1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

ILaws biased towards co-sister and younger bil

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by saathi, Aug 9, 2010.

1. saathi

saathi New IL'ite

Hi,
    my situation is somewhat similar to rsarara but with a twist.
    my ilaws are biased towards my BIL and co-sister.

they always help out monetarily as well as emotionally when my BIL and co-sister needs help. they also feel that since my co-sister has a son and i have two daughters that, she is better!!!

They even have this behaviour towards my DH. He is very hurt by all this but keeps his mouth shut. My MIL will cook, clean, play with her kids but when she comes to my house, she does nothing other than watching tv and critising.

They dont even call my parents to wish them or say hello. On the other hand, she remembers my co-sister's counsin's daughter's birthday!!!!

All these things are driving me crazy. My DH has been supportive and understanding in this issue. He tells me to not go to their house as often and not to expect anything. Deep down though, I still feel sad. How can I get rid of this feeling? The other thing is, I cannot just disregard them completely either coz we live in the same town and I have to visit them atleast once a month.. Please help

2. sita2223

sita2223 Bronze IL'ite

Saathi,

Being in a similar situation myself, I can tell you that though it is sad, some parents differentiate between their own children. In my case, my ILs will go to any extent to please their daughter, even if it means breaking their relationship with their own son.

Yes, this hurts and they will drive you crazy. But DONT show your displeasure. Sometimes such parents will over-do it, if they realize you are getting affected by their differentiating attitude. So, don't give undue importance to their silly tactics like taking care of one son while ignoring other.

If you want to make your ILs understand what they are missing, then instead of brooding over their behavior towards you... just go ahead and mingle with people who do care about you and your DH (like your parents, relatives from either side, friends, neighbors etc). If they see your DH getting close to your parents, they might realize what they are missing.

Saathi, count your blessings. Not every woman is blessed with an understanding and supportive husband. So treasure that and good luck!