1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In-laws during Pregnancy - Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Rimjhim1486, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Rimjhim1486

Rimjhim1486 Bronze IL'ite

Dear All,

Posting a new thread, Need your blessings and suggestions I am here all after a very long time. But I have been away / out of touch because of a good reason.

Happy to tell you that I'm pregnant with our first baby :) :)

I stay in Pune with my husband, we both are working in IT companies. My marriage is a short of love come arrange marriage. I am from Rajsthan brought in MP how ever my husband belongs from Bihar.

I am sharing some thing personal but to whom I will share accept my IL's....

My MIL has a big problem with me because I am Non Bihari, when we got married she created a big scene when she came to know we are leaving Bihar bcz we have to go for our honeymoon not for joining the office. Then when we came to pune after our honeymoon the next day she & FIL came to our place, initially I was very uncomfortable so my husband told they will just stay for 1 week then they will go back how ever they stayed around 3 months with us and my brother in law stay in Mumbai so every weekend we have to take them to Mumbai and back to pune. I really had a tough time with them and that time my husband also not supported me. My MIL use to seat in my bedroom with my husband and use to talk, in morning I use to prepare lunch for every one before leaving for office.in the evening she was ready with the food complaints ....

My husband also every month books the tickets in tatkal for my in-laws for some or the other reason, they went to my SIL place when she delivered baby, my MIL was not doing and helping her own daughter and called my husband and told plz arrange a cook and full time servant, and you wont believe my husband actually called the agency and arranged servant.My husband spent so much money on them, and already he is having loan for my SIL and his own marriage. so I am also being worried for my future.

Now as I am pregnant, I really do not want they should come and stay with me because I want my stress free and this time my doctor strictly told me not to take too much stress. but since the time I came to know that they are coming in next week, I am really being worried, some or the other reason I am fighting with my husband. Please suggest what should I do.
    Honestly I do not want my in-laws to stay with me during my pregnancy and delivery also. My MIL makes me really crazy .. If I prepare pav bhaji she wants Roti sabji that day If I prepare pulav she wants dry vegetable and Daal with that. and that too after I spent long hours in my office.

Please suggest what should I do, I am really in stress.

2. paramlav

paramlav Silver IL'ite

Dear Rimjhim,

Congrats on your pregnancy dear....Have healthy diet,be happy.

Am not good in suggesting,i just want to say
    enjoy this wonderful period,donot take stress try to ignore..its not simple as said..when i am reading your post its replicating of my own..stress is not at all good it impacts on bp fluctuation..try to do breathing excercise.
    Say to your dh firmly ,if he wants healthy baby donot make you feel stress .if possible tell him to make you happy.everything is possible,you just need to make your mind.Don't worry dear everything will be fine. My heartfull wishes and prayers that you deliver a full term healthy baby .

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

That is done to make sure they prick the love,romance bubble that made their darling son choose a girl against their wishes.They just wanted to put salt in your kheer....:coffee

As for ils coming for delivery....haven't you left it too late for changes?You should have raised this issue long time back...you had nine months to do it.What are the alternatives? Are your parents ready to come? Are you allowed /willing to travel to parents place? Are you ready to to raise hell and fight with dh to stop them?You really haven't left many options dear.

If you do have some options...do suggest and we can try and work with those.

