1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

IN-LAWS and their expectations from a DIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by shakambari, Jun 24, 2009.

1. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

In India ,when a girl marries a boy,she gets his family too as a package deal...

Living jointly or alone as a nuclear unit (maybe in a different part of the
    WORLD) they weild a sizable influence on her life.

What are their regular or bizzaire or crazy or manipulative expectations from her?

2. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

I think my MIL would like me to be just a silent spectator in my family issues where all the control lies with my BIL ( DH's elder bro) and indirectly with her.She wants to act like she is very non interfering. Infact I had lot of indirect lectures on this issue both by my co-sis and MIL.

Ofcourse all the household responsibilities are mine. But decisions no..
    I am not mature enough for that:spin

3. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

My MIL expects me to be a "good" DIL i.e. do all the housework, serve all her needs, keep my mouth shut and listen to her, do exactly what she says and still go out and earn a living. It's too bad she did not get the DIL she wanted ;-):rotfl

sindmani likes this.
  4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

and i forgot ...

I should forget that I have family of my own and pretend my mom and bro don't exist

sindmani likes this.
  5. supriyaakp

supriyaakp Bronze IL'ite

My MIL expects me to forget my hubby and my son(my amma,my sister also in the list) i have to do all the housework, do exactly what she says.Dont even think to open my mouth even to yawn,and go out and earn,give all my earnings to her,have to ask pocket money from her.:bonk(but my hubby dont allow me to earn.Because he feel he is responsible for his wife).She expects all the properties should be in her name. All my jewels are hers. i have to ask her permission to wear my jewels, to talk with my son,talk with my hubby etc.etc.

TOTALLY SHE EXPECTED A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW WITHOUT BRAIN.I'm not she wanted.:rotfl:biglaugh

sindmani likes this.
  6. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

Married for 7 years.. still trying to figure this out.

Good one btw, shakambari !

7. nivitha

nivitha New IL'ite

My in laws, I feel them as the most dangerous humans in this world.
    They expect me to be a parrot in a jail, who shouldnt hear and speak. Not only me, they expect even my parents to always bend to their knees.
    Whatever wrong they do or my husband do, they use me as the scapegoat.

They expect me to be a money earning machine, and one should always respect them irrespective of whatever damn evil things they do.

They expect me to surrender me, my feelings, my self respect, my desires, most of all my sexual emotions, and even the desire to become a mother completely.

8. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the fbs Kma, Pmahensa, Supriya ,AshaKarthick& Nivitha.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  9. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear ladies,
    surprised or rather shocked to read your posts!!! do you mean to say even to day these type of people exist? I can not believe this. I am also having two DILS. but we respect each other feelings. their parents also visit us regularly. so I am not able to digest this. Because nowadays, some girls give preference only to their parents!!!!
    with love
    pad

10. Tulip29

Tulip29 New IL'ite

As padmini said even i am suprised to see the replies from DIL i thought those days are gone back in 1960 neither my MIL nor my mom who is also MIL behaves to their DIL's as mentioned above.They respect the DIL's and also their families too.

I have never seen my MIL ill treating her DIL’s in any way except she is too lazy to help us out when she is in US and non–interactive (sometimes it annoys me) and never asked us to help us out in kitchen when we visit India and never insisted us to stay with her when we visit all she ask us is to go to our parents house and spend time with them. She even said this too me before marriage and still she follows that .so I was really surprised to see the post from other DIL’s

Even my mom when she was a DIL she never had any issues with our grandma she was non interfering and similar to my mil she was lazy too:rotfl