1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In-laws Will Not Let Us Move Out... Help

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by shygirl2016, Dec 6, 2016.

1. shygirl2016

shygirl2016 New IL'ite

I have been married and living with in laws for 5 years now. I come from a very young, open-minded, loving family and my marital family is completely the opposite as both my in laws are always fighting and at each other’s throat and it has been very difficult for me here. I have being depressed and suffer from anxiety and get random panic attacks at night. I have been seeing a psychologist and doing CBT. Both DH and I are very similar in personality; we don’t argue, don’t fight back, put up with all the crap and console to each other in a very loving manner. We have often cried together and just want to get out of her so start our own family. I always told hubby that I DO NOT want to have a baby in this house. Late last year, I fell pregnant and asked him to move out. During this time we had bought a land and were at the starting point of building a house. Hubby said the house will most likely be built around when the baby is due. We had the baby in June 2016 but still no sign of the house. When my DS was 4 weeks old I finally had enough and had a huge fight with my FIL. He really abused and cursed me while I was holding my son. DH took me out of the house and said we will move out in January 2017 even if the house is not built. I listen to him but this time my heart was telling me not to. During this time I have started resenting DH, he never sticks up for me or himself. He just keeps says it will be okay and to be patient. IT’s been 6 months now and we are supposed to move out next month, I have kept reminding DH to tell his parents about us moving otherwise it will be too late. We eventually sat them down and told them. We tried to keep it as positive as we could, our reason was we want to get an idea of what it’s like to live separately, managing the household chores, baby, childcare and both of us working. We want to be prepared before the house is built. FIL was okay with the plan however MIL was not. She kept giving reasons why we should not go and rent. We told her we have thought about all of these reasons and made this decision together and we would still help them out financially like we are. She was not happy. Next day DH came from work and she got him alone and started crying to him saying she is worried about him. My hubby is the most self-sufficient guy ever (he knows how to cook, clean and look after DS) so I was wondering why she would be worried. DH got upset seeing her cry. The following day MIL changed my FIL’s mind and got him to speak to DH regarding not going and what would the rest of the family think. The day after I came to stay with my parents for 2 nights. When I went back, DH said we should all have a family meeting again and think about if moving out is the right option. At this point I just lost it at him!!!! They eventually changed his mind. I had a massive panic attack and just became so depressed. It felt like after 5 years of this **** we finally thought about our future, we took 1 step forward and he took 2 steps back. I have become really disinterest in DH. After all we have been through he decided to ditch me yet again. This went on for a few weeks. Last weekend I was so pissed at MIL behavior I was giving a bit attitude (through body language) I then heard her complain to FIL about me. FIL asked DH to come over to him and asked ‘Are out guys staying or moving?’ DH was shocked at the sudden question and uttered we would like to move. FIL then just lost and went into a psycho mood and was yelling if we leave then he will never want to see us ever again. He said He will never come visit us and nor are we welcome back into this house and its over. Stupid MIL jumped in and agreed that she would also never come. DH was very upset and trying to calm him down, I wanted to defend DH so I asked why he had changed his mind for a few weeks ago. Then he just stated blaming me saying its all my fault and I am taking their son away from them. He said I should be grateful I am married into this family and he never wanted me to marry his son, he said he would bash me up if his son was unhappy. MIL also started to bring up things from 6 years ago that how she forgave me for saying something about her sari and I am so rude etc. I was really being attacked so I lost it. I started screaming like a maniac and said fine I will just leave. FIL also yelled back and told to GET OUT! GET OUT! Along with other nasty things. DH eventually said I am suffering from depression from being in this environment but they said they don’t care, the family will blame them and laugh at them. In laws care a lot about they status but it reality they have had fights with just about anyone. I just grabbed my and DS things and left. Hubby is now trying to convince me to come back home with no solid plan. HE said he parents are upset (I don’t know if they are upset with me or themselves).

2. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

OP, Its tough to leave your in-laws with the reasons you gave them for your move. Its a sure thing that relatives\society will talk about it. A better option would be to look for a job outside your current location and then move. Forget the new house construction if it is in the same city as the chances for your in-laws to stay with you are more then.
    Your physical and mental health is at stake. No one other than you can stand up for you.

shygirl2016 likes this.
  3. mani75

mani75 Silver IL'ite

Shy girl,

Just a quick note to let you know you are not alone. Your in-laws are bullies and your husband is unable to stand up for himself or you or your children. He has no spine.

I would suggest that you stay strong with you decision to move out. Do it. Rent a house, get help, maid whatever find a day care for your baby and set up your household.

This is essential for your and your child's well-being.
    If your husband follows you into your new household - Welcome him. Don't bring up the incidents of last few days. Create a happy environment that is what will keep him with you. Once he starts enjoying his peaceful life with you he will learn to ignore his parents tantrums and hopefully grow the much needed spine.

That will be the best reply to your in laws.

Also don't involve your parents much in your new household untill you are somewhat settled. This is important to isolate them from the insults from in-laws and also will compel your husband to consider his childish behaviour.

I wish you all the happiness and peace
    Mani75

4. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP, normally if couple go separate from parents in the same city, citing the reasons which you had, normally separation ends up in a bitter fight and with claims that dont see my face ever again....
    dont worry, when heat will be cooled all will be right....
    from your post it looks like your husband also want to move out but feeling guilty for his parents....he is not liking upsetting them, fair enough, every child will feel so....you should have come this far, so have some more patience, be little more brave and console your husband...
    tell him that his parents are angry with him just in moment of heat. they will soon be fine with him after all he is their son. Now when you have taken a decision so you should stick to that.
    you try to forget whatever happened till now, focus on building your new life....
    enjoy your new home and baby....best of luck.

