1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Importance of General Warm up and Stretching

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by cheers_sunray, Jul 1, 2008.

1. cheers_sunray

cheers_sunray Senior IL'ite

Hi ,
    I'm a Physiotherapist and I'm very much interested in this forum.I'm here you to help u all in providing proper exercise plans .All of you are free to express your views and if you need any help from me I'm here to do as much as I can..........
    First let me start with the informative article on warm up and stretching before any exercise program.I hav noticed that many ILs who are on weight loss program aren't doing any warm up, stretching before exercise and cool down after exercise.So its for them.Daily I'll be posting various informative article on stretching and hope this ll help u all.I also assure u that I shall give various methods of stretches.
    bonkI think all of u are feeling like this.So I'm ending my intro to this thread.
    Take care,
    Happy Exercising,
    Bye

2. cheers_sunray

"IMPORTANCE of WARM-UP AND STRETCHING"
    By Ahmad Tousi, FIFA Licensed Coach

Warm-up is one of the most important elements of an exercise program. It is particularly important to prevent injury:
    Warm-up is low level activity, such as a brisk walk or a slow jog, which should be completed prior to stretching and more strenuous exercise. The objective of the warm-up is to raise total body temperature and muscle temperature to prepare the entire body for vigorous activity. The warm-up period prepares the cardiovascular system, respiratory system, nervous system and the musculoskeletal system by gradually increasing the demand on those systems so that they are able to accommodate the demands of more strenuous activity.

Passive Warm-up:
    The main goal of passive warm-up is to increase body temperature, either total body temperature or local body temperature, without physical activity. In passive warm-up the body temperature is usually increased by some external means, such as wearing heavy apparel, like a sweatshirt, and/or a massage with a topical exercise rub, such as Ben-Gay. One of the advantages of using a passive means of warm-up is that energy is not expended in the warm-up activity. However, for best results it's recommended that passive warm-up be used in combination with active warm-up.

Active warm-up:
    Is composed of two types: general and sports specific warm-up. The general or non-specific warm-up utilizes low intensity movements such as walking or slow jogging general warm-up, involving low level activity, is usually more effective than passive warm-up in increasing deep muscle temperature. Specific warm-up exercises actually involve the body parts that will be used in the subsequent competitive event. An example would be swinging a tennis racket in a practice stroke.
    The advantage of the specific warm-up is that the temperature is more effectively increased in the specific body parts that are to be used.

THE PURPOSE OF WARM-UP: PREVENT INJURY - ENHANCE PERFORMANCE
    Experts agree that the main purpose of warm-up is to increase the blood circulation in order to raise both the general body and the deep muscle temperatures, which in turn help to heat up the muscles, ligaments and tendons in preparation for more vigorous activity.
    A proper warm-up provide many benefits due to elevated temperatures associated with it. The likelihood of injury is reduced. Athletic performance can be improved. The warm-up increases muscle efficiency, reduces potential for muscle pulls, improves reaction time and improves the speed of movement of muscled and ligaments.
    Proper warm-up can also help reduce the severity of post-exercise muscle soreness. The higher temperatures and increased blood flow resulting from warm-up are important for delivery of oxygen to the muscles and for prevention of build-up of unwanted waste products which can lead to muscle soreness.

INTENSITY and DURATION of WARM-UP

It is difficult to recommend specific intensity and duration of warm-up for every person, but most research in this area suggests an increase in body and muscle temperature of approximately one to two degrees Fahrenheit to be adequate. A brisk 5-8 minute walk or a slow jog will generally produce sufficient warm-up to prepare the body for more strenuous exercise.
    The duration and intensity of warm-up should be adjusted according to the environmental temperature and the amount of clothing worn. The higher the environmental temperature and the greater the amount of clothing, the sooner the desired body temperature is attained. It is also important to begin a major activity while still warmed-up. Ideally, the rest period should be more than a few minutes. In any case, no more than fifteen minutes should elapse. When the beneficial effect of warm-up has dissipated, the muscle temperature will have returned to pre-warm-up levels.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WARM-UP and STRETCHING: WARM-UP THEN STRETCH

There is an important difference between warm-up and stretching. Many people stretch and call it warm-up. This is incorrect. It is important to warm-up before stretching. If one stretches the muscles without prior warm-up, the muscles are cold and are more prone to injury, such as muscle tear or strain. Before exercising, begin with a warm-up period to raise the body temperature.
    You want to get the heart pumping and increase blood flow to the muscles before stretching. Slow running in place, a slow aerobic dance, or a walk-jog (all with ball), and the application of an external exercise rub, is an ideal warm-up regimen to help prepare the muscles for stretching.

3. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Awaiting eagerly for your posts.Keep posting.Thanks.

4. cheers_sunray

5. cheers_sunray

Hi Cindhuja,
    Thanks for your prompt reply.That's very encouraging.

6. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

HI cheers,

It is a nice thread. surely I will go through the links. I just saw one link. and from that I understood what is warm up. generally I will just rome here and there for 2 min before and after treadmill. I thinkthat is 'warm up' :hiya

Thanks for starting this. expecting more from you.

[​IMG]

for you yaar.

7. anupamakalyan

anupamakalyan Senior IL'ite

Hi

Thanks for the useful info...well anyone who reads this thread shall definitely beneficial....So pls keep up your spirits of posting all you think is useful for us

Cheers!!
    Anu

8. Mubeen

Mubeen Bronze IL'ite

HI cheers.. very nice thread.. keep up your good work!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. aaisha

aaisha New IL'ite

Hi

Thanks for the wonderful information, very useful. Wainting for more informative posts.

Aaisha

10. Senorita

Senorita Silver IL'ite

Hi Cheers, :cool2: great start!

Thanks for sharing the useful info, Wish you good Luck!

[​IMG]