1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In search of school Part2 - LKG

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by TomAndJerry, May 28, 2011.

1. TomAndJerry

TomAndJerry Bronze IL'ite

What do you want in a school?

First of all after looking at so many schools nearby I had a feeling that the school to which my daughter will go should look like a SCHOOL. The kind of school we studied in, spacious ground, trees around, then there are class rooms. Preferably only one floor, ie ground floor and first floor. I did not want her to study in some Apartment kind of schools, which look more like office spaces than school.

Second.. the school should have some children play area like slide etc, and kids should be allowed to play in that!! Often it happens either they will not have all that, even if they have they hardly take kids outside the classroom in whole academic year!

The Director and Principal should be down to earth and willing to spend some time with parents. With all facilities provided, if the Principal says I am too busy now to meet parents we can never feel at ease.

The teachers need not be highly qualified, but whether they are graduates or post graduates, they should have passion for teaching and learning. They should love children. No partiality and favourisms.

School should have sufficient Toilets suitable to children, Seperate ones for pre-primary and higher classes suiting their age.

Nice ayahs in pre primary classes, atleast one ayah per class.

The classroom strength should be 12-15. Most often they tell our class strength is 30-35 and we have two teachers. I dint understand how good that will be!

Schools with food facility provided, it will not only help working moms, but even for kidsit is good they will get freshly prepared food.
    My nephew studying at Jnanadeepa in Shimoga enjoys his school lunch menu every day.

Transportation - I dont prefer AC buses as I have heard lot of accidents with that. Heard a child was sleeping in the bus (in Dubai) the driver was not aware and closed the door after droping kids at school. Obviously AC was switched off and the child died of suffocation.. :-(

One asistant preferably lady teacher or ayah should be there to pick and drop the kids at their points.

The furniture should be user friendly. Space to keep their bags. Height matching the average height of kids.

The school should be near the place of residence, the nearer the good. Child should not feel tired travelling. The travel time should not exceed half an hour.

I do not agree with schools which tell, no homework no burden. The child should build the habit of reading that days lessons, and do some homework on the same. It should not be too much but, homework should be there. Else they will never get into the habit of doing their homework which is required all through out their life..

Ok then, let me stop here, I still have more things to share about my experience 'in search of school'..

Will be back with Part3 soon..

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai TJ,

A very good and practical topic you have chosen for the Blog. Minimum students quality of education with correct comfort to be provided. The child will be a very good citizen and will shine in his/her studies. Now a days even school also do not want the student to come from quiet far off distance. Please continue and share your thoughts dear .

3. TomAndJerry

TomAndJerry Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sree,

Its true that we all want our kids to be good citizens first, nice human beings above everything else.
    But do these schools which ask for Dontation, which ask for registration fee even to talk to principal will teach them Values and ethics?

Dont know if they have anything like Moral Story sessions which we used to have in our school days!