If not...then I suggest you take few steps.
    1)Get a full time maid for the first few months.You are a working women and you deserve the rest when you are having a baby ...you have earned the right .....you don't have to ask.Just go ahead and keep a full time maid.
    2) Keep some one to cook.....don't bother about what mil says...she doesn't like cooking and she doesn't like your cooking(you shouldn't be cooking either ways)
    3) Tell husband to take leave for the first few days till the routine is set with the helpers.He should make sure that your mil doesn't try to derail.
    4) Prepare your husband.Tell him you want complete rest for 2-3 months so that both you and baby are healthy.Tell him you do not want mil to work hard ...so you have kept a maid and cook. Delegate work to paid helpers.....they will work according to what you want.Don't worry about money and if any one raises the issue......tell them if a maid and cook can be sponsored for sil's delivery...why can't you do it with your own hard earned money.
    5) Stay in your bedroom and rest. During this time ,think only about yourself and your baby...if any one wants anything done...tell the maid to do. If it can't be done...let it be.
    6) Enjoy your baby and ignore the side show. Keep your eyes and earsclosed to what is happening in the rest of the house. Keep some calming music ready in your bed room.Play it at low volume...good for you and the baby.
    7)Keep dry fruits and fresh fruits in your bedroom.Snack on them when ever you feel low on energy.
    8) Keep some one to come and massage you and baby if doctor permits.
    9) Encourage your husband to help you and the baby....if he does....praise him for it and show your appreciation in words and smiles.
    10) If health permits....try to be presentable.Sometimes women tend to let it all go....Be clean and smell nice.
    11) Tell husband before hand that you want your husband to continue be in your bedroom with you and the baby. It will help with bonding as a family.(Sometimes mils tell their son to sleep some where else because their baby's(not your babygigglingsmiley) good night rest will be disturbed)Tell your husband ...this is his chance to be a part of the baby making process....his contribution with having a baby.
    Best wishes dear......calm down and try to enjoy the last few days of your pregnancy.Wishing you all the best .hugsmiley

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    5 people like this.
  4. Rimjhim1486

Thanks so much Param,

I can see each words what ever you written is full of love and so much of care. Thanks so much.

5. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

Hi ,

Congratulations!

I understand your worries. I liked YM's suggestions. But is there anyway to avoid them during this period?
    With in-laws liek that (i had the same issues) does not matter how many arrangmenet you makes forur self for physical work, u end up stressing urself mentally. And our hormones is not much help during this time anyways. Unless u can really take 'donot care' approach, then it is a different story.

Try talking to ur DH and have ur parents instead. If need to tell, say it is a custom or whatever. Do not complaint about PILs but show u will be worried with work they will have to do and then u will end up doing it because of that worry, and baby's health may be impacted. Rather have ur parents.

6. TheUnhappyWife

TheUnhappyWife Silver IL'ite

Everytime I see such posts, a chill runs down my spine. Please be brave and step your foot after deep thought instead of acting on impulse ! That's all I can say.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Rimjhim,

In which month you are in..Since you are working I expect you will be in office for atleast 8-9 hours in a day, When you come back, go to your room and take rest saying yo are very tired and Dr asked you for rest. If you think you will have load for cooking ..there is a way to avoid that. you can say you are unable to bear smell of cooking (even if you do not have any problem). I hope your MIL will understand even if she doesn't tell in front of everyone. No one other than you can verify this ..even doctor because it's defer from person to person and pregnancy to pregnancy. If you MIL want to eat, she will cook herself.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rimjhim1486

Thanks so much YM :)

You have given me a detailed suggestion lotsss of thanks to you.
    My Mil doesn't like to work even she didnt help my SIL although my SIL is very good & understanding. In my parents I have my mom & she is working so it will be difficult to go to my mom's place and my husband will not leave me he wants me with him all the time even when I was not pregnant that time also he always use to go with me to my mom's house and stay with me till the time m there.
    My inlaws coming plan was not planned asuch initially bcz I thought my MIL will not come bcz she know she has to work but do not know why they are coming and even no idea til when they will be here...
    I have a cook @my place he comes in morning & evening how ever he dosnt know how to cook vegetable so i do that and have cleaning servant.

Problem is my MIL demands for unexpected food during odd times when servant/cook is not around earlier when she came to my brother in law's place in mumbai She told the Cook their that dont come or dont cook my Rimjhim will do this.

9. Rimjhim1486

Thanks Every one Priya/Ambika/ Wife/Param & YM..... you all made me smile really.

I am feeling like my elder sisters or some one from my mom's place is suggesting me.

You all are really good Thanks so much.

@Priya : My 1st trimester got over I am due in Jan 2015.I like you idea :)

@Ambika : I cant avoide my PIL's visit, my hubby will not allow them not come or for stay he will say : " tumhe galat lagta hai ujhe to aise koi problem nhi lagti accha hai tumhare pass koi rahega"