1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In Laws not giving our wedding gifts

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by varsudhir, May 19, 2011.

1. varsudhir

varsudhir New IL'ite

Hello ladies..
    i am really upset and moreover my husband is very very upset....
    i want ur thoughts on my problem...whether me and my hubby are right or wrong...

We got married 2yrs back..till this month we are still with ILs...next month we are going seperately coz misunderstnading between My hubby and his parents..:drowning

my hubby's friends and other collegues and some of his relatives presented him silver articles as wedding gift ..which till date is with my
    In laws...
    since we are moving alone...my hubby asked his dad that he wants to take his gifts so that we can use when we move seperately...

now his parents are saying they wont give the gifts and they will decide and divide the gifts ..that too not now...

We are so pissed off...

moreover My hubby has a brother who is a college going guy...so my in laws are always partial towards him...

why shd they didvide gifts given to my hubby and give ?

pls help me :drowning:drowning...

2. swathika

swathika Junior IL'ite

Well if your in laws are not ready to give right away then I am not sure what you can do about it. Yes it is wrong, but if you are already having a misunderstanding then not sure if you want to add more.
    One more suggestion even though you have not brought that point in your post. If your DH is having issues with his parents, you please stay out of conversations or any discussions and let him tackle. End of the day they are still his parents and if they ever decide to get back together if you have made any comments or something that might still be remembered and tossed around. End of the day your DH is still their son but you are a Wife and DIL.

Sorry I am sure I did not understand your original question. I am sure others would have some better ideas !

3. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

There is not much you can do about it if your in-laws are particular that they will not give you the gifts. If you and your husband insist and fight for them, it will be come even messier issue. So let it be. From now onwards, be careful with your possessions.

Also, as Swathika mentioned, stay out of the arguments. Your husband can say a word or two to his parents and get away with it. But you as a DIL have to be very careful. So let your husband handle the discussions.

4. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Ofcourse they seem to be very silly, but I think nothing can be done in this.Just leave it and move on .You can think about it later.

I actually wonder, your DH really asked for the gifts since men won't be that much particular about getting back the gift items that too with his own parents.:)

5. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

yes it is not respectable on their part that they are acting like this
    but think this way: Do you really think those silver articles are worth your stress and your DH too?

I know money is needed for life, but more than that it is the peace of mind which counts.
    Just think of it as a gift from you and your DH to the parents and move on...

You will feel better about yourself

6. njsa

njsa Senior IL'ite

let them take any and tell to give ur h's staff gift which is important to u both.people gift things for the wedding to the couple to start their new life.let them take,u willl get everything by time.
    my IL took all the gifts and money and sold some of the gifts as well.now i have every good and expensive items.

7. GoodTeacher

GoodTeacher New IL'ite

Do you think that they might not be giving you the gifts because you want to use it to live seperately? They might be trying to control that situation.

I have heard of many incidents likes this, that is why my DH and I made sure my MIL did not get a hold of our gifts (she is not trustworthy).

Are the gifts in a place where you cannot get to them? This is a very strange situation. You should let you DH handle this and be firm.. you should stay out or it can make things very complicated. I read others' advice, but the truth is THE GIFTS ARE YOURS and that is VERY WRONG for them to control. Let DH be a "the man" and figure out a real solution.

Also, figure out their motivation. Are they financially insecure? Are they just scared of losing you guys? Is anyone on the materialistic side?

8. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

This is what my understanding.

I don't know how much percentage his friends and relatives contributed in it though.

Relative gifts,especially boy parents would beleive that,the relatives gifted you becuase they gifted to them at some point of time of they need to give them back later.That's the reason,they beleive those gift items belong to them.
    And also they beleive that,they raised there son until now,so those things belong to them.

If his parents,in that situation then you really can't fight over it.You can check on the items his friends gifted and you may need to gift them againg at some point of time.

But this is not really worth of getting upset on the parents.let it go.

9. sindura16

sindura16 Bronze IL'ite

very well said...i second you

10. varsudhir

varsudhir New IL'ite

Thank you girls...whatever you said is so true... i haved asked my hubby to forget about the gifts and move on...
    my hubby had a major fight with his dad again yesterday...

bcoz his dad said once the younger son's wedding is over he will divide the silver gifts recived for both the sons and give each half...:rant

I dont know why this idea...

now my hubby asked them to give his silver gifts given by his friends..then he can keep every other thing he wants..to...

But i have not infered into this mess...but then my FIL is calling me up..and telling whatever he is doing is right :hide::hide: