1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ignorance Is Bliss!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Mar 30, 2017.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

The other day I had a chat with my neighbor. She told me that her husband was always engaged with his laptop and she finds it irritating.

I asked her whether she uses computer. She told me that she never wanted to learn computer and felt that ignorance is bliss. When I asked for the reason she told that people who have computer knowledge were always surfing the net and wasting time.

I told her that there are people who use android and smart phones and they are also always messaging and chatting with different groups. I asked her whether she uses smart phone. She told that she only uses her landline or a simple cell phone only for talking. She told that she only likes to read books.

I got a point here to support ignorance is bliss.

When I had some health problem our doctor prescribed some tablets. (I mean real tablets) not the electronic ones which are also now known as tablets.

As all these allopathic medicines are having side effects I google searched and to my dismay I found one of the tablets could cause drowsiness, one could cause vomiting tendency and and another one could cause headache. I remembered the adage ‘Thalaivali poy thiruguvali vanthathu.’

I came to the conclusion that ignorance is bliss.

sindmani, Kamalji, umaakumar and 5 others like this.

2. waiting4rmlong

waiting4rmlong Gold IL'ite

Its true. Though we are technically moving forward but we never win over natural. In this computerized digtal world where we are moving further? Lot of lot big post has to write if we start discuss on this topic. Small example is earlier days we used postal letter cards which we write letters to our relatives with some feelings. Later phones arrived and we are wishing them. Now smart phones arrived so just we are using whatsapp feature to wish. So neither interacting with them nor no emotional feelings carrying. So just like that wishing.
    Using computer also one type of addiction. I also do computer work but due to female after doing job house hold activities would exist and become tired so only office hours touching computer. But for gents they are always addicted to it. Changes in World not happening good way I feel. I am not saying usage of computer is wrong but whatever we do if there is limit usage then health wise it would be good.

3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Ignorance is bliss to a certain extent.But in these days of technical advancement one should know at least to contact the nearest at the time of crisis thro whatsapp or android phone. or text message in case the one is not reachable by phone.
    Jayasala 42

Mistt likes this.
  4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear @waiting4rmlong,
    Addiction to anything is not good. Technological advance has its advantage and disadvantage. People should use it responsibly and should not become addicted to it.

PS

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Jaya,
    I agree with you. Instead of technology controlling humans it should be the other way. Humans should not become addicted to technology and use it wherever and whenever necessary.

PS

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear PS ma'm,

Choosing to be ignorant a few/certain things can be pure bliss. As much as I consider myself electronic savvy, my students beat me hands down and I am always asking them as to how they learn all this. Seems very natural to them. Your neighbor is right about many people being on their gadgets and unless we make a conscious effort to put them down, it is hard. Unlearning seems to be the new learning now. As a principle, I never google on medications! The ads here are scary enough to knock the bejeebers out of you!

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sabitha,

PS

8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear PS
    A super post indeed! There are thousands like your neighbor who hate the gadgets of doom as they call them! My wife leads them like Abou Ben Adhem! Once she told my Doctor, 'Sir, please prescribe any medicine that doesn't find a place in google'. We have enough medicines bought and not used thanks to google to start a Medical Shop! Most of these medicines give problems than cures according to google! My wife swallows happily whatever the Doctor prescribes. And gets well too! Ignorance is real bliss!
    Sri

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

@Cheeniya
    Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    Thank you for supporting me. In fact your wife is blessed as she believes doctors and not google and so she gets cured because of her belief.

We keep searching google instead of trusting the doctor whom we can see in front of us. Thus our medicines are lying unused in our medicine box. It is better we adopt Gandhi's method of nature cure.

Virtual world isolated people from the real world. People don't spend time talking with a neighbor, but chat with a person in a chat room whom they have never seen.

PS

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

It is always better to know the nature of the medicines we are consuming. Many of them can have very unpleasant side effects. Often in allopathy, the cure is worse than disease.For instance strong antibiotics can kill your appetite and cause nausea. My daughter had dengue few years ago and the anti-biotics were so strong that she couldn't even drink water without vomiting it out. Once she went off the drugs, she developed a gargantuan appetite!