If God Exists, Why Isn't It Obvious?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 27, 2016.

Where do your stand on the belief spectrum?

1. Devout believer

2. Believer with some doubts

3. Agnostic (don't know)

4. Leaning towards atheism

5. Atheist

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sairindhri

Sairindhri Gold IL'ite

Theists and atheists are attracted towards each other and vice versa!:cool::smile:

2. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Sharing some thoughts. We all are in the same boat looking at the vast sea of information and trying to decipher based on our readings and experience.
    1. Sometimes we think, "I am doing good deeds so I don't need a power to guide me." But is there a person in the world who thinks and says that he/she is doing bad things? Even a suicide bomber thinks that he/she is doing good deeds and wants God to reward him/her for the act. Excluding physical hurt to someone, there are many ways one can hurt another person through other vices. It is just difficult for one to control their vices and hence one needs help to achieve that.
    2. Conversely, does it mean that if someone who believes in God never does anything "wrong"? Well most religions mention about surrendering. If we surrender to God (request God to help us guide in all our decisions), then one can't do anything "wrong". More on this below. In Gita, Krishna says about surrendering to him to help him guide. There is a song, "Itni sakti humhe dena data, maan ka vishwas kamzor ho na. Hum chale nek raste pe humse bhool kar bhi koi bhool ho na."
    3. Why does God not manifest? Well Obama or Modi doesn't manifest to us unless we have done something exceptional. We don't manifest ourselves to others unless we are comfortable. Many don't use their real names or photos on IL unless they are comfortable. Wouldn't God expect us to do something exceptional for him to manifest? Krishna manifested his Virat Swaroop only to Arjuna. Only a few knew about his divine self.
    4. Has anyone got the realization? We are not the first person in the world to recognize the agony, pain, or inequality in the world. Meerabai, Buddha, Mahavir, Narsimha Mehta, Swami Narayan, Pir Haji Ali, Swami Vivekananda, Sai Baba, Prabhu Pada and many more worked hard in their own ways and achieved realization and got the meaning of life. They influenced millions and received blessings of healing touches that still heals or lessens pain for many. If we want to achieve realization or have God manifest to us, maybe we should follow their path. These people existed just a few centuries back and not like thousands of years ago. All these people had no education or the comforts that we enjoy. All started with a small faith in God. If we are able to control our vices and not hurt others, then it doesn't matter whether we believe or not believe.
    5. Are there people currently who have had realization? Two people I had personal experience of their power. One is Pramukh Swami, the head of Swami Narayan and one is Late Pandurang Shastri, the founder of Swadhyay movement. Both without education, yet influenced millions from uneducated workers to professionals. I am sure there are many more people in all religions who have led similar life.
    6. Why there is pain and sufferings? We get upset with the pain and sufferings of humans. But if we look at the flora and fauna of the world and the sufferings of other lives, the human sufferings don't surprise us. When I see all these, I am awed by the permutation and combination and just refer it as miracle. There are insects that live only for a few hours. There are insects that die after giving birth. There are animals that face halal death, etc. Pain and suffering is relative. We see people who are less able than us differently than the people who are more able than us. A perfect sighted person may see pain in a person with an eye disease while a blind person may wish to be able to see the world even it is for a limited time. Death is certain of all living and we all know birth and death are painful. Destruction of anything is painful. So every life is in the process of death in one form or the other, some sooner some later. So there is nothing to be proud of our situation or lament about others.
    7. So is there a rewards/punishment for our deeds? Life after death has been debated in various religions. But all religions agree on some reaction to our action. Just like our court system, when and how the reaction happens no one knows. I believe that the reaction has to happen for the system to work. It should be noted that the rewards/punishment is with respect to our soul and not to our body. There is a mention about one getting heated in fire for some deeds in Srimad Bhagwatam and I always wondered about it. One day, I read about scientists finding bacteria on the lava of eruption on the bed of sea. So the body may survive the heat, but the soul must be feeling the pain.
    8. So what is God looking for? All religions agree that God looks for souls that live a life of humbleness, help others, control their vices, etc. These souls become part of the God.
    9. Should we seek out for God? Human life, for sure, has the ability to seek out and realize God. So we should at least try and seek out God while we are blessed to have that opportunity. No wonder great saints say, "Bade Bhag Manusya tan paava" Other religions also talk similarly about the blessing to have a human life.

3. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Wonerful reply.....:clap2::clap2::clap2:

4. Poetlatha

Poetlatha Platinum IL'ite

@Akanksha1982 : thanks for sharing your wonderful words of wisdom! Thoroughly enjoyed your enlightening response to this thread!

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Here is another interesting book written by a famous scientist Dr. Bruce Lipton called, "Biology of Belief". As we all know, he changed the perception of the world by changing several of the scientific experiments of the previous centuries.

Here are his views:

"We are not automatons to our genes," enthused scientist and lecturer, Dr. Bruce Lipton, who shared his concepts in the field of new biology. We all contain a "metropolis of 50 trillion citizens,"the cells in our body, which could each be considered sentient beings in their own right, yet they act together as a community, he stated.

Lipton said he had a scientific epiphany when he realized that the cell membrane was "an organic information chip" that reacted to the environment. This view of cells differed from conventional science at the time, which linked cell behavior to the genes.

Scientist and lecturer, Dr. Bruce Lipton shared his groundbreaking research in cellular biology and the mechanisms that control life. "We've given genes intelligence," Lipton explained, but genes are merely blueprints and do not determine the fate of an organism. Instead, he suggested genes are potentials that are "continuously reading the environment and adjusting the biology to conform to the perception of that environment."

As proof Lipton cited his own research, which showed a strong link between environment and the development of stem cells. Further, Lipton theorizes that skin cells act as an interface between the organism and its environment. By reading both the outside and inside worlds of an organism, the skin is able to adjust the biology to meet the needs of the environment, he said.

Lipton also discussed cellular consciousness, identity, and how perceptions control our biology -- something called epigenetic control. Lipton believes every cell is a "programmable chip" and that the genes within our cells can be rewritten to restore health and well-being. This means we have the power to heal ourselves by changing the way think about our biology, Lipton concluded.

Cells send out "protein antennas" unique to an individual person that receive signals from the outside, and thus, our identities are linked to an exterior "field of energy," he said. Just as single celled creatures evolved into more complex forms, Lipton suggested that humanity will eventually merge into a larger organization or being. This in turn would lead to complete harmony with the Earth, which could then take its place as an "intergalactic being," he concluded.

I don't think I need to add my own comments as these statements and especially the final paragraph are conclusive enough of the existence of a light or energy or divine being whatever name we call.

Viswa

6. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

I am sure where I fit in though I have replied to the poll as devout believer.

I for one believe God is there everywhere. Around me, inside me, beside me, guiding me. So where does that leave me. Safe in his hands.

Human nature is such that we always feel good when we know that someone is out there taking care of us. So we believe. Through belief we make sure we are protected. This thought gives us comfort. It makes us feel special, protected. We think nothing can harm us now that God is there since I have already prayed to him. In this process, we get ourselves rid of all negative energy and surround ourselves with positive thoughts.

Where does it lead..? Right where we should be. Leads us at a positive place. People don't realize that they have become better and come to a better place due to their thoughts.

My family is a very devout family. My dad was a priest. Our house in our village is like a mini temple with a very big pooja room. My dad claimed he has seen and felt God and it is she who guides him.

I feel its my dad with his own positive energy who created the beautiful heaven called our home. But I do believe in God.

To me God is personal. Each person emotes differently. Though everyone says God is one, why are there so many gods? For the simple reason that person created God based on what his ideal was. IF GOD is one, why are there castes, religions? Within religions we have further divisions....Rama, Krishna, Indra, Varuna, Vayu, Hanuman, ... Shiva, Shakthi.....so many.
    People choose their gods based on who they can easily relate to.

Myself and my DH believe in a theory that Rama, Krishna are actually people who lived with us long ago. They appear blue coz they are from far off planet. Have you noticed how in a rainbow you see violet. It signifies how far the planet is. You can read about this on google if needed. Its talks about how far the planet Brahma lives is.

