1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ignorance Or Carelessness?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by maalti, Sep 3, 2021.

1. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Government is striving hard to bring the pandemic under control. Doctors, nurses and all technical staff are burning mid night oil to help patients recover from the grave situation. But some of the incidents which I came across had left me seething with anger.

The first one is this. Myself and my husband were travelling from Chennai to Bangalore by car. After long hours of journey, we stopped at a spot and had our lunch. Then we started our travel again. As only the two of us were there, we removed our masks for some time since we were tired after lunch and the mask made us suffocate a little. We stopped at a signal. From nowhere two policemen appeared and asked to bring the car to the side of the road. They wanted us to pay a fine of Rs.200 as we were not wearing our masks. We showed our mask which was hanging from one of our ears and explained that after lunch we had removed the masks for a brief spell and were about to wear them. We also explained to them that only the two of us were in the car and the windows were closed. But they were insisting on our paying the fine. Finally, we apologized to them and they let us go. Just then, a bus overtook us. The bus was so crowded especially with students and youngsters and nobody was wearing mask. The bus overtook us under the very nose of the policemen. But the bus was not stopped. The policemen just stood there looking for other vehicles and let the bus go. They should have atleast stopped the bus and advised the passengers/students suitably.

The second incident was when I was travelling in an auto. It was raining heavily. The road was full of traffic. We were waiting at a signal. Another auto came by the side of our auto and stopped. The other auto driver was not wearing mask and he spat on the road without any concern. The driver of the auto in which I was travelling advised him to wear the mask and also not to spit on the road. The other man got angry and started shouting at our auto driver in foul language. It also seemed that he was drunk. He shouted “Han! Ivaru perusa nattai kapatha vanthitaru” meaning “oh he is a great man who has come to save the nation”. “Many people who are clean, hygienic and healthy succumb to the disease. You will be affected whether you wear a mask or not, so don’t keep advising and mind your work” he shouted. By the time the signal became green and he started his vehicle and drove past us.

I feel the basic reason for these kinds of behaviours is indiscipline. Discipline should be practiced from childhood. Schools and parents are giving importance only to studies and the main focus is only on gaining more marks, getting admission in good colleges and getting good jobs. But that’s not all. When we are forced to follow a particular disciplined life style that too, only for a short spell, our youngsters are not able to follow. And Government is trying to educate them now.

I wonder whether this is ignorance or carelessness.

There are so many other small incidents which have mentally affected me so much in our day-to-day life (not only topics like this but also other events which will bring a smile to our faces) which I will be bringing out in some more of my snippets in the coming weeks. Till then, bye.

2. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Maalti
    I am in Kerala. The attitude of the people is pathetic. There are crowds everywhere. Masks are worn only on main roads.
    Even in hospitals nurses are not careful. They wear the same gloves throughout the day. If you go to clinical lab, while taking ecg the sheets are not changed between patients.
    The vaccination drive is pathetic. No vaccines are available.
    In all no discipline in anybody.

Regards
    Uma

Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Maalti - I live in Texas. The Governor removed the mask mandate long back. Store owners and others cannot enforce masks. There is a ban on mandating masks in schools. Public School districts in the state couldn’t enforce mask mandates thanks to that. Kids started schools three weeks ago with people choosing if they want to send their kids in masks.

School board meetings were contentious. The height of stupidity is people fighting for the right to choose not to wear a mask or send the kids in a mask. No scientific proof whatsoever in talks about kids lacking oxygen in a mask all day long. There is no contact tracing requirements. No quarantine rules or regulations. They don’t even have to inform the parents. There is no rule about sending a sick kid to school. I’ve heard numerous stories of parents sending symptomatic kids to school saying it’s just allergies, parents who have tested positive sending their kids to school because the kids are asymptomatic and hence they don’t bother to keep kids at home, parents sending maskless kids to school knowing the kids have been exposed to someone who had tested positive and so on and so forth. And there is no virtual option because the state refused to fund it. The only option parents in my district have is either send to school and risk it, withdraw them from public school, keep them home and home school or use the school’s asynchronous virtual option where you again are responsible for all teaching with teachers support available only for assignments. It’s been quite stressful for parents of young kids who can’t get vaccinated.

To top it off, we’ve had a free flow of three types of vaccines for many months now. Even in my group of acquaintances I know quite a few people who haven't had the vaccine yet. The state also has a ban on vaccine mandates even though the vaccine is now FDA approved. Which means employers within the state cannot ask for mandatory vaccinations. It’s crazy how political this whole situation is.

My son is in a private school. They have a mandatory mask policy there. They have mandatory contact tracing. One parent walked into meet the teacher without a mask, refused to wear a mask and threw a fit for being asked to wear one. Every kid was in a mask and all other parents. The administrators let her in. I was so angry. My special needs child wears a mask all day long and she couldn’t cover her mouth and nose for a walk through? It’s a new school for us and I didn’t raise a hoopla about it. Thankfully the kid is not in my sons class and I was happy. Guess what, within a week of school opening, that other class had a positive case. The entire class is quarantined. I won’t be surprised if it was that lady’s son who was found sick. Apparently a kid was symptomatic in school and they had to call the parents and ask to pick the kid up and send the test results back. That’s when the kid tested positive. A whole class - two teachers, multiple aides and ten kids are all not going to be able to attend school for 10 days. People are crazy and getting crazier by the day. I just hope my son stays safe in his class.

I really pity the teachers. I overheard a couple of teachers talking the other day. They are so scared to go back to school. They were telling each other how parents don’t care and will send sick kids like they have always done. Kids recover sooner but they both had preexisting conditions and were so afraid that they would get infected and it would turn deadly.
    ICU beds are in short supply here. We’ve heard so many stories on next door where people are looking for hospitals with beds and still the people are so lackadaisical.
    One of the anti vax lady I know recently told me she got vaccinated. I was surprised. She then tells me her friend almost died from it and was in the icu on a vent. I think unless it hits home, some people won’t learn. I worry for the kids who have no choices in all this. The parents and their crazy theories may put them in harm’s way.

Amica, joylokhi, Rihana and 2 others like this.
  4. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Laks,
    The situation is very bad everywhere. My granddaughter who is 3.5 years old goes to day care. They live in Tampa. There is no mask mandate here. Children are not checked whether they have symptoms. My granddaughter had the RSV virus and was very sick for a month. This they say is infecting most children from the time the mask mandate was removed. She is still not completely alright.
    My daughter who is 9 months pregnant has no option but to send her to day care. But then all the children in the neighborhood go to school.
    Very scary and don't know how long it is going to take for normalcy to return.
    Praying everyday for everyone
    Regards
    Uma

Laks09 likes this.
  5. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Yes Laks, it's true. People are just crazy. My daughter also lives in US and I hear the same from her. God alone has to save us.

Laks09 likes this.
  6. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Not in India only. All over the world, it is the same carelessness. People are flogging the beaches. Shopping malls are almost full. The worse is people are not coming forward to get vaccinated. Some are carrying fake vaccination certificates. Shall we call it carelessness, ignorance, or simply dogmas.

joylokhi likes this.
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Human life is cheap in India with an addition every two seconds. With unhygienic conditions and practices, we have developed a certain degree of immunity which has given us confidence that we can get over any problem with a home made herbal remedy. India has not faced such a pandemic and this has shaken us out of our slumber and the personal hygiene index has moved up like never before. While congregating in religious festivals with a shrug -"God is there"-they forget that God helps only those who help themselves .A timely reminder from you.SLN

chanchitra likes this.
  8. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Yes. Thanks for the fb