Improving Memory To Remember Passwords

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rihana, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

How many logins and passwords do you have? Less than 20 or more than 20? Including email accounts, banks, IL, shopping sites, social media, education sites...

Do you have a unique password for every site or a password pool from which you pull one whenever registering new somewhere?

Any tips of tricks to better remember passwords? I am tired of resetting password of sites I log in rarely.

Or, your review of any mechanism or app you have used to store passwords. I am a little wary of storing anything in a 'cloud', but not entirely opposed to the notion.

2. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

For an account on movies site or TV provider, my password would be something related to the service like moviesforus, movies1234@, tvshowsfor4ofus and so on. That way, I can remember better, and my passwords will have letters, numbers and even special characters.
    Similarly for other sites according to the job that gets done on that site.

KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  3. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

How about Lastpass
    Everyone I know is on lastpass these days.

jskls, KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Or Password safe. Have used for nearly a decade. Works on mobile too. I remember only one 16 character master password.

KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  5. Rihana

Password safe or Lastpass kind of apps - don't you worry about what if your cell phone or laptop gets stolen?

6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Don't ask her that, Modji has app recommendations for that too!! :D

Gauri03, KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  7. Rihana

Heh heh. So true. Modji uses technology so well and efficiently, it makes me feel more outdated than even the bachchas can make me feel. : )

But, knowing Gauri uses an app, I am all set to use it too.. asked the question about losing as that is what the nay-sayers and co-owners of passwords will ask. : )

Gauri03 and kaniths like this.
  8. Gauri03

How embarrassingly true! :blush: There really is an app for that!!

Rihana and KashmirFlower like this.
  9. Rihana

: ) What is the app? Please share the name or you can also kindly tell me to google it.

10. Gauri03

LastPass has a fantastic interface and is cloud based. Easy to access and readily available wherever you might need it. It's the most popular password manager out there. Being cloud-based they manage your password database. Bit paranoid about it. One of the reasons I prefer pwsafe.

Password safe is not very slick. The interface takes some getting used to. But it keeps your database on your device, making it safer. It also comes in a disk-on-key version. You can install it on a USB flash drive and carry it everywhere. You just need to plug it into a machine to access. No desktop installations required. There is a mobile version too, which keeps your database on the phone itself.

Coming to safety, the db is encrypted. So simply having the file won't give someone access to your passwords. If you set a strong master password (mine is 16 characters including alphanumeric and special characters), it is very hard to crack, unless you are a determined Russian hacker. : )

Two additional layers of security that I use are, a pin for my phone's lock screen. Multiple wrong attempts will lock access to the phone for certain periods of time, giving you the chance to take care of your data.

The second is the Cerberus app. Frankly I recommend Cerberus whether or not you use a password manager. It is an anti-theft app for android devices. It can allow you to control your phone from the internet or via text messages. It will turn on your webcam, take a picture of the thief and email it to you. : ) It will back up your data to cloud, and it will also allow you to remotely wipe your phone's hard drive. It is a must have. It costs money but is worth its price.

I think if anyone can get past so many obstacles, you couldn't have kept them out anyway. : ) We have a single pwsafe database for the whole family. Has worked flawlessly for a long time.