1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Improve Your Typing Speed Club

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by cheerful, Jan 3, 2010.

1. cheerful

cheerful Bronze IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]I know most of you are really good in typing. I have always wondered the speed at which some people types. Although Indians at my work place were really smart in their programming skills, the Americans amazed me by their typing skills. So one of my wish was to be fast like them.[/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]This post is inspired by Veen's doing/learning new thing s club. Typing is not a new subject. But after I resigned my job, my typing skill has gone down considerably. So to keep me in track I practice at the following site every day couple of times whenever i go online.[/JUSTIFY]

Speedtest - how fast are you?

It tells us our speed as well. Now I am in 35-40 wpm range. If anybody needs the basics they can use the following sites for beginners.

Online free typing lessons for Qwerty -US standard keyboard

Typing Test - Learn2Type.com - learn to type online FREE typing tutor and typing tests, typing certification

If anyone is interested please join & improve your typing speed in 2010.

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Cheerful:
    I used those typing test sites this last year in order to prepare for civil service tests. Right now due to the recession the only positions with decent benefits are with the govt so I have been taking tests as possible. Those sites are really helpful and also they are good to see if you are making too many mistakes. I was topping out at 55wpm.

The tips that I remember from taking typing in high school is that your keep your forefingers rooted to F and J and only move them off there to make the letters in between those positions (keep the position on keyboard with the third finger). The other thing is try to get muscle memory of the positions on the keyboard and try not to look at it but just think of the letter and let your fingers choose the key to push.

3. cheerful

cheerful Bronze IL'ite

tashidelek2002, glad to hear that you have used these sites before and have been helpful to you. You are right about the job market, in India and US govt jobs (checkout the fed job site , USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site) seems to be a better option nowadays. Anywhere typing speed is very important. Good luck & my prayers with all your test preparations.

55 wpm is really good ,keep it up and thank you for your tips.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I just got a job last week...thanks for your good wishes. BTW, I think that state and local governments are easier to enter than the feds. For me I am working for the state.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  5. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Hi Cheerful,
    I used to test my typing speed in the sites mentioned in your post. Now, after few years again tested my typing speed. It is 62 wpm. Thanks for posting!

6. cheerful

cheerful Bronze IL'ite

tashidelek2002, congratulations. My best wishes for a bright future and very happy & prosperous new year.

Sindhuja, wow! 62 is really great. I am just going to try hard. I am glad that you could test it again and thank you for your reply.

7. star83

star83 Senior IL'ite

Hi Cheerful,

Thanks for providing me such a wonderful sites

Sugi

8. lakshmit

lakshmit Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,
    Today for the first time i tried and it was 30 wpm. I'm going to try even harder to reach what u said- 62 wpm

lakshmi.

9. revathib

revathib Bronze IL'ite

hi,

Thanks for providing this website, i tried it is 45wpm...

revathib

10. ramshree

ramshree New IL'ite

Hi cheerful
    The sites for typing test are really good.these rest are helping my kids to improve their speed.:wow