I'm pregnant!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sanravi_1970, Sep 26, 2007.

1. september

september Bronze IL'ite

Re: best position to sit while pregnant

added information

Posture Basics

Your loosened ligaments, added weight and new proportions can lead to back discomfort, hard to break bad posture habits and even injury. Some basics to bear in mind so that you are less injury prone and stand to enjoy better health:

When standing - tuck in your chin, lift your shoulders and tuck in your stomach and buttocks. Don't forget to distribute your weight evenly on both legs.

When getting out of bed - rise slowly to avoid the dizzy feeling. While still lying flat, roll unto your side and use your arms to push yourself up to a sitting position. Swing your legs over to the side of the bed and plant your feet on the ground. Use your arms to push your body up to a standing position. Avoid jerky, sudden movements.

When lifting - if you have to lift anything heavy always bend at the knees and not the hips; keep your back straight and lift by straightening your legs. When you pick something up do so with both hands and use your arm muscles and keep the object close to your body. By straightening your leg, you will use your leg and thigh muscles to do the actual work of lifting. Avoid lifting heavy things from shelves. When carrying heavy bags divide the weight equally between both your hands. Later on it will become difficult to hold objects close with a protruding belly - get help if you are unsure of any possible strains and pains.

When carrying your toddler - avoid carrying your older child on your hip to avoid the possible back strain. Try having her stand on higher grounds like a stool or chair so you don't have to bend so far down. The other way is to hold her close and bend at the knees.

When bending down - for chores at home or in your backyard or when you need to work at floor level, sit or kneel down so it is in easy reach. Don't let your legs go numb though.

2. september

september Bronze IL'ite

The best way to stand

Keep your feet slightly apart and legs straight with hands by your side or behind you (helps you to roll your shoulders back and open your upper chest for easy breathing).

The best way to sit

Keep your table at the correct height so you don't have to slump forward. Your feet should be on the ground a little apart or on a footstool whichever suitable; knees should be lower than your hips. Wedging a cushion on your chair will be helpful as it will push your spine into the right position. Avoid sinking into your pelvis. Keep your spine straight and chest open to aid in breathing and working in comfort.

The best way to walk

With your spine and head erect, look straight ahead. Wear low heeled, comfortable footwear. Carry your bag across your body or carry bags so weight is balanced in both hands. Roll your shoulders back without bending your spine backwards.

The best way to relax

Use the back of the sofa or a couple of cushions to support your spine, neck and head - they should remain in a line and you should not be slumping. Keep your feet up to increase your comfort. Make sure your shoulders are not rounded to allow deep breathing.

Posture Extras

• Sit in a hard, straight-backed chair.

• Under no circumstances you would want to cross your legs - this causes poor circulation and promotes varicose veins.

• Do foot exercises when sitting.

• In an office environment get up and walk around for a few minutes once every half hour.

• In a car get sufficient leg room to prevent legs from bending.

• Small pillows or cushions add support - use them whenever in car rides, at work etc

• When shifting from standing to sitting let your thighs do most of the work. To stand from sitting, once again make the most use of your leg muscles.

• Do not strain to lift anything heavy; all women are built differently but anything over 35 pounds is too heavy - you can do serious damage to your back and abdominal muscles

• Throwing your shoulder back too far strains your lower back.

• Tucking your buttocks in gives your pelvis the correct tilt and shifts your weight so that your center of gravity is directly over your hips.

• Do not lock your knees; instead stand with your feet apart. Make sure your weight rests on your feet and not just your heels.

• If you must stand for long, make sure you stand upright with one foot resting on a low stool for some time and then switch. Studies show that women who stand for prolonged periods are more likely to deliver smaller babies.

• Your abdominal and back muscles are resting and need warming up so that is why the extra caution when getting off the bed.

The Best position during sleep

• Side-lying positions with lots of pillows for additional support and comfort are ideal.

• It is best to lie on your left side instead of the right whenever possible so that baby receives its nutrients uninterrupted.

1. Cross one leg over the other with a pillow in between is best for both mother and baby. This position not only optimizes blood flow to the placenta but also ensures smooth functioning of the kidneys.

2. Efficient kidney function means better elimination of fluids and this in turn reduces the chances of odema (swelling of the ankles, feet, hands)

3. Occasionally you may revert to sleeping on your back or tummy because you are just not used to your new position. No harm done here. Both positions bring no harm to the fetus; the fetus is well cushioned to suffer from any pressure on the maternal body

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  3. september

september Bronze IL'ite

thankyou shilpa for starting this thread ...
    as now i too have found out the right postures during various activities
    and how i have been neglecting all these ...l.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  4. Ums

Ums Senior IL'ite

Re: Is smear test safe during pregnancey?

Thanks September!! Hoping to get more inputs!!

5. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Re: worried - shifting apartment during pregnancy - okay ??

Savanna's,

From ur post I understand that u havent started TTC yet.To be frank its not necessary that everyone conceives at the first try or at the specific time.So do not delay the plans as you never know when you will strike the target :).
    Suppose you are pregnant ,simplly do not get involved in any of the strenous activities.Before all this take the Folic acid tablets while TTC.

6. shrutidunwoody

shrutidunwoody Bronze IL'ite

I would just say just believe in God and go with the move.As cute kid said pregnancy you cant predict so better not to start late. After you move you can do a pooja at your place . And if if you are pregnant by then , just dont lift heavy things , as is the movers will move everything and some miscelleneous things your dh can manage. You can help him by doing light things but dont strain yourself too much.

7. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

I know of alot of people who have moved even in last trimester - dont worry.. You just dont carry the heavy boxes and you will be fine..
    If need be I may be moving to a bigger place in 7th month myself.

Us indian women stress too much..

8. riva

riva New IL'ite

Hi, I'm also in a similar boat. I'm 8 weeks pregnant and I need to travel coast-to-coast in US in about 2 weeks time. And, my husband work site might shift and we might have to relocate to the other location. He will get to know in 2 weeks time. All this confusion around the most important time of our lives is unsettling :-(. So, I just want to vent out here and also seek your suggestions:
    1. Is it safe to travel coast-to-coast when I'm 10 weeks pregnant?
    2. I've 2 OB-GYN contact in both location as I'm not sure who I'll be consulting with long-term as our location is not known. Is it ok to switch OB-GYN until say 2nd trimester and then settle on one (we'll know by then)?
    3. This is about what option I should choose - should I travel with my husband to the new location or stay put in my old/familiar location alone (I don't think this is good idea). If none looks good, we are also thinking of moving back to India during my second trimester.
    Please let me know your views. And, I'm glad I found a place to express my fears. Thanks.

9. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

1. Is it safe to travel coast-to-coast when I'm 10 weeks pregnant?
    Preferably wait till 12 weeks.Its a imp milestone.How long is the travelling time?
    2. I've 2 OB-GYN contact in both location as I'm not who I'll be consulting with long-term as our location is not known. Is it ok to switch OB-GYN until say 2nd trimester and then settle on one (we'll know by then)?
    If the gynae is good then no harm in changing the gyane at the end.I am going to see a new gynae after 32 weeks once I move o my mother's place.
    3. This is about what option I should choose - should I travel with my husband to the new location or stay put in my old/familiar location alone (I don't think this is good idea). If none looks good, we are also thinking of moving back to India during my second trimester.
    Its always good to have someone around you specially during your first pregnancy.I am going to travel at 32 weeks for 4 hrs.Second trimester is the best time to travel & mre over you are settled in your pregnancy & more energetic.
    All the best

10. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

Re: What is mother's instinct telling you ?

wow cutekid so you know the gender of the baby ha?
    great to know your instincts came true :thumbsup