In the Eyes of an NRI returning to Chennai

Discussion in 'Chennai' started by sky98, Jan 29, 2008.

1. sky98

sky98 New IL'ite

Hi All Ilites living in Chennai

I am sure, you have heard this question before and there are so many online forums discussing this right this moment. What is life like in Chennai now? I left Chennai in 1998, so I am more of an outsider now.
    I live in Melbourne, with my hub, who works in Software industry. We have a 5 yr old son. Since we have lot of relatives and family friends in India, we do talk about, briging up our son, in the midst of all these people.
    Which is the best area to settle in, in terms of facilities, logistics?
    Can anyone give me feedback about Vels Billabong school? If not, can you suggest any good schools, around the Adayar, Besant Nagar area?

Will post more questions on this later on. Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs.

Love
    Sumathy

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sumathy,

Regarding schools, please go through the thread on schools in chennai, most of the schools have been discussed.

From the perspective of an returning Indian, chennai has well every thing but at the same time, lacks in lot of things.

In terms of logistics, looks like you have already picked a good area adayar/besant nagar..you have good schools, transport,hospitals everything is nearby...

all the best....for your r2i....

3. sky98

sky98 New IL'ite

Thanks Shanti, for your prompt reply. Since I am new to the club, I am yet to go through all the posts. Even though I spent 24 years of my life in Chennai, it feels strange to enter it now as a mom. I left India as soon as I got married and want to come back now, esp for my son, because, he will get the unsurpassed love of all our family and relatives.
    What would you feedback be about the IT corridor that everyone keeps talking about... the road that leads all the way from Madya Kailash temple, inwards. Are most of the NRI population concentrated there?
    I shall go through the other threads in detail and ask more questions if needed.

BTW, belated anniversary wishes to you.

Love
    Sumathy

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sumathy,

Thank you for your wishes.

But though i look repeating, we have discussed it corridor in the current sq.ft...thread...if you have any doubts..please post there..will be happy to reply...

I know as a new member, it takes a little navigating inbetweent hte threads...so let me give you the l inks.....for all those things we discussed regarding http://www.indusladies.com/forums/housing/11510-current-sq-ft-rates-chennai.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/housing/18433-chennai-real-estate-info.html
    hope this helps...

5. goodper

goodper New IL'ite

its nice that people dont forget the motherland and their near ones even after along time.welcome back to chennai.

1 person likes this.
  6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Sumathy, I hear ya :)

I am away from chennai for like 10 years. I came to US for my studies and then job, marriage and here I am :)

I always wanted to go back to chennai for my kids lifestyle.Since as you know bringing up a kid in America with its culture is a nightmare.

But for the past couple of months actually, the news that I hear is shocking. Chennai seems to be the next bangalore, in terms of western culture. Dating in schools as young as in 8th grade. Spencer plaza is infected with youth escaping without their parents knowledge. It made me think, is the sweet chennai I left is there still, aleast in some parts :(

My 2 cents.

Nand

7. Pree

Pree New IL'ite

welcome back all you ladies thinking in terms of a homecoming.

It is definitely not the Chennai that you left behind - given that you have been away for a decade!

As in any change, some of the changes in Namma chennai leave a lot to be desired. But the good news is, all these have made living more pleasent.

Some pleasures like high speed internet, dish TV, more options in lifestyle show the upside of the growth.

But yes, there is a rising dating and western culture influence.

But at heart chennai is still conservative and has a couple of more years to become even a Bangalore.

Of all the cities where the foreign influence is on, chennai is perhaps the most balanced - there is something special in this coffee.

I am in Chennai for the last 30 years and travel overseas almost every other month. No place has pulled me back like the marina here!