1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In search of solitude!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra
    Here is an instance of a feedback sounding more interesting than the original thread!
    Some people say that my lateral thiking is making me a bit of an eccentric! On this particular incident, my wife chided me for not going up in arms against the hapless creature. If I take more time than usual in the bathroom, she always tells her daughters, "Ungappa edavathu poochiya pathiruppar. Appidiye yosainale moozhgiruppar!" ( "Your dad would have seen some odd insect in the bathroom and would have become lost in thoughts!")
    That poochi's perspective is something I did not think of!
    Sri

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear cheeniya sir,

as always, whenever i feel bored i go back to your old posts and they have the effect of instantly cheering me up.just trying to imagine aishwarya rai of the insect world had me :)
    and how true..most of us wander aimlessly throughout our life without knowing its purpose.the creature being away from its kith and kin and seeking solitude in the crevices of your bathroom to attain nirvana? totally hilarious !:thumbsup

3. Cheeniya

My dear Mindi
    I read this thread of mine after almost two years! And what a compliment your FB was! It was like whatever drugs these sportsmen take to enhance their performance! It has surely lifted my spirits to go on for another year. Survival was getting tougher with people like you, TL, Nats, k2s, sriniketan,kamal, oj, Balaji and the like swarming IL. I even started contemplating retirement. But this FB of yours makes me rethink about my retirement!

We all go to bathroom for a different kind of Nirvana but that insect who never wore a piece of cloth all its life was probably eying a higher form of Nirvana!
    Sri

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    I became dumbfounded after reading this wonderful post !!! Your imagination and mastery over language cannot be described by an ordinary lady who knows only simple English.
    You made me to recollect the poem " Solitary reaper"
    I imagine you as Wordsworth.
    Since Wordsworth could not understand Gaelic, the language of the reaper, he impatiently asks whether someone could tell him what she was singing about. By doing so he sparks our imagination as to what she could be singing about.Like that you were also wondering about the origin of the tiny creature!Wordsworth writesThe music in my heart I bore,

Long after it was heard no more.Like that you also would have sung
    The creature in my heart I bore : It made me to write a post!!!
    with love
    pad

5. Cheeniya

Dear Padmini
    Of all the poems of Wordsworth, Solitary Reaper was the earliest I read and my greatest favourite too. I want to write something that the readers will remember at least until they log off for the day but alas, it has just remained a pipe dream so far!
    It is indeed nice of you to have compared my blog to the Solitary Reaper!
    It is now my turn to be dumbfounded by the towering praise you have heaped on this blog of mine. Ain't you easy to please?:)
    Sri

6. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri:

I can swear that I am dumbfounded. I am dumbfounded because I realized that a "possibilty theorem" has just been proved. The possibility of a perfect wave length between two human beings. You have written in a style that I not only admire, but have often tried to adopt. And, however stupid this may sound, I am willing to announce without the slightest doubt in my mind that his piece of prose was a present from God to me. You were the bearer of course, but that is an inconsequential fact. I have always been able to see through your Godly disguises.

Haven't we all come across endlessly many "it-s" in our lives? Yet why is it that our it's didn't produce the same sequence of thoughts as yours? An it in search of solitude, a crevice where where the it can sit, and engage in transcendental meditation about the purpose underlying its creation. The same crevice mind you that lies behind your wash basin. The same one indeed into which a lizard had entered prior to emerging in the form of a lifeless being.

Ah ha! Even the inexpert biologists that you and I are shouldn't have too much difficulty in taking off from here. And the key line I think could be your Groucho Marx style observation: "A bore is a person who robs you of your solitude without providing you company." My mind, being less philosophically oriented than yours, searches for physical evidence of every metaphysical observation. And this rather mundane variety of my experiment suggests as a working hypothesis that there was a bore waiting for the it inside the crevice. The fat lizard that you wrongly accused yourself of having murdered.

The thing is you see the lizard was inclined more towards gastronomy than philosphical ruminations. Its (the lizard's I mean, not the it's) obesity suggests in fact that the only way it could possibly have kept company with the it was by offering it a resting place inside an open mouth. And there the it entered gullibly enough, assuming that solitude had at last arrived.

I needn't tell you Walrus and Carpenter style what happened then onwards. The fact that you have never come across the it since that fateful day bears ample testimony to the fact that the lizard's stomach was where it was sent to enjoy the solitude it had sought so badly.