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Your problem is not your in laws, but your husband.
    You are married to him. For the courtesy, you tried to live with his parents despite of all the problems. He knows the problems, and faces the consequences.
    He knows that the problems are affecting your health. So, he has agreed, rather promised to keep you out of these problems by moving out.
    Now that he is not keeping up his words.

No in laws would allow their son to leave the house amicably. They will create problems, because they are answerable to their neighbors and relatives on this.
    But that is their problem. If they are so much worried about their society, they should have been careful about keeping you safe and happy at their place.
    Their reckless behavior shows that they care nothing about what others are thinking about them.
    Nevertheless, they are cunning anyways, so they will try their best to take your H on a guilt trip to avoid this.

The problem is that your H is coming out as a spineless, kiddish man.
    He must have anticipated all the drama the moment he promised to take you out of this hell for a reason.
    He must have prepared himself to face this drama when it happens.
    He had time and it was not a sudden decision or reaction.
    He can't make you a prey for his parents' poor taste. He must take responsibilities of you and your health, because you are not just his wife, but a mom to his kid.

Never mind, it is very rare that men take initiatives to save their wives against all the social favors they enjoy.
    The love, care and lavish life style with parents in addition to the social pride of taking care of the parents is what your H too wants, it seems. He is not ready to feel guilt or face the society while facing all the other responsibilities of a family man after moving out.

But you can't keep on suffering, and eventually loosing your mind, love and everything in life as a result.
    Just be the change.
    Stop depending on your H. Be financially independent, if you are not already.
    Try for a job in a place where your new house is located. Even, if that is not the case, get a job for a safe side.
    Inform your H that you can't continue to stay in this hell for this and that reason. Don't give him or your in laws any vague reasons as before.
    Pack your bags, and move out.
    Get helps. If possible, ask your mom to stay with you for a while to take care of your baby while you are out for work.
    Train a nanny while your mom could supervise her. Then eventually leave your kid with the nanny or a dependable day care center.
    Get domestic helps to run the house.
    Mingle with new friends and neighbors, and have your own social circle.
    Invite your H to join you and start a new life all over again. Tell him that you need him and miss him in the new place.
    Leave the rest up to his choice.

If he chose to be with his immediate family, good for him.
    If not, let his fate decide.

Most probably your H and any H would want to live with their immediate family only (wife and Kid), because their heart understands the problem and circumstance.
    If he comes to join you against all the odds, welcome him wholeheartedly. Give him extra love, so that he will overcome the guilt with ease.

Your in laws will come around in no time. Things will fall in the right place in the right time.
    After a few years, you all will forget this dark times, but enjoy your own boundaries with respect.

songbird46 and Rihana like this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Why were you sugarcoating the reason for separation?
    You should have told them that they fight like animals and you do not want to raise your child in such a place.

Now just ask that husband to move out and set up home with you.
    Let them not stay in touch. You don't stay in touch too.Good for you.Don't give any importance.Don't have relations for a few years.When they realize that it is not effecting you all...they will only try to get closer.

7. NandiniGG

NandiniGG Silver IL'ite

I thought for a minute that its my some old post.Its my story.
    You did the right thing by leaving house when they were disrespecting you.
    I always curse myself for not doing the same when it happened to me multiple times.It only gave them more and more power and husband also convinced me every time and took me for granted.Till today i feel i should have left at least for a couple of days.They should be answerable to my parents,their relatives,neighbors for their behavior.They should feel embarrassment for not respecting their DIL. especially husband.He should feel the fear of losing you if he is watching you getting disrespected and not taking appropriate action to stop this.
    When it comes to choosing his parents ego and your respect he chose his parents ego.Let people question him.You also try to stand on your own feet.Just stay away at least for a couple of days for your sanity too.
    My husband always convinced me to save his family's respect and not tell anyone.I did not.Till today he is not ready to accept his parents misbehavior.I feel so bad on myself that why i did not create a scene and kept enduring all the nuisance to me.I should have called the police or my parents and relatives.
    These kind of people who have no control over their behavior ,generally have a bad reputation in relatives and neighbors.People also start asking all kind of questions.
    Not for them but for yourself please find a job.even if it is a small job.Have full control your life and your new household.Make good relations with people around.Get involved in kids life,school etc.Make yourself indispensable.
    I did the same after separating from in laws.Now i have a good relation with my husband.My kids are doing great and we love each other.My in laws try to make good relations with me..talk to me sweetly.I try to keep distance as much as i can.I also talk to them nicely but not trust them even a bit.I know the moment they feel i am weak same thing will repeat.

dimhere, yesican and Shreema86 like this.
  8. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

Adults should live separate. You and his should move out. Let society and "others" say what they want.dont care. You have to call home a place where you can find peace.

9. shygirl2016

shygirl2016 New IL'ite

Thank you for you posts, its been six months now and basically no improvement. We are still staying here. MY SIL and BIL got involved. SIL begged me not to break her family apart. I just feel like nobody in this family cares about me or my mental health. Everybody is too scared of FIL's temper and as for MIL, she is just a nut case.

10. shygirl2016

shygirl2016 New IL'ite

If only....