1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In Defence of Arvind Kejriwal

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

@Balajee, Congrats on AAP win. I am always scary of absolute power. George W Bush wiped off the surplus created by Clinton and put US in debt. Opposition and worry of losing the power anytime keeps a person/party in check.

About the nuclear deal, we need the technology and materials. It is the only way to provide clean power to the ever growing population. So, we can't dictate terms.

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Akanksha, in democracy there is nothing like absolute power. If Ak doesn't perform, hje;ll be thrown out in five years. Nuclear power is clean power? Even after Chernobyl Three mile island and Fukushima? Do you known Countes like Germany and Austria have set a deadline for being nuclear power free.? It is the most dangerous source of power. While an ordinary hydel power plant has accident it can be contained easily and the xdamage will be minimal but a nuke accident can blight generations.

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Why should Indian insurance cos pay when the faulty equipment is from elsewhere and was not manufactured in India? It is only fair that the supplier pays for flawed equipment. As for the wardrobe bit what I am saying is not about the cost but about the name-embossed pinstripe. Narcissism is a sign of mental illness, a kind of neurosis. It shows a deep sense of insecurity.

4. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

MH370 went down, so all flights at some point of time will fall down and remain untraceable?

I don't think we are importing a fragile piece of plasma tv that we are going to start operating out of the box. The supplier would have to install it and NPCIL will do stringent tests of the reactors and certify it before it attains critical and generates the full installed power.

You are entitled to your name-calling, character assassination and armchair psychiatry on virtual worlds.

However in the welfare of the nation(which includes your welfare too) when the time of next voting comes, exercise your democratic right/duty in the polling booth after removing your bias and prejudice, if any, and vote based on the performance of a government in vital parameters like international relation, internal security, economic growth, employment opportunity etc, and not on trivial stuff like wardrobe, name embossed pinstripe etc.

1 person likes this.
  5. Akanksha1982

@Balajee Sir, I did some more reading on this as i was not familiar on this topic.

Five years is too long. Bush went from surplus to deficit in 4 years. Any time some disaster happens, there will be protest and government will fill the pressure to commit some steps. However, can Germany afford to slow down its industries especially at a time when the European economy has not recovered? In US, Obama government spent billions of dollars on renewable energy. The total energy produced from renewable energy increased by just 1%.

But case of India is different. India doesn't have electricity to thousands of villages. On top of it, if GDP, employment, infrastructure needs to be increased, new industries need to be started. I am sure that Government must have looked into the demands of energy and must have thought that nuclear is better, cheaper, faster and scale able to meet those demands. This was the assessment by the previous government and the new government as well. (I don't believe that these people were/are stupid, fools, anti-patriotic, corrupt as we are being made to believe. The current government is following the same policies, as the earlier government, which they opposed at that time). We would have taken the same decisions if we were in their shoes. China has many nuclear power plant and is constructing more. Are Chinese not smart or not afraid of accidents? There are nuclear plants in US, also a few in India with no record of disaster.

About hydro power is also a good source but requires construction of dams and altering the paths of rivers. Is that easy in India with so many states and different parties ruling them? Constructing dams in India takes decades. Not sure how long Narmada dam took. Also, it was struck by opposition from Medha Pathak. So by the time a dam is build the demand has quadruple.

So, yes we can talk about an ideal world. But we have to be practical.

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Akanksha the way out would be alternative sources of power, renewable sources like Solar and wind power. Nuclear energy has ither problems too apart from possible chernobykls. There is the question of disposal of nuclear waste.

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Nemisis that is a poor analogy. Because air crashes don't cause devastations whose impact on the environment could be felt for decades and decades. But if a nuclear disaster takes place that place and surrounding areas for hundreds of kilometers are blighted almost forever and the impact may have long term consequences in areas even beyond that.

8. Akanksha1982

@Balajee I live in Silicon Valley. Since 2008, a lot of solar companies started. Most of them are closed. Some bigger companies ventured into Solar and have since left it. The issue is that the return on investment is not there even to power a single home. The conversion mechanism is not efficient and the conversion diminishes over time due to dust, birds dropping etc. The generated current is not powerful enough to transmit it to long distance. It also requires acres and acres of land. I have attached the picture of a solar farm in California. If the power demands in India are to be met with solar then a huge portion of the country would be needed to be converted to solar farm. Again, not practical.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  9. Akanksha1982

Well in that case, we should stop china from starting nuclear plants. Any disaster over there may impact parts of India as well.

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Akanksha I am not talking of solar farms n a large scale but small solar energy generation units large enough to power a house, an apartment complex or office clusters. Use of solar energy for cars, buses and even trains. That way we save a massive amount of non-renewable resources...