1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

IL Book Club : August 2010 : Tell me you dreams (Sidney Sheldon)

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Gayathri47, Aug 3, 2010.

1. ani123

ani123 Senior IL'ite

Hi All:

Nice to see so many replies :) I too loved reading this book esp the last part.
    It was a wonderful twist where Ashley after whole treatment sings that song.
    I believed she is 100% cured and going to start a new life or may be marry doc itself (like Indian Cinema) but that was a shock.
    I too liked Toni minus murders, very strong,confident and adamant.It was heart broken what Ashley has gone thru...how can her own dad do this to her.Very very depressing.Will this kind of stuff really happen?
    What exactly is her relationship with her mum? Is her mum kind of a person who criticises her all the time?

This cleary shows what happens to the people with troubled childhood :(

Its my first SS book ever and experience is too good.
    I might read some more of SS books.

2. gypsy2

gypsy2 Bronze IL'ite

hi all,

this was my first sidney sheldon novel and after reading this i bace a huge fan of him.
    Well i have a story about how it all started.
    I was in my engg staying in a hostel and the next day we had a practical exam.We all had this habit of going around all our class mates romes and keep comparing our progress in reading.I went to my friends room and found 2 of them seriously discussing about a story .I too joined them they told me the brief review.I immediately took the book to my room and instead of reading my classbook started to finish the novel.Another friend of mine heard of this and came to scold me to prepare for the exam but when i told half the story she asked me to complete the bookand tell her the remaining too.By then it was almost 12 at night.I finished telling her the last part when one more friend happened to join us.She also requested me to tell her the story again.
    By now u must have understood i am not a person to tell storied briefly.So by the time i was done with my recital it was 2 and all of us gathered in a room and kept on discussing about childabuse,woman discrimination,psychology.It was like all woman activists were having astrategy meet.Suddenly a mobile started ringing ...another classmate had call to ask a doubt about ????well i never remembered the question but ivery well remember the expression on our faces when we faced the reality of that morning exam.
    We some how finished the practical but i can promise if we asked anyquestionfrom novel we would have got 100%.
    Its been a long time and i cant wait to give my review as soon as u all finish reading

happy reading.,...

3. LuckiestLadkhi

LuckiestLadkhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Gayathri,

I think MPD exist... I have read abt it as 1 person had 90 personalities. Sometimes doctors managed to cure the patient but sometimes they dont. They have new personalities when they reach higher level of mentality an they become a person which has nothing to do with them. It's a very interesting book. I have pasted some sites that you can read abt MPD.

Multiple Personality Disorder / Dissociative Identity Disorder
    Dissociative identity disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Luv,
    Suzanne

4. maddie

maddie Silver IL'ite

A Great Book Read.

I have always been a great fan of Sidney Sheldon. I have read almost every one of his books. My favourite books are “Tell me your dreams”,“If tomorrow comes” and “The other side of midnight”. I have read most of his books more than once. His books are always filled with suspense and thrill sometimes revolving around murder mysteries and sometimes descriptive and detailed information’s of certain professions or occupations.Sidney Sheldon always does his homework. He is always well informed with complete research about the surroundings and the topics involving the story lines.

The story of ” Tell me your dreams” revolves around three gorgeous women and one dangerous secret.Ashley Patterson, elegant yet haunted is a graphic designer. Toni, passionate as well as vivacious is a wild person, very aggressive and capable of committing a murder. Alette, a young Italian woman, lovely and totally without conceit is an artist. These beautiful young women are suspected of committing a series of horrifying murders. And when the police get hold of the most horrifying evidence; they found Ashley’s finger prints on all the murder scenes.

This novel is based on real medical cases; you can travel from London to Rome to the city of Quebec to San Francisco. The climax giving you chill and a sense of thrill as well.Halfway through the novel one of the most bizarre murder trials of the century begin to reveal an astonishing piece of medical evidence almost impossible to believe.Have you heard about MPD (Multiple personality disorder)???

Giving away the rest of the story will spoil the climax.

5. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Thanks nitya, suzanne for the information on MPD. It really does sound like a dangerous form of illness! Esp. when people turn into murderers like Ashley:crazy.

Thanks each and everyone for writing the reviews!:thumbsup
    I will just be moving this thread to Book Reviews so that everyone can still continue discussing/pouring inputs while we can also read the book for Sept.

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I probably am the only soul who was not too thrilled with this book. I think the story line was good and the writing was alright but I was disappointed. According to me, it was not up to the normal SS mark.
    I am an SS fan but had not read this book until it came up in the book club and thought of giving it a reading. Unlike other SS books, this one was not gripping enough for me. I almost knew the three women were one and the same and that she was the murder somewhere along the line so the surprise element was not there at all. I've read another book on MPD(can't remember which one) and guessed the story.
    I think If Tomorrow Comes will still remain my favorite among SS.

Laks.

7. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Well, I think the disappointment might have been obvious, because somehow or the other we did know that the 3 people were the same. I think I knew the gist of the book fom an earlier read (long long back), so I dint think about it much (I thought may be it was because I already knew!)

Laks, But I hope you can take some solace from the ultimate suspense as "WHY" is happened? :) Or did you guess that too?!! Atleast he did not drag too much with the story with the 3 women (until it is not "technically revealed" that they all are the same). May be he did know that the readers will guess that the 3 women are the same, so he avoided the over-burden of long descriptions?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010