In how many hours do you complete cooking...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by saipavani123, Feb 16, 2010.

1. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

[justify]Hey all :)

Its not major problem ..but general opinion/advise needed.....in general how many hours do you complete cooking.....I mean daily cooking...

I cook 1:30-2 hrs in the morning ...breakfast(idly...dosa...upma)....lunch which includes dal....curry and rice(including 15-25 min tea break/time pass in the middle.....and washing used utensils too ) and might be 1 hour in the night....(chapathis and curry)....sometimes we eat leftover curry from the morning... my husband sometimes says I am very slow at cooking :p....given a chance he would do all that in 1 hour.....[​IMG].. ( he means cutting vegetables....cooking dal..curry..rice and breakfast...all that i cook) ....is my pace really slow?? [/justify]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010

2. vimalalucky

vimalalucky New IL'ite

hai y r correct i t will take same time to me also My friends and my in laws will take more than 2 hours

3. Katrinebonn

Katrinebonn New IL'ite

You know Sai, you're not that slow. Maybe the main reason why you reach 1 1/2 to 2 hrs of cooking is because you cook more than one dish. I usually cook for 1 hr. But within the time frame, I can only cook 1 kind of dish: vegetable stew -- plus rice.

:).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
  4. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi shiva,
    well,it depends upon person to person & dish to dish.
    i usually soak dals & rice before cooking so actual time starts much before the time spent in kitchen.
    i am very quick & manage to multitask.like i put dal for cooking & in meanwhile i will chop veg,tomatos,cucumber ,onions etc.then put dal masala on stove,salad in plate & make flour for chappati.
    when dal is boiled i will put veg on stove & rice on another side.as soon as rice is done i start chaapati.when chaapati is finished till then veg is also done.then get dh & kids to set table & we are ready to eat.
    if its dals like channa,beans etc i usually take 1 hr otherwise its finished in 30 to 40 mins.
    i guess ur time taken is enough as u take a break in between & wash utensils too.also,ur items to be cooked are more .in night u can start chaapati when curry is half done .that way u will get time to finish chapati,fresh up yourself & till then curry will be done.
    pragati

5. Venuji

Venuji New IL'ite

I like to cook. We most often make traditional menu for lunch:

- rice
    - dahl
    - subji
    - chapati
    - salad
    - some drink (natural juice)

We are strict vegetarians and we offer everything to Thakurji.

With offering it takes about one and a half hours.

One of the tricks we use is to prepare (clean, cut, sort, soak...) all the items night before. Then at noon we start to cook lunch. I like usually to hear some devotional music (bhajans) while cooking, because that way I get ecstatic and everything is made in happy mood.

Sometimes I hear pravacan on tape or cd by Guruji and in that way with cooking I get inspiration too.

In the morning we take fruits and in the evening some light soup.

6. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Wow Saipavani....u are not at all slow in my opinion...u cook breakfast and then lunch which includes more than one dish and also in between u say you make tea/coffee. I do too in 1.5hrs all that you say...except cooking rice.

Next time your DH says that you are slow ask him to take up the job once and you time it...:rotfl

Jaya

1 person likes this.
  7. saipavani123

[justify][​IMG]yeah gjaya...I was thinking of the same...why not give him a chance and I will enjoy for a day or two [​IMG] . I was kidding with him the other day :tongue ...he told he would do that soon and show me [​IMG]...anyways not a serious issue...he wanted to tease me and say I am slow..[/justify]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  8. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    I need abt 30 mins to 1 hour for a meal-

provided I have cut veggies and grated coconut and my mixie,gas stove and MW.

9. skchivukula

skchivukula Bronze IL'ite

Hi Saipavani
    No need to worry. In the beginning it will take one to one and half hours for cooking - breakfast, cutting veggies, preparing rice, daal / saambaar, curry, salad (often) and chutney / pachchadi (sometimes).
    Once a person is used to it or gets experience, slowly the person picks up and starts doing things a bit faster.
    And then it will take hardly less than one hour to complete the work.

10. saipavani123

shakambari and skchivula....yeah i am getting used to it slowly ...hope as time goes i cook in less than 1 hour :)