If God Exists, Why Isn't It Obvious?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 27, 2016.

Where do your stand on the belief spectrum?

1. Devout believer

2. Believer with some doubts

3. Agnostic (don't know)

4. Leaning towards atheism

5. Atheist

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

lol - i haven't unliked so far, it isn't to my liking :)

but i can't respond to others with whom i haven't interacted, don't want them to get upset.

jskls and kaniths like this.
  2. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

3. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

G ji want to know what she wrote :)

jskls likes this.
  4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

No no G ji! Dont you dare peek! :oops:

jskls and GoogleGlass like this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If we extend Rajini's argument -- Without creator there is no creation -- then who created the creator? If that logic applies to the universe, it also applies to god. We can't selectively accept that argument and claim that god always existed. If god came from nothing, then why not the universe?

Here is Carl Sagan answering Rajini's question. It's a very short clip. Watch it, if only to hear his magical voice.

We'll get into Edison and Tesla some other time. : )

Laks09 and kaniths like this.
  6. Gauri03

We believe because we have mathematical models that predicted their existence long before we could experimentally prove it. Einstein didn't get up one morning and say I believe in relativity. He wrote a manuscript with thousands of proofs. Even then, they were considered untested hypotheses. Now we have experimental setups that have proven those hypotheses. Science doesn't operate on faith. There is a method to it. Science is an exercise in falsifiability. Where is the hypothesis for god? What is the experimental setup?

You say feel it?! That's neither testable, nor repeatable.

This is an appeal to authority. It's a logical fallacy. Just because the ancient Hindu scriptures are brilliant works of philosophy, does not imply they must necessarily be correct about everything else. Ben Carson is a successful neurosurgeon. He also believes Jesus rode dinosuars!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    kaniths likes this.
  7. Gauri03

If not questioning anything brings you comfort, then I'm glad it works for you. : ) But religion is a transaction. I've heard of a temple somewhere that people go to pray for US visas? Prayers for favors be it jobs, husbands, promotions are a fact of life. People have been doing business with god for millennia.

8. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

I too want to participate, but the thread already went to 9 pages, I will catch up later. coming to me, I take stuff from lot of places, and I have a guru too whose vidoes I watch and it makes lot of meaning to my logic, beliefs and my values. recently liked what irrfan khan said. Rituals is one part the real depth in it to look for, is different , I too don't believe just in rituals and for the sake of it doing.

only Arnab's show i watched till end

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  9. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

So true ! But when my dad was fighting for his last breath even then I didnt make a business deal with the Supreme. I don't know why but I had stopped making any deals or placing requests. That is not God for me

Gauri03, kaniths and KashmirFlower like this.
  10. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

If God Exists, Why Isn't It Obvious?

That's because there isn't an absolute RIGHT or WRONG. In such a case, how can God or any third party for that matter adjudicate or intervene to bring justice or as they say, PLAY GOD ?! He has empowered his creations with brains and survival instinct, then he rolled the dice. We are expected to use our so called god-given brains to do what suits us, our family, our nation and the human race. By building a little bit of divine instinct in each of us, each creation, we are fully equipped to not need our creator's intervention or help on a regular basis.

That said, I am not convinced there's a god at all. We're all just pieces of meat, there is no divine purpose, there is nothing special about any of us, although we all like to think so to create a sense of greater meaning to our lives. Our complex brain structure needs something to keep it busy, occupied and satisfy its sense of 'Self'. We, the human race, like the animals, ants, sea creatures around, are living beings who are born, live, reproduce and then one day die. Any meaning extrapolated is man-made. Between the two extreme positions, I am more in agreement with the concept propagated by the book 'The Selfish Gene' by Richard Dawkins

And in my personal opinion, religion is also man-made. It is a control technique used to keep people on the straight and narrow. The concept of heaven and hell, the concept of punishment and karma for wrong doings, and reaping dividends and a smooth life in the next birth borne out of good deeds in this birth - all of these are man-made creations used to manage society and prevent its descent into total anarchy. Like a carrot being dangled as an incentive for good behavior so that human beings can live in peaceful co-existence.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016