1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Importance for marriage certificate

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by HavILostIt, Apr 26, 2010.

1. HavILostIt

HavILostIt New IL'ite

I live in a city in India. I got married a year back as per Hindu customs, but my husband hasn't got a marriage certificate made,yet, for us. I have asked for it several times,He says it's not important. My husband is a very knowledgeable and intelligent person.
    Why is marriage certificate important for Indians? Why do we need it in India? We are not interested in setteling abroad, and have our own photo identity cards like the passport. I am sticking to my old surname and my husband has no issues with it.
    How can I get it made? Could it be that he might be interested in a divorce later and he would want to save himself from paying alimony and getting into other legal complications?
    How can I convince my husband to get it made?

2. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

Well nothing to worry , take your marriage pics and go the marriage register office , they will give you a form fill it and register the marriage .............. its a simple procedure.

3. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

hey isn't witness and all not required???Witness of marriage??

4. SmartandSweet

SmartandSweet New IL'ite

Hi Havlostit,

Don't you need Marriage certificate if your name needs to be added in their family Ration Card ( to be able to use as another form of ID)? It is a must have proof of marriage for anybody. I don't think just by this one act you can conclude that your husband is preparing for a future divorce, it could just be that he is too lazy to hang in a govt office and deal with govt officials just like most hubbys are. Why don't you take the initiative? Go and find the procedure, cost and timeframe and start the process, should be fairly simple considering most of us who needed it immediatly to apply for our visas after our wedding got it in time to fly with DH.
    Good luck.

5. Foundlove

Foundlove Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Don't worry he does not want a divorce..he is probably lazy.

As far as I know in maharashtra...you fill out a form available in most courts...you don't need Witness because you are registering a marriage and not getting into one.

this form just asks for girls parents names etc and guys name and priets signature...thats it...after that it can be sent to court to get registered.

Usually if you hire a lawyer this job gets done in Rs 500 I think...with inflation..prices might have changed.

take care.
    FL

6. SupSam

SupSam Senior IL'ite

hey .... I dont know of Maharashtra but these days even we are filing for marriage registeration after 4 yrs of being married. I think you must have it as these days govt keeps changing rules now and then. In some schools in NCR/Delhi, marr cert of parents is being asked for along with other docs for child's admission procedure. We both thot that before the time some new rule comes up and we get into any urgency, we better get all docs made. As per delhi govt following is mainly needed-
    1. marriage card
    2. marriage photo
    3.1 witness out of blood relation and he should be having a PAN card of his
    4.ID proof like voters card or ration card (not accepting license etc)
    5.passport size photos
    6.affidavit
    7.name proof
    8.date of birth proof
    9.residence proof
    10.affidavit if you wish to get your surname changed

I think you better check the internet for the marriage registeration with Maharashtra govt... you'll surely find all details and form can be filled online too. ALl above docs need to be attested by gazetted officer.

I hope this helps some bit.
    All the best,
    Dr.Supriya.

7. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

this august we will complete 2 yrs of married life till date we dont have a marriage certificate i dont think its a must atleast here

8. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Dr. supriya has given complete list of documents that is needed :thumbsup.. you also need Rs500 else you'll have to wait from morn to eve & see all those who paid 500 getting processed ahead of you.

Its required if you're working and have a PAN under different name & still want to continue & shall require a new PAN or transfer old PAN to new name.

Your DH is simply scared of govt officials and their lazy ways of working and those 500+ + needed. take initiative and keep everything ready, take him to registrar office when needed to sign.
    Marriage certi has lesser impacts on divorce as against shown in soap operas where the guy swaps complete marriage album or lead actress burns her face & is replaced for a higher offer elsewhere :crazy.....

9. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Lavii

I thought a law recently stated that it is mandatory and required by law for all marriages to be registered.

Are you sure it is not required? Please check on that and in any case, if you can, I would suggest you to get it registered.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite