1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In Law's tradtions

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by jooti, Oct 17, 2007.

1. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Actually when my mil came to stay with us for that long vacation back in 2007, I REALLY wanted to learn the family culture and traditions of my dh's family. But since she didn't want me as part of the family, she didn't share any of the traditions. Keeping me ignorant of the family traditions is her last ditch attempt at keeping me an outsider.

I think anyone who has inlaws who try to share their family culture with you (the dil) is lucky, because at least they see you as part of the family and want to invest their time teaching you the in's and out's of their traditions. I think a husband and wife should make their own traditions too, but it's nice to also keep traditions from both parental families alive too.... like keeping our historic culture alive through the generations.

2. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

ASG,

+1 from me.

I wanted to know the traditions but my MIL never told me anything properly at any time. Some knowledge she had to impart my cosis because my BIL knows these customs and may question her. But I have to remain a sidekick to her/cosis/SIL forever. So now a days I dont care much and find out from mom/friends who follow same customs as MIL and follow them.

3. SoundVijay

SoundVijay Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I personally feel following the traditions and practices of the In-Laws side on the auspicious days is reasonable. But being a replica of my MIL would never allow me to try different things or explore new ways of doing it. My MIL is from a village and feels a married women should not even trim her eyebrows. Being a women of this age following her usual tradition would never make me live my life. Think what would be our DIL's reaction of we wanting them to be our replica.

Regards,

Sound.