1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Immigration problem @ SFO airport

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by rashy, Apr 2, 2009.

1. rashy

rashy New IL'ite

Hi,

We are on H1/H4 visa and planning to visit India in May. I came to know that people returning from India to US are facing immigration problem at SFO airport...like they are giving I-94 only for few days and asking them to return back to india.

I don't know how much it is true. Can anyone tell me if you or anyone you know faced such problems? I am very scared to go India now :-(

2. Gitunandakumar

Gitunandakumar Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

This is true. My husband use to tell me that some of his collegues has been sent Back. Not only in SFO all other places too. Make sure of it and travel your trip.

3. vids

vids Senior IL'ite

Yep, not only in SFO airport but in all airports. Luckily dH and I got back (8-Mar) without any difficulties (Chicago).
    Dh's company gave him a detailed letter saying that he is on vacation from "Start date" to "Vacation end date" and has got to report back in office on "reporting date" in the statement of work. (Usually they give only a employment letter saying he/she is still working with us) The immi guys didn't ask for it anyways. But then again, it all depends on luck I think!!

My hubby's friend canceled his India trip last week because in his office a couple of Indians were asked to go back it seems (they gave I-94 valid for one week) And those guys were employees (not even contractors) !!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  4. amallela

amallela New IL'ite

I heard two stories. One from my close friend whose POE was DC and that guy said all sorts of things to her, like why do you come to US, to work in gas station, I know all your certifcates are fake, all forged. You work in a nearby mall I know that, then this one.. why can't we Americans do your job, why do you think only you can do the job etc..etc..etc..and too many other things.

And somebody's wife went to India with two kids and on return at DC, they were made to stand 6 hours in line, can you believe this, with two kids and that too after 24 hour journey. Then to stamp another 25 mins. Poor girl, I don't know how she managed. We all live legally here and these guys are creating a hell lot of problems for us. We have proof of our payrolls and all to show them, the way they are behaving is not right.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  5. rashy

rashy New IL'ite

Thanks guys...for the information. We'll definatley think twice before planning a vacation to India.

6. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Hi

I have travelled multiple times on H4, H1-B and advance parole and never had a problem at SFO. As long as you have all the papers, it should be fine. Given the recession there may be stricter checks on job status so just carry papers showing valid employment, most recent paystubs and also contact info of your HR rep so they can call and verify if they need.

7. kika

kika Silver IL'ite

I also heard similar problems at port of entry - chicago. But it is not a direct source, somebody watched it happen at port of entry.

They were asked to go back to India , the guy was on H1B. He said his office needs him. But the officer said, we will tell them, they will find somebody else.

I think H4's or visitors are not having problem entering. Beleive it is only for work visa's.

Think twice before you plan on vacation.

8. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Mythraeyi,

Please do not bring up old experiences here . This is some thing which has been happening for the past couple of months (might be due to recession/jobcuts).May be you might not have heard anything like this. Good for you.

Even i heard this from a friend in h1.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  9. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

My husband just came back through sfo a month ago on advanced parole and had no issues at all.

10. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Hi!

Before u give some more people sleepless nights over this...please go through this link....... and each one of u come to ur conclusions.......I came to mine!

Problems at Port of Entry

It will be appreciated if a bit of research is done before leading a few astray with wild rumours!