And then when the it realized that the philosopher's corner it was forced into was neither comfortable nor escable, it decided to recall a warning that God had whispered into its ears as he sent it on its way to dear earth. The warning was, neither predator nor predat-ed be as far as lizards go. Having remembered what it had forgotten in its single minded search for solitude, it had entered the wrong crevice, I mean the crevide inside the crevice.

But as soon as it was struck by this helpful thought, it began a solitary revolt of sorts which the philosophically untrained lizard mistook as a minor stomach disorder. It came out of its crevice and clung to the ceiling of your bathroom waiting for help to arrive in the shape of your pate.

The more I think about this the more I tend to agree with Einstein in the context of his differences with Neils Bohr. God was not playing with a dice when he created the universe. Everything was preordained, including the lizard's fall on your person with a desperate request. Take me to a hospital please. I have a tummy ache. What you had mistaken for a lizard planning its next move was in fact a lizard rendered semi-immobile by the pain it suffered. It was not moving because it was incapable of moving, given that the it had declared a proletarian revolt of sorts inside the most vital of its (i.e. the lizard's) organs.

The rest is history good friend. While you were philosophising, a creature was dying in pain and yet another, which in its philosophical predilection, had landed in the wrong nook to meditate on creation, was drowning in lizard bile.

Two precious lives lost and all for the indiscretion you committed by designing wash basins with crevices behind them. Even a confirmed non-veggie like me is shedding oceans of tears at the very thought of this senseless destruction of life and you stand there with a Chengis Khan grin. Frailty thy name is vegetarianism!

oj

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  7. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

No doubt.You are a great writer.

Whenever i watch Manirathnam's movies I always feel that they are contemperory. I feel the same reading your articles.

No body will think of writing about "meeting (???!!) an insect in bathroom":rotfl

You are an unique genius Sir:bowdown:bowdown

8. Cheeniya

My dear OJ
    Thank you for your sweet words of appreciation. The tangled web that you have woven connecting the fates of the lizard and the ‘it’ is indeed awesome and puts Walter Scott to shame! I am sure he would not mention tangled web again if he were alive now. In the typical mould of the Malayalam and Bengali movies, you have laid both the principal characters of the story in eternal rest!

I felt highly disturbed that Lord Yama was waiting on his buffalo with his inescapable noose in that tiny crevice for the insect that came traversing across the country in search of solitude and what did the insect get? A tombstone of white marble reading “Your search for Eternal Peace and Solitude ends here”! The poor insect could not escape the pronouncement of the ‘Moving Finger’! The greatest irony of the denouement of the story is that both the vanquisher and the vanquished are laid to rest.

If this had been a story of humans, the Booker guys would be waiting at your doors begging you to accept their coveted Prize. There is a lot of pathos as well in your story. When the insect sighted the fat lizard with a yogic countenance, it probably thought that its long journey for a guru had ended. And when the lizard opened its mouth after an eternity, the insect probably felt as excited as Moses waiting to receive the Word of God at Mount Sinai. The Lizard thought perhaps otherwise. It probably took pity on the insect and decided that it would be better to grant the creature Eternal Peace than hand him a few commandments to make his own peace in this cruel world!

And there is a lot of humor too.
    “Everything was preordained, including the lizard's fall on your person with a desperate request. Take me to a hospital please. I have a tummy ache. What you had mistaken for a lizard planning its next move was in fact a lizard rendered semi-immobile by the pain it suffered. It was not moving because it was incapable of moving, given that the ‘it’ had declared a proletarian revolt of sorts inside the most vital of its (i.e. the lizard's) organs.” The publisher would have quoted the above on the back cover to ensure that it would be a hot seller.

Your last lines are very poignant. The crevices behind the wash basins are like the Cellular Jail to drill some sense into marauding insects to avoid the pseudo philosophers like this particular lizard. But do we ever learn? We garland them on their release on parole!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Raba
    What a tribute that is! Comparing me with Manirathnam is the ultimate tribute! Thank you very much Raba!
    Our own ornithologist Salim Ali was one of world's leading bird watchers. I am a keen insect watcher. I don't know if there is a technical name for 'Insect watcher' like ornithologist for bird watchers? I must check with Padmini (Dr)!
    Sri

10. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

With the help of google, I got to know the word for Insect watcher as 'entomologist'. I kindly request you to append this word under your signature :)