observing. Interesting thought to take it further....