1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Illusions. Real Or Virtual?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jan 2, 2018.

1. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

If a person is able to hide in real world then what will stop them to do the same in virtual world. We find here everyone so nice. And its also true that even a bad person has its good side as the person is not bad his karmas are.

satchitananda likes this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Geetha! Yes, we are getting more isolated from the real world people. Are people in real life getting harder to interact with or is our endurance along with our communication skills going down? The virtual world seems to be a getaway from the unpleasantness of real life. As far as hiding our true selves is concerned, it could work both ways. Some of us feel more comfortable being our real selves in the virtual world with strangers than with people around with us who may be out to judge us all the time, or there could be people hiding their true identities in order to troll others.

I love the freedom one has to ignore or block out trolls in the virtual world.

GeetaKashyap and MonikaSG like this.
  3. satchitananda

Very often people feel emboldened as Geetha says because they parade around under false identities in the virtual world. So they find it easier to let down their masks.

As for this particular site, yes, most of the people are very nice (as I have found out after meeting them in real life. None of them so far is different from what I experienced them online. Of course, we do have our trolls, but it is not difficult to spot them.)

I agree. It is not the person who is bad, but their actions and attitudes. The same individuals could have good and bad in them - no one is perfect. We all have our shades of grey. Sometimes we can get on with people even if they are different from us. We can put up with some small irritations. It is when we are faced with a lot of negativity constantly that it becomes essential to be able to cut such people off. We do not have to add more negative karma to our own accounts.

kkrish, GeetaKashyap and MonikaSG like this.
  4. teenulahari

teenulahari Gold IL'ite

Dear Satchi Mam,

One year back I did a small research project on “Impact of Technology on Interpersonal Communication”, through the research I found that excessive use of technology leads to decrease in face to face conversations, decrease in quality of conversations resulting in bad relationships. I also observed that excessive dependence on technology reduces people’s communicative and creative skills. People who are obsessed with technology are unable to form social relationships. This obsession also leads to social isolation, depression and other health problems. So, what I feel is technology is not everything. We can’t replace our near and dear with technology as this would result in many bad consequences. So, Spending more time with family and friends gives greater relaxation, positive energy and better relationships.

Love
    Teenu

5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sats
    A Happy New Year to you!

This is too thoughtful a post which demands an equally thoughtful response.
    That means I have to put my brain to work, to think!!!:BangHead:

Unfair to my brain, Sats, especially at the dawn of a New Year. It's going to take some time to wake it from its delicious slumber and to get it to do the job it despises, which is, to think.

Will be back, soon.

6. satchitananda

That is interesting. Technology affecting the quality of unter-Personal relationships when they happen! That certainly is good for thought.

teenulahari likes this.
  7. satchitananda

8. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

I am personally feeling this these days. Becoming so addicted to the site that whenever I get a little break I just login to see the alerts and new updates that earlier I used to do other important works. Need to take a break now.

teenulahari and satchitananda like this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There is a saying: "We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak."

Along came computers and the internet, and now: "We have two eyes and ten fingers ..."

Ghor kalyug. : )

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

No wonder Web and Mobile platforms attracts us like a magnate. It works like a real web when we are in, we don't see the beginning and the end. Nowadays, our moves are planned to be around WiFi. Most cities are now providing WiFI for free for the citizens and I am not sure how secure such WiFI networks are.

But, we can't eliminate the positive side of web/mobile. Everything and anything we are able to look up to learn instantaneously. My son conducts his entire research by looking up through web rather than visiting a library. When my wife was India last year, I have cooked so many variety of lunches and dinners every day and night thanks to the recipes available online including in IL.

I was attending a wedding in Michigan last week and one gentlemen invited me for Satsung in heavily-snowing weather. But I took courage to visit his residence. Not only I had a wonderful Satsung but also great dinner prepared personally by him. When I asked him how he prepares such delicious dinner in a short time, he explained, "I am a scientist and hence everything is driven by methods and processes". I have calculation of what should be the composition of ingredients and how much heat transfer has to take place to get consistency in my preparation by researching everything through web". I told him, "I don't want to tell you that you have mastered the art of cooking but I would say you have mastered the science of cooking".

When we were about to leave, he asked me, "It looks like you are very focused on Advaita Philosophy and have you read Brahma Sutra?" My response was negative. He told me a website that I can access to get unlimited amount of knowledge about Upanishads, Brahma Sutra and Gita (Prasthana Treya). He is from Kerala and I asked him whether the audio discourses are in Malayalam. He said since he lived in the border of Tamilnadu, he knew Tamil from very early life and hence he enjoyed the entire set of discourses for years listening them in Tamil. The site is www.poornalayam.org. I just began going through each discourse in everyone of my walking schedule. I have to walk one hour and these discourses are also for an hour. What a way to get healthy and knowledgeable at the same time.

Viswa