1 human year (in Hindu calendar) = 1 Deva Ahoratra for God (1 day and 1 night)

360 Deva Ahoratras = 1 Deva Vatsara

12,000 Deva Vatsara = 1 Chaturyuga

(12,000 Deva Vatsaras are defined as, 4,800 Deva Vatsaras of Krita yuga, 3,600 Deva Vatsaras of Treta Yuga, 2,400 Deva Vatsaras of Dvapara Yuga and 1,200 Deva Vatsaras of Kali Yuga (which is 1,200 * 360 = 432,000 human years); summing up to 12000)

71 Chaturyugas = 1 Manvantaram (1 life span of Manu)

14 Manvantaras = 1 kalpa (1 day of Brahma)

2 Kalpas = 1 day + 1 Brahma ratra

360 days of Brahma = 1 Brahma varsha

Now have you watched the movie Interstellar. It talks about how for each planet, the day is different and you age according to that planet. The movie talks about time as being one of the dimensions that can be manipulated. There are so many movies on aliens that talk about how aliens can manipulate our minds - they proved it using science.

That's exactly what our forefathers told in vedas. Look at the Brahma kalpa calculation and think for urself as to where and how the planet should be. The same is proven using calculations using science.

So back to our theory....these maha purushas walked with us but were superior beings in terms of intelligence. They were able to manipulate time, they were able to communicate telepathically. They came here to show us a way of life.

Have you ever wondered why we are asked to medicate in front of god in silence? Don't you think when we meditate on God, he is able to telepathically receive our thoughts. Ever wondered why almost most of our temples or holy places are built in a particular way? For instance..if you look at lord Shiva's temples, they are built on the same longitude - in other ways words they act as antenna .... to convey our thoughts to our 'Gods'.

So the gist is it our own thoughts which make us better. We have Gods to help us reach there.

In Andhra there is forest very deep and very mysterious. In the forest way below the normal ground level is a cave at the bottom. There in that cave reside a few sanyasies who have mastered the art of living. They don't grant audience for anyone until they feel you deserve to be met. You need to undergo a serious of physical and mental aptitude tests to reach them.

My cousin had the good fortune to meet the outermost circle of those rishis. He could ask them just one question. He asked what is the meaning of life. He got the answer...look around you!

My point......God and science are one. Very few people understand that. Its ignorant people who call themselves atheists or believers. For man is just one with God. Each person had godly capabilities.

I am not sure if made sense. Sorry for the long post. I am glad to share more points on the said theory that me and my DH are working on - if anybody wants to know about it.

7. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

its not because i am atheist, i but just like KAMAL's Dialogue "Kadavul illanu yarunga sonna, iruntha nalla irukumnu than solrom" :D

kaniths and Sairindhri like this.
  8. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Akanksha......Wonderful reading your post.Yes very true that we are all in the same boat sailing in the vast ocean of information,but you have succeeded in gathering some pearls from the depths of the vast ocean to present before us some answers to the questions for which some of us are yet to find the answers especially about pain and suffering.Your explanations are so clear and easy to comprehend.... Have quoted the lines that really impressed.....
    Akanksha

Sairindhri likes this.
  9. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

Thank you @Viswamitra .. Apt mention of one of the 1000 must read books in a lifetime. For those who can not get their hands on it, Here is the link to the audiobook on youtube-

Paulina, Viswamitra and Sairindhri like this.
  10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Gauri03,

First of all....You are one gutsy lady!!
    Why you may ask in spite of knowing the reason! :) We have all been told at one time or another not to touch religion and politics as topics for discussion for it inevitably ends in arguments and bad blood! Knowingly, you did open this Pandora box and have been very successful in avoiding heated arguments and kept the thread running into 35+ pages. No mean task that, hats off to you!

One main reason for the success of this thread could be that Everyone of us have pondered over this question of God! The number of replies, the thoughts, the discussion and the reasons given and the books read and explored, the various dogmas and doctrines mentioned, the disillusions and the beliefs given in this thread is mind boggling, enriching, educating and really informative.

I could identify with many, agree with many and as I read, wanted to be a staunch believer, a questioning believer, an atheist and agnostic in turns! So you may ( or may not!) guess where my beliefs lie?! So much has been said and so much has been discussed. Coming here at this point, I actually have nothing more to add but have plenty to learn and ponder. Also, coming so late, I admit I did not and could not read and absorb many posts in detail. Will need much more time to do that and know I will be looking up this thread often in future.

One thing I must say. I have crossed quite a few decades and that makes me older than most of our members here! But I don't think I have as much knowledge and thoughtfulness that so many of our members have. I am awed by all of you. If this is how the younger generation is reading and thinking, I feel we have a better future to envision!

Congratulations on starting this thread. This was nominated to FP by @iyerviji ma and she did chose the finest!

L, Kamla

Amica, Paulina, kaniths and 9 others like this.