Immune boosting foods for toddler

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by minnu2006, Oct 16, 2007.

1. minnu2006

minnu2006 New IL'ite

Hi ,

I have a 1.5 year old child who is frequently getting cold, cough and fevers. She eats well but is ont he thinner side. Please suggest some immune boosting foods that will help her fight her small illnesses. Also, anything to get her to gain a little weight

2. spandhana

spandhana Bronze IL'ite

Include plenty of the foods listed here to boost your baby’s intake of these important nutrients – they’re healthy, colourful and full of the flavours babies love!
    Broccoli

Full of immune-boosting vitamin C and folic acid, broccoli is great first finger food – if introduced early, children love its ‘tree’ shape. Serve raw in a salad, in a stir-fry, or steamed to preserve its nutrients.

Mango

Babies and toddlers adore the natural sweetness of mangoes. Rich in vitamin C and betacarotene, they’re delicious eaten raw as finger food, or whizz half a mango with a banana for a smoothie pudding.
    [​IMG] It's great to introduce your baby to a varied diet from an early age

Carrot

Carrots look appealing and contain betacarotene. Serve lightly cooked as finger food; with a main dish, or in a pasta sauce with courgette, onion, garlic, beans and sugar- and salt-free canned tomatoes, cooked and blended.
    Salmon

Salmon and other oily fish are required for brain development. Make into fish fingers or cakes, or mix with other fish in a fish pie.
    Yogurt

Live, natural yogurt is an excellent source of calcium and is free from any added sugar, artificial colours, sweeteners and additives found in the ready-flavoured varieties. Add puréed fruit to make your own fruit yogurt.

Butternut squash

Very popular with this age group thanks to its sweet, buttery taste, butternut squash is a good source of antioxidant betacarotene and vitamin E. Serve as a purée, as finger food, baked in the oven or added to casseroles and soups.

Blueberry

Blueberries are high in a phytonutrient called anthocyanin, which is believed to serve as a potent antioxidant; they also contain vitamin C. Because they’re pip-free children love them raw, or added to pancakes and cooked puddings.
    Kiwi fruit

A good source of vitamin C, kiwi fruit make a colourful addition to a fruit salad, can be eaten with a spoon for a snack, or blended with banana for a smoothie.

3. balamotwani

balamotwani Bronze IL'ite

Minnu,

To put on weight you can give pastries, add pure ghee to all food, thick full cream milk, full cream curd, potato, banana.

Folic acid is there in Kellogs - there are choclate rings, choclate pillow kellogs - all this i am sure kid will like it. Apple juice and other fruit juice. If the kid doesnt eat fruits directly, you can give as juice or puree by steaming and grind it in mixie. Tomato - carrot juice is good.

For diarohea - ABC - Apple, Banana , Cereal is good. Give lot of fluids, you get oral rehydrate packets. Make sure they drink lot of water.

4. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hai friend

I consulted my doctor and got this tips

Pulses,all kinds of fruits, green leafy veg...........in REGULAR BASIS

latamurali

5. achu

achu Bronze IL'ite

dear minnu ,
    " dont worry if u're daughter is thin -- if she eats wells ;is healthy n active.", this was told 2 me by my paediatrician as my daughter[2yrs] is also thin. i give her homeopathic medicines ,incase of frequent cold n cough.
    And regarding food - do give her milk n milk products - being in india , u'l get good home - made butter & ghee n curds - ur daughter wil surely love 'm .do give her veggies like boiled potato [surely not the fried ones] , carrot - i give these in the form of 'poriyal' with less oil n no spices..[just mash these a bit..] ; do include daal ;green leafy veg., ;n fruits -try 2 avoid banana,grapes -as she frequently gets cold attacks.
    do give her a cup of ragi,daily. let me explain the prepn for infants......soak 2tsp of ragi seeds in water for 2hrs. Grind it n extract the juice alone -strain well ! add a cup of water , jaggery 2 taste cook in low fire -until the raw smell of ragi goes. it may tk around 15 -20 min.. u can make this ,thinner by adding more water. finaly add 1/4 th cup of milk,cook for another 5min. cool it ! the thicker one when cooled -appears like a soft jelly.
    this porridge /energy drink .......has been given to kids since generations, in our region.
    To tell u some thing about ragi - its called as poorman's cereal ; with high source of calcium & iron. it can be given 2 infants - when they start solid foods;
    & can be consumed by all age groups too...variety of ragi-dishes include dosa ;puttu; ragi balls etc.
    its best for diabetes and arthritis.
    kk minnu.....do try it....n lemme kno:wave

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  6. healthonmove

healthonmove Gold IL'ite

A nutritious diet helps to protect your body from billions of disease causing germs by strengthening your immune system.