1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In-laws Prefer Some Grandchildren Over Others..?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Patientone, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Patientone

Patientone Silver IL'ite

Do you notice this? My in-laws prefer their elders sons son and daughters daughter rather than my kids or anyone else...you can just tell by the way they treat them on their birthdays etc. Not sure why maybe because their son sends them money regularly and my husband doesn’t. But it seems unfair....do you notice? My daughter doesn’t notice but I worry when she’s older she will. My husbands sisters daughter also gets a lot of expensive gifts from mother in law. But my daughter won’t even get anything.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Very common.
    Usually if the in-laws have a favorite child then those grandchildren will end up getting favored. Or if one set of grandkids lives nearby and the grandparents see them more often then they will be closer to those kids. Or if son-in-law or DIL is strict about access to kids they will gravitate to what is easier.
    There’s not much you can do about their attitude, but make sure that it’s not blatant in front of your daughter. If they visibly discriminate then ask your husband to have a conversation with his parents.

3. KayKuyil

KayKuyil Silver IL'ite

Absolutely common. I get your worry for your daughter. As a second-class grandkid myself, I can tell you that eventually she will understand. It will hurt a little bit but she will learn that it’s not worth it. It will make her be more understanding to you.
    Bad side-effect? Hope she doesn’t tell her angry paati that ‘you, me and George bush won’t die that quickly for all the sins we made’.

4. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

THIS.
    Golden child's golden grand child.

There is sometimes a scape goat child which is even worse. Take expenses from the scape goat yet favor the golden child.

SCA, chanchitra and MalStrom like this.