If God Exists, Why Isn't It Obvious?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 27, 2016.

Where do your stand on the belief spectrum?

1. Devout believer

2. Believer with some doubts

3. Agnostic (don't know)

4. Leaning towards atheism

5. Atheist

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Page 4 Gauri garu Page 4!!! Annnd not just US! ;) :lol: #K-Dance! 6.gif

Gauri03 likes this.
  2. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Sorry dear,s for not dropping in my point of view. Will do later.

Tagging @jayasala42 since I think she will do a good justice of the topic.

kaniths likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I see a lot of commonality in our thought processes. I imagine it must be the same for all who've made this journey from one side of the gallery to the other. As they say, all babies are born atheists. They have to be taught religion. : ) So the path to the unlearning perhaps brings us back to a homologous state. I find your quote above very pertinent and moving. In some sense, I feel that as an atheist I am more keenly aware of my values and duties. Maybe it is knowing that there is no eternal reward that awaits me. There is no eternal life. That this life is all I have. It gives me the impetus to live and cherish this brilliant accident of my birth. Paraphrasing Dr Carl Sagan, I was dead for billions of years and I will be dead for billions of years. By a freak alignment of atoms, for a blip on the cosmic timescale I am alive as a sapient being. What bigger miracle do I need to know how precious my life is?

Laks09, jskls, Rihana and 2 others like this.
  4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

The joke goes like babies are atheists until they are fed with lies!! :tongueclosed: No offense people! : )

yellowmango, jskls and GoogleGlass like this.
  5. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

You echoed me so well. Also brought up some memories which has the power the moist the eyes even now. almost a decade has passed since i lost someone so close.....and like a crazy i prayed...was in school.

jskls likes this.
  6. Gauri03

You remind me of this exchange from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The object in question is an imaginary creature called the Babel fish which can instantly translate any language into brainwaves and help you understand even languages you've never heard before. -- : )

"Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the NON-existence of God.
    The argument goes like this:
    `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
    `But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
    `Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly disappears in a puff of logic." :p

yellowmango, guesshoo, jskls and 2 others like this.
  7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

^^^ :lol::lol: Classic!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Gauri03 likes this.
  8. Gauri03

Omnipresent, yet not present where he is needed most? : ) Begs the question, doesn't it?

I understand what you are saying but it boils down to the same contention -- faith. In order to 'know' that god exists, you must first believe that he exists. Kinda roundabout way to prove your existence, isn't it?

yellowmango, Sairindhri and kaniths like this.
  9. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

yes G ji this is GG, there is a commanality :)

true the paths taken are the same but only the time taken, the means taken and the quantum of realization differs.

you are very decent in saying "to be taught religion" unlike K and me - we go for "fed with lies".

am little better off, am not that keen on reading, though couldn't avoid basic education, had to.

when one doesn't believe in eternal life, you have control as you are aware of the life expectancy and the objectives - similar to goal setting exercises in corporate board rooms.

when one believes in eternal and the non-existent, you justify carrying old baggage of previous births and that you would carry forward to future births - lift both hands up and say "all in creators hand", have done my best, as a doc would say.

jskls and Gauri03 like this.
  10. Sairindhri

Sairindhri Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    It depends on how much faith the person has Gauri. A person with full faith, would definitely have experienced his presence, but I can't tell why and how that happens and for few people only.
    Yes, kind of roundabout existence.
    There had been incidences of doubts before, but time changes a person.
    If there is any person, who say their belief is forever, would you accept it?
    No, right! Because we do change and situations change.
    Well, I understand what you are trying to imply, why God is not coming for the sufferers at the right time and in the first instance why make them suffer?
    Look, I am not a discourse presenter, to counter your arguments, but I would focus my attention on from Why to How to help. There is no way I can answer Why, but there are ways for me to answer How I can help.
    This is where I find religion helping me, where as I have not yet found science helping me there. It is all in the thought process. Maybe for you science helps to find the answer, either way do what you are happy with.
    We will just leave it like, that I have found solace and peace in what I do and the in the way I do. If others find solace the other way, I am not against it either.
    Sorry Gauri, I will not argue any longer here. I will leave it for others to give their perspectives.
    Cheers.

jskls and Gauri03 like this.