1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

in laws visit usa,, watching TV all the time

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by 27csweetangel, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

Simple solution as posted earlier .. Get another TV !
    Not a fancy one, but something that works for you !!

2. bril

bril Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Like others have suggested, best would be to let them watch the tv... why keep them idle and invite trouble anyways!! This routine is going to be for some fixed time until they get back to india.. so be happy for that.Try using that time of yours for some other hobby, it will keep ur mind occupied:)

Since u say ur here to also rant about it, let me do my part of venting also :p
    I stay with in-laws..Initially during the first few months after marriage i never watched any thing on tv myself except for watching with them (their soaps (which mil n fil watches) and sports,news (fil alone watches)!! phew!) They never realised that i might also want to watch something myself!
    Later DH realised this, without me telling him (sweet of him :)) and got another TV and line in d room :).....This was the start of another twist in this tale!:)
    since me and DH work, we never used to watch much tv during weekdays, so mil started using the tv in the room and fil the tv in the living room. Then on weekends, even when we were at home, mil used to sit in the room even night at times and fil used to occupy the other tv..It went to a point where i felt that we lost our privacy and again without me telling him, my DH put the tv in our bedroom in his parent's room :) So thats my funny story of my tv watching :) So as such there are 2 TV's now, but i still cant get to see my fav programmes on it.. (Not that i have a huge list, i only have time to watch on weekends :) )
    Otherwise, my inlaws are nice ppl and dont create much problems except for the times when they try to be in charge! :D I m slowly getting used to all of it.. its been more then 2 yrs now... and one thing i have learnt is not to complain and find new things to do (I do a lot of gardening, cooking and reading over weekends now :) )
    Thanks for hearing me out !

3. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

I 100% agree that these serials are always negative, and DIL/MIL drama's are to much, more over kidnapping, murder are be shown as if they are part of daily life. When my MIL was alive( she expired about two months back) both my in laws were glued to the TV, they wouldn't even care to ask us what we want to watch or even reduce the volume, so me and my DD use spend half our time in our rooms or outside home, but now my FIL is really not interested in those serials because he never watches them now, very very rare, think he was forced to watch because of my MIL.

Dear csweetangel!!! if your inlaws visit is only for 2-3 months just cope with them and don't complain since it's only temporary, though they have other modes of entertainment they will never sacrifice their fav. serials, but if they plan to stay in your place for longer period, then I really don't have any word of advice, because I myself under went this torture for the past 15 years but could'nt do much about it, all I did was to leave the place.

4. 27csweetangel

27csweetangel Silver IL'ite

thank you all,so reading replying so patiently..i guess i am more relieved after hearing all of you ,,i have a DVR service which can allow recording programs.. but then i can watch even the recorded programs only after 10 pm that is when in laws sleep he he i have to wait whole day till they sleep :) now, Life moves on !!

5. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

At least he is aware about it. Appreciate him for that.

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Its not just my inlaws, my parents also watch tv all the time when they are here. My mom helps me in the kitchen but dad is pretty much a couch potato when he comes to my place.

The serials I like to watch have no morals either; example, I love Two and a Half Men, Family Guy etc. Even if they insist I watch my favorite channel, Its not fair on my part to expect them to take a liking to my favorite serials. Not having any morals in my favorite channel makes it easy of course.

In fact when ever either my inlaws or my parents visit, we make sure to buy the channels they like. After all they are here on a vacation; let them enjoy it.

All this, assuming they are here in short term.

7. arty2010

arty2010 Bronze IL'ite

Read books/ magazines or do something which will keep you occupied rather than thinking abt this. This is for a short while right..You need to fight for this only if your kids are getting influenced negatively by all this. I understand its basic courtesy to consider other people's interests or wants when living in the same house be it you or your inlaws. Not sure, these things just stop at TV.. though. It normally does not stop at TV :) You can either choose to speak up or stay quiet and find other ways to entertain yourself.

8. 27csweetangel

27csweetangel Silver IL'ite

I wish my ILs were like your MIL,btw, golden girls is my fav too..why dont indian MIL learn something from these golden girls ;-)