1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

ILs visit nearing its Finale

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by coolNash, Dec 9, 2013.

1. coolNash

coolNash Junior IL'ite

In laws have been here with us for the last 6months and there is less than 20 days to go ...There indeed was lot of drama, tension, anxiety attacks (for me) and all that jazz - thanks to Indusladies - i m 'less' affected by it this time compared to their last visit(which was the first time - 3 months into marriage) ...

As usual Dh was least supportive, only saw their side and pointing fingers at me but that was something i was prepared for and so didnt come to me as a shock ...There used to be many a times when I was singled out and they were just happy with the 3 of them and my daughter..

Pbm is I am SO mad at him for not taking my side at various instances that I cant seem to forgive him even though I am acting as if its not affecting me ..
    What should I do? I think i have lost all the love/trust or anything i had for him due to his insensitive behavior...

2. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Hugs! Please wait until your ILs leave. Once they leave, please tell him what you feel. Speak to him. I believe this piled up anger is making you lose yourself. You need an emotional outlet. Just speak to him. Things would fall in place. Good luck.

3. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

HOLD ON UNTIL INLAWS LEAVE.

If you fight with dh when they are there

1. It becomes a ego issue for dh
    2. Inlaws will jump in, make it bigger and support dh
    3. It's a win win situation for inlaws
    4. They will taunt you for the rest of your life about what you say in anger or still worse constantly remind dh of it

The minute their flight takes off, start silent treatment for dh.

2 people like this.
  4. coolNash

coolNash Junior IL'ite

Thanks Malini n tulipzz for a quick response. I agree even I am just waiting 'oh so patiently' for them to leave to deal with DH ...

What i hate abt him is he feels he can bring everything back to normal after they leave ..pbm is i can never forget things/issues that hurt me.I have lost all the trust i had on him and wonder if i can ever get it back ...

tulipzz - I have read a LOT of your posts and trust me my story is very similar to urs (w.r.t equation with DH and ILs). Only difference is I have to constantly see ILs (even though we stay far away) coz DH happens to be the only child and irrespective of how much my MIL HATES me she wants to visit often to be with her son (and make sure he doesn't surrender to his wife)

5. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Thanks to this forum, I kind of learnt to deal with it.

I know how irritating it is, but see the brighter side. You don't have to live with them, so it's just their LONG visit. After that your life is back in your hands...

dont let their attitude impact ur marriage. Don't let dh walk over you too. You need to strike a fine balance. Give dh silent treatment for a few days, then when he starts to ask you what happened, tell him in a calm but firm tone, then continue silent treatment for a few more days. Then slowly become normal. That's it. He will get the point without havng battles at home. Don't let inlaws nonsense have a long term impact on your happiness.

Once in a month or two, give a few hours of silent treatment reminding him of his behavior when parents visited..... You should see a change next time.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Studies by insurance companies have shown that most accidents (almost 1 in 3) happen within a mile of home. Your (in-laws free) home is less than a mile away, be patient and don't drive rashly.

After they are gone back, all the laundry done, all rooms back to normal, kitchen back to normal, bathrooms purified, make a list of the times your husband didn't take your side or didn't support you and you think he should have. Grade those and pick the four strongest ones where it is obvious your husband was guilty of dereliction of spousal duty.

At a time when both of you are peaceful, not hungry, DD asleep, tell him something's been bothering you and you want him to listen to you without interrupting. Then, briefly describe the four incidents, and how you felt. Keep the description brief, free of tears, nagging, whining, blaming. State what happened. Do not criticize in-laws. Keep it matter of fact. In your description, give him a way out, a possible (even if lame) reason for not supporting you - Say, "maybe you had some reason for taking their side or not supporting me, but if you had supported me, it would have meant a lot to me."

After that, change the topic or move away to do something.

5 people like this.
  7. prettydevil

prettydevil Platinum IL'ite

Tulipz... I completely agree with your above four points, but I need to throw some more points on the below one... (or may be vent)

OP... I would not you to give any silent treatment, irrespective (I haven't read ur previous posts) ...
    But I understand what you feel and what u r going thru.. been there... n seen all

I too once upon a time, did the same mistake of silent treatment, after my IL's left, as like you even I was very pissed of with DH, IL's and whatever...

The result of that was, my in-laws used this as a plus point. whatever part of DH's brain was left, they captured it too. I wont go into the details of that. But the point is, slowly my DH started drifting away from me and came under their complete influence. And I am sure you know what it means.

I would say, no matter, how horrified their stay was, you don't spoil your relationship with your DH. I know its hard and disgusting, but you got to see it from a long run perspective.

After they leave, its only going to be you, DH and your kido. Just enjoy and live happily without any grudges, why unnecessarily ruin your own peace.

1 person likes this.
  8. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Very well articulated and I agree fully with this. You should have a one to one talk with him after your in laws leave and when you and him are in a good mood. Apart from making a list of instance where he didn't support you, make also a list where he did support you (not necessarily during your in laws visit) and let him know, how much his support means to you and how much it helps to strengthen your relationship with him.

Do not criticize your in laws, that is not the main issue here. Hold your husband responsible for his own behavior of not supporting you. If you criticize your in laws, then your husband will make it an issue between you and them or make him side again with his parents as a matter of ego, regardless of it being right or wrong.

There are deeper issues between you and your husband. Your in laws will come and go but you have a long life ahead with your husband. Also let him know that because of this behavior from him, you are not able to establish a closer relationship with your in laws. Let him know, that if he supports you, it will give you incentive to wash away the negativity building in your mind because of getting cornered from all sides and not finding respite even in him.

The last line of above post is also very important, give him time to think about his behavior and leave it at that. The point here is not to make him agree with you but to make him retrospect and decide for himself. No point in again getting into long drawn arguments and fights on this. There is no point in disturbing your own peace, when things are about to return to normal.

1 person likes this.
  9. coolNash

coolNash Junior IL'ite

Thanks for the tip Rihanna ..I have done this in the past and I know how that discussion will go ..He will hear it from one ear and let it out from the other ...Discussing issues with him to reach on a conclusion is a total waste of time and enrgy from my past experience.,..he cant and wont do anything abt it ..just gives me the same old dialogue 'oh this happens at every household - stop acting like you are the only one going thru' and even worse - will start putting accusations on me ..

For that very reason I dont even want to take any matter to discuss with him ,.and i understand there is no solution w/o discussing - which is why i am in a pickle -arghhh -i hate it! :(

10. coolNash

coolNash Junior IL'ite

Yes, I agree I shouldnt let ILs pbm affect my relationship with DH - but i wonder if there is anything left between me n DH - he obv is upset with me for not being this 'adarsh bahu' to his parents (although i dont understand why i m the only one being blamed) and I am upset with him for not seeing my p.o.v...my ego just stops me from letting it go - i want him to go thru atleast 10% of what i went through (evil